New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELOC Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
The draw period on my home equity line of credit expires in July of this year. I never used it but it was nice to know it was there, just in case. The bank is already contacting me, asking me to renew. The new 10 year draw period they're offering comes at a cost...a $65 annual fee. Is an annual fee the norm these days for a HELOC? Would you pay the $65 a year and stay where you're at or would you move on to another institution?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No fee on mine I got it last year.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few things to think abut.

The lovely new tax law removes the ability to deduct interest from a HELOC. Please consult your tax advisor.

But it could still be a good way to access cash. If you look at moving, there will be application and new underwriting. There could be costs with this for appraisals and closing.

Mine went from $50 to $60 in the past year.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I pay $35 annually for the privilege of having a line available. I haven't used it in 4 years and it expires in a year. I'll probably move it from my bank to a place that doesn't charge a fee at expiration.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had mine probably 15 years but haven't used it in over 10. No expiration and no set draw period IIRC. They just refigure payments as needed targeting a 10 year pay off. Never paid a fee. Variable interest rate, currently 3.5%. It's with a credit union so may be different.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why would you pay a fee for a line of credit that is backed by the equity in your house?
I can see an unsecured credit card (like AE) but on your own Equity - not me.
Confused

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
Few things to think abut.

The lovely new tax law removes the ability to deduct interest from a HELOC. Please consult your tax advisor.

But it could still be a good way to access cash. If you look at moving, there will be application and new underwriting. There could be costs with this for appraisals and closing.

Mine went from $50 to $60 in the past year.

This^^^^

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Renewed ours this year without any annual fee. I'm with others here in that I'm not paying a fee for drawing against my own equity.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im a lender and my bank does not charge an annual fee on residential HELOCS but we also have very conservative LTV/CLTV values. My personal HELOC with a local CU was the same rate at 60% as it was at 80% CLTV no annual fee.

They are around just shop. you should also be able to find Prime+0 or prime minus up to 80% easily. Prime + on a primary res is no good.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few things to think about.

The lovely new tax law removes the ability to deduct interest from a HELOC.

If fewer people keep their HELOCs, banks may offer better terms to retain and attract new clients.

My Prime minus 0.51% expires in 18 months. Their $50 fee has been applied without recision only in recent years, the first decade having been waived.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post