SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the later model Honda Pilot.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the later model Honda Pilot. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I've been a 4runner fan, but have recently looked at a couple of AWD/4WD Honda Pilots. One was a 2011 at a really good price, and the other was a 2014 at a fair price.

Any thoughts or experience with the later models? Are they about like a 4runner in the fact you can drive them for several hundred thousand miles?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you won't be doing serious off-roading or bucking very deep snow, Pilots are perfectly reliable. Think of it as more of an "all-weather" vehicle. I have seen quite a few (but a little bit older) with 100-200,000 miles. The Pilot engine does have a timing belt. The 4Runner is much more "truck-like," being, obviously, a truck chassis (full frame and solid rear axle).

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My brother has had 2 still has a 2013 (I think) and both went well over 100k with no major issues.
He likes them. They are like most Honda’s and are extremely bland on the interior.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
We just got rid of our AWD 2015 EXL Pilot w navi.
Overall not a bad vehicle. We never had an issue with it.
- It was very good in snow.
- We took several long trips in it and I never really found it 100% comfortable. I always had to put a blanket on my seat to get comfortable. The seat did not go back far enough.
- Gas mileage was okay, usually around 21 mpg on hwy.
- Engine was sufficient in power for our needs, never towed with it.
- For some strange reason, even though there was a backup camera, my wife struck several items while backing. I am sure it was the camera's fault. My insurance company, however; did not agree. Smile

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
We had a 2014 Pilot. Good reliable vehicle.

I was never in love with it as the front driver’s leg room was poor for a 6ft driver with proportional leg length, and the head rests were uncomfortable.

That said, we didnt have any issues with it in the 45k miles we owned it. It was nice having always on 4wd. We have alot of snow, black ice, slick snow roads in random spots.

Not having to throw a vehicle into 4wd for an unexpected black ice covered road curve sure is nice!

We traded the Pilot in on a 2017 Toyota Highlander with AWD and split captains chairs for the middle row. The Highlander exudes a much higher quality and refined feel IMO. It handles very well in bad weather. The downside is that it is a little tighter in the 3rd row and storage areas. That said, we are very happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fusternc,

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Honda's Pilot is more along the line of Toyota's Highlander and both seem to be pretty reliable.

One thing I don't like on the Honda is the VCM which deactivates 2 or 3 of the 6 cylinders under certain light throttle driving. There have been cases of excess oil consumption and uneven engine wear on some as miles accumulate.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone else said it is more comparable to the Highlander. The 4runner is a truck. Hondas are great cars and the pilot is no exception. It will be cheaper than either Toyota as well. Ultimately it comes down to what you are wanting out of the vehicle. From a reliability and dependability perspective either are great choices.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you don't need the Pilot's third row of seating, or the long pass-through interior storage, check out the Gen 1 (2014 and earlier) Honda Ridgelines as well.

AWD, like the Pilot.

Unibody, so it rides like a SUV, rather than a truck.

Similar interior size to the Pilot (for the first two rows), but the interior's laid out a bit better IMO.

Similar V6 engine to the Pilot, but it doesn't have the VCM and associated issues of the Pilot.

And even if you don't need the truck bed most of the time, there's a large trunk underneath it for storage.

Ridgelines will go for several hundred thousand miles.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
As with most honda engines, 100k miles timing belt and water pump service are necessary.

Brakes can be known as weak and don't hold up to heat very well. -- A fair number of Odyssey complaints for torched rotors etc which is a platform mate of the Pilot

AWD systems are just that, not true 4wd and are still mostly front based.

Very comfortable vehicles, responsive V6, typically regarded as well put together with good finish.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The 2G Pilot was criticized a bit for poor safety ratings.

Small frontal offset rating: Poor
Roof Strength 09-11: Marginal
Roof Strength 12-15: Good

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
We test drove a 2017 Pilot, and while nice, we both liked the Highlander better. One thing in the Pilot is the CV transmission. I felt like that limited power, especially when pulling out into traffic. It felt very sluggish and didn't have the pep we were expecting.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We test drove a 2017 Pilot, and while nice, we both liked the Highlander better.

I'd say if you're used to Toyota and like 4Runners... you will probably like the Highlander better than the Pilot.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Honda 2017 Pilot EXL last fall.
It is a good all weather car. I wanted something with room and AWD.

