SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    flying with a gun soon... refresher... UPDATE in OP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flying with a gun soon... refresher... UPDATE in OP Login/Join 
posted
I will find the regs and print them out. (Southwest if it matters...)

Cliff notes:

Declared / in checked luggage

In a locked case (I got a Pelican), unloaded (cartridges can be inside same container)

Pelican can go inside another larger bag.

Correct?

UPDATE: Flew Southwest both ways with a handgun in checked bag. No issues. Ticketing agents were well-informed and courteous. Basically a hassle-free process.

My only advice is allow extra time to process the check-in as you can't do it one of the self-serve kiosks... you have to go through a full-service line to see the ticketing / baggage agent.

--------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me. I also use a cable to attach the pistol case to the frame of the suitcase. That way it is a little more work for a sticky fingered baggage handler to remove it from my suitcase. I also use a small lock on the zipper of the suitcase to further secure it.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Correct....and only YOU can have the key/combo to open the gun case. Recently flew SW out of philly- both TSA and SW wanted access to the case - to "inspect" it. They were quite miffed when told only I can open it for them. Return out of St.Louis - no issues at all.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Correct....and only YOU can have the key/combo to open the gun case. Recently flew SW out of philly- both TSA and SW wanted access to the case - to "inspect" it. They were quite miffed when told only I can open it for them. Return out of St.Louis - no issues at all.

This is a key point - print and have handy both the airlines rules and TSA rules as the odds are good that you will run across employees of either or both that are "confused" about the rules. I once had an airline employee get all in a dither about a partially filled factory box of ammunition. Thankfully, one of her coworkers had a clue that, "Yes, factory packaging is okay, and no, the box is not required to be full."

In general, I find it easier to go along on most things, but if they want to do something that is outside the rules that I am not okay with* it is nice to have a copy of the regs."

*Yes, I am supposed to show the airline rep it is unloaded. I'm fine with showing a TSA rep as well, though if the have a clue how to run their machines they can easily see that without cracking the case. No, I am not comfortable with them putting their grubbies on my pistol or pistols and nowhere in the regs does it require me to allow that.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
TSA compliant padlock on the outside zipper, so they can open it.
Non-TSA compliant padlock on the Pelican case, so they can't.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fly with an old Samsonite case that has key locks. This is the last piece of luggage one would expect to find an X-5 or other quality firearm.
Zippered luggage is very easy to open and close without a key. There are videos on youtube showing how this is done.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just flew to Alaska from Phoenix 2 days ago with 8 guns in 2 different cases.

Basically I have 2 pelican cases but I ditched the middle foam piece and fit long guns in (I had them inside gun socks, And the shotgun had to be disassembled. I fit as much ammo as I could which wasn't all that much (maybe 500 rounds total) and as you said, all ammo should be in its origional package or in "A" origional pack (I had a box of mixed 30-06 and 308.

After everything was in the cases, I fit clothes around everything to add some padding and keep things from moving around.

My cases have 4 latches each but 2 of the locks on each case have built in locks. In addition to the 2 built in locks, I used 4 brass master locks on each case. I was worried my locks wouldn't fly but I was actually complimented on my locks. Not only by the airline people but by the TSA check out guy.

Anyways, I signed a paper for each case saying the guns were unloaded, I hade to open each case for them to put a paper inside but they didn't go through the cases then we walked down a little ways and gave the cases to the TSA I assume he put them through an x Ray but I couldn't see, he came back and gave the cases back and they were taken to be put on the plane.

When I got to anchorage, all I had to do was go to the oversized baggage claim and show my ID.
I believe each gun case weighed ~ 45lbs and I paid 35 dollars for each as extra baggage.

All in all, I had absolutely no problems and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I've found that disassembling my pistol before packing it in the case makes things easier when flying. My Glock is in three pieces, easy to see that it is unloaded. Never had any issue since I started doing that. I fly fairly often and the only issue I've had lately is the airline (Delta) secured my bag with a zip tie. Now I carry fingernail clippers without a file so I can cut the tie.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about doing that but I didn't. I left the slide on a glock locked back, I left the bolts in my rifles but had to disassemble the shotgun due to its length.

I suppose if I was only traveling with the glock I might disassemble it but I was anticipating much more of a hassle which never happened.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
No more than eleven pounds (five kilos) of ammunition.

The lock on the gun case must NOT be a TSA lock. It must be a lock that ONLY you can open.

If airline personnel or TSA goons want the key to this lock, you MUST refuse! This is clearly spelled out in the Federal Regulations. You must open it for inspection if requested, but you MUST retain possession of the key. This point is not always understood by the "authorities" so it would be a good idea for you to have a hard copy of the regs with you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen!

-----------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Link to the TSA, Transporting Firearms and Ammunition page

The fourth bullet under Firearms says (the emphasis are mine)
quote:
Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
It sounds like you may have to give them the keys if they request them. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just flew Southwest from Austin to Saint Louis, and it was the easiest check in with a firearm yet. Just tell the check in agent (it must be at the main desk, not the curbside) that you need a firearms declaration filled out. In my case the gent filled out the form, gave it to me for address, phone, and signature. She then placed the form in the suitcase, closed it up, and off it went on the conveyer. Other times I had to take the case to a TSA agent who inspected the case and had me open it up. Then fussed at me for leaning over the rail to do so, like there was some other way. Telekinesis, maybe? As has been pointed out in this thread and elsewhere the firearm needs to be unloaded (dissassembled is better) with the ammo in original boxes or magazines in some kind of case all in a lockable hard sided container with a key or combination only you have. I used a Snap Safe metal box with a cable looped around the metal spine under the liner.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I will find the regs and print them out. (Southwest if it matters...)

Cliff notes:

Declared / in checked luggage

In a locked case (I got a Pelican), unloaded (cartridges can be inside same container)

Pelican can go inside another larger bag.

Correct?

--------------------------------------

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
What amazes me is the delivery on the other end. Sