SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aviation Terminology Help For a Layman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aviation Terminology Help For a Layman Login/Join 
posted
I always get confused in following aviation related threads. This list of terms with layman explanation of the term meaning should help me? Are there others?

Useful Aviation Terms
AIRSPEED – Speed of an airplane. (Deduct 25% when listening to a retired fighter pilot.)
BANK – The folks who hold the lien on most pilots’ cars.
CARBURETOR ICING – A phenomenon reported to the FAA by pilots immediately after they run out of gas.
CONE OF CONFUSION – An area about the size of New Jersey located near the final approach fix at an airport.
DEAD RECKONING – You reckon correctly, or you are.
DESTINATION – Geographical location 30 minutes beyond the pilot’s bladder saturation point.
ENGINE FAILURE – A condition that occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with low-octane air.
FIREWALL – Section of the aircraft specifically designed to funnel heat and smoke into the cockpit.
GLIDE DISTANCE – Roughly half the distance from an airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
HYDROPLANE – An airplane designed to land long on a short and wet runway.
LEAN MIXTURE – Nonalcoholic beer.
MINI MAG LITE – Device designed to support the AA battery industry.
NANOSECOND – Time delay between the Low Fuel Warning light and the onset of carburetor icing.
PARASITIC DRAG – A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.
RICH MIXTURE – What you order at another pilot’s promotion party.
ROGER – Used when you’re not sure what else to say.
SECTIONAL CHART – Any chart that ends 25 nm short of your destination.
SERVICE CEILING – Altitude at which cabin crew can serve drinks.
SPOILERS – FAA Inspectors.
STALL – Technique used to explain to the bank why your car payment is late.
STEEP BANKS – Banks that charge pilots more than 10% interest
TURN & BANK INDICATOR – An instrument largely ignored by pilots.
USEFUL LOAD – Volumetric capacity of the aircraft, disregarding weight.
WAC CHART – Directions to the Army female barracks.
YANKEE – Any pilot who has to ask the New Orleans tower to “Say again”.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, enjoyed that.
Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
PROP WASH - For cleaning propellers.
JET WASH - For cleaning jet engines.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The YANKEE definition reminded me of a story. A C-130 was bound for Hawaii. Along the route, the controller cleared them direct to Hickam. The copilot queried him, requesting direct to the Honolulu NAVAID. The controller again cleared them direct Hickam, and the copilot again requested Honolulu. The controller came back with “Cannot say ‘Honoruru.’ Cleared direct Hickam.” So, they went to Hickam.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I once stopped for fuel somewhere in AL, and was delighted to find a FSS on the field. After a very thorough wx briefing including forecast winds 25 knots on the chin, the nice briefer asked if there was anything else he could help me with.

I said "Sure, how about a tailwind?"

The briefer's immediate response, in his best Southern drawl, "We don't give tailwinds to Yankees"

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I remember a story, years ago, that The State of Montana had a State airplane for the Governor, it was named “Big Sky One”.

They were asking landing instructions in Wyoming and the Wyoming controller kept referring to them as “Pig Sty One”.

After a number of terse responses from Big Sky One to correct their ID, they finally gave up and landed anyway.

It’s funny how sometimes atmospheric conditions make radio transmissions sound a little hard to understand Big Grin

Presidents Plane: Air Force One
Secretary of Agriculture Plane: John Deere One
Secretary of Education Plane: School Bus One

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

I once stopped for fuel somewhere in AL, and was delighted to find a FSS on the field. After a very thorough wx briefing including forecast winds 25 knots on the chin, the nice briefer asked if there was anything else he could help me with.

I said "Sure, how about a tailwind?"

The briefer's immediate response, in his best Southern drawl, "We don't give tailwinds to Yankees"
I made a fuel stop (really a bladder stop) on my way to visit the kids / grandkids. Small airport, small FBO. I used the restroom, and then paid for the fuel. There was a flight instructor with a student in the FBO, they were sitting at a table with a sectional chart in front of them, the instructor was showing the student how to lay out a flight. On my way out of the door, I paused and asked, "Ohio is that way, right?" while pointing in the wrong direction. The looks that I got as I walked out, were priceless.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For fun, preflight with dark sunglasses and a white cane. Feel the way around the airplane. Note the reaction of those around you.

We did a trip in a Sabreliner for a corporate group. The CEO knew one of his board was a nervous flyer, and asked us to put some duct tape near the door. We had several strips handing down, and one from the leading edge slat. When the board member climbed in, he shrieked, "What's that?"

"Oh, that's always falling down. Sorry. We just smooth it out, and it's fine." We pushed the leading edge slat into place and taped it there. The CEO was appreciative.

For genuine fun, with a long stick of jumpers, when the red light comes on and everyone stands up, removes the static caribiner from the person ahead of them, clips into the static line, and the doors open, reach into your field jacket and remove an air sick bag into which you put a scoop of soup earlier in the day. Pretend to vomit, then reach into the bag, take a big handfull and eat it. As the green light comes on and everyone shuffles to the door, it's like a tidal wave of throw-up as one person after another loses it.

Flight humor.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
squawking ,
you forgot squawking,
it's my favorite term

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
In the 1960s, I was an instructor at a large instrument training school at Chicago Midway airport.

With the cold Chicago winters and the moist wind blowing in off the lake, the possibility of airframe icing in the clouds was always a concern, so on days when that was likely, we always sent an instructor up, first thing in the morning, to check for actual icing, while we listened to the radio in the instructors' lounge.

We took turns making the "ice check" flights. One morning, one of the instructors was climbing through the overcast. At that time we did not have Mode C (altitude reporting) transponders in the school airplanes. Chicago Approach control, needing to know what altitudes were occupied, said, "Seven zero alpha tango, say your altitude."

The smart-ass instructor said "Your altitude."

Approach control said, "Seven zero alpha tango,say 'cancel my IFR clearance.'"

Smart-ass instructor replied, "Climbing through three thousand."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
FLIGHT LINE: Item new employees are sent to retrieve from supply. Usually on the shelf between the muffler bearings and Knuten Valves.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, when Republic Airlines merged with Northwest , Northwest sent a “supervisor “ to Republics base in Detroit, to show us how it was supposed to be done. He knew nothing about airplanes, but was a pain in the ass. It was winter and busy , so they sent him from one concourse to another looking for snow tires for a 747.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post