Note there are two transmissions in 2016 and newer Pilots. The two top models Elite and Touring have the infamous ZF 9 speed that Jeep users dislike. There is not much love for the ZF in the Honda community. The other model pilots have a smooth 6 speed auto.

If you are driving a Honda and it feels sluggish check to see if it is in ECO mode. There is a dashboard button which turns the mode on. The ECO mode really dulls response.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-law has a Pilot. I've driven it a couple of times, and didn't really care for it all that much. It's a nice ride around town. Long trips the leg room was an issue for me. She's complained that it's not the greatest in the snow. I drove it on one of the bigger family vacations and didn't have any issues with it as far as ride, blind spots, maneuverability for size or anything, although it feels really wide from the perspective of the driver's seat. But i'm used to small cars, too.
My MIL loves it, though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I’ll add we have a 2012 Highlander with 55k miles and I’ll take it over my brothers Pilot any day.
The Highlander is a beast in the snow even on 19” all season highway tread!
It was actually kind of pissing be off the other night it was so good in the snow, I was trying to have some fun and it just kept correcting itself like a champ. Had to turn off the traction control to get sliding.

Not as good as my Audi was in the snow but certainly formidable.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owned both (Acura MDX). Have a 2008 GX470 (basically a pimped 4runner) currently. The comment on the Pilot being a lot more Highlander than 4runner is true. Light offroad and towing is fine. Honda has had issues with this model in the past with the transmission. Could you get 200-300k miles on it, maybe, but on a 4runner you could pretty much expect that kind of mileage as pretty reasonable. The 4runner should have a full transfer case with true high and lo whereas the Honda will not.

Honda makes a nice vehicle, often at a good discount below a comparable Toyota. However, in this case Honda doesn't really make an offroad vehicle of the caliber that Toyota offers. I wouldn't personally buy another Pilot/MDX again based on my experiences with the wear and tear. I had engine mounts fail prematurely and a some issues with the rear suspension. Nothing crazy, but enough little things to make me think it was more of a glorified minivan than an offroad vehicle.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve driven a 2011 base model Pilot quite a bit. Front seat legroom is limited if you are 6’+. I’m fine driving it, but wish there was a bit more stretch room when I’m in the front passenger seat.

Middle seat is comfortable for a back seat, and has decent legroom. Haven’t sat in the third row except to test it at the dealer; it was ok.

Other than front legroom the thing is huge inside; it’s just a freaking box. That also makes it big and square outside. If you have any drivers that are iffy on backing skills, make sure you get the backup camera. I think (but do not know) that if you have the color screen infotainment system that you can add the camera if it isn’t installed.

It drives well on long trips, and in the snow. In particular it seems to brake and turn much better in snow and on ice than it should for its size and weight.

Oil and engine wear from the cylinder deactivation is known (and not just Honda); a lot of big body and heavy vehicles are using it to get better mileage (refer back to it being a freaking box; mpg doesn’t come from unicorn farts).

Tow rating is optimistic; if you max it you’ll get about 8 mpg. If you do it a lot you’ll probably be buying a new trans.

But for people? Not much that beats it for the cost, size, mpg, comfort, and ease of use and features. If the budget was there I would look for the latest year gen 2 with the most features (other than a sunroof; headroom and leaks) that I could find. Find a good Honda mechanic, check and change the oil, and drive it until it dies.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 with 120K on it. I have done the 100K timing belt replacement, and one power steering pump. To be fair...the PS pump died one morning at -40 degrees after sitting for a week outside. So that may have been a rare situation.

Other than tires, oil changes, air filters and wiper blades....NO other issues.

It is a great winter vehicle. I run Blizzaks all around and it goes surprisingly well in deep snow.

I would have bought a new one last year, simply because I don't like 100K on a vehicle...But do not like the mini van look to the new ones. So decided to keep this one.

Just drove 800 miles down to Vegas yesterday. Averaged 21 mpg at 80-85 mph over most of it.

Big Honda fan here. We have had 4 CR-v's and this Pilot.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Have an '04 with 160K, runs great with minimal issues - did the 100K stuff and change the oil / brakes / tires, otherwise that is it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2010 Pilot with over 150k miles and no issues. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 100k and have kept Michelins on it. It’s been very reliable and my wife still loves it. The only primary complaint I have is the highway noise in the cabin.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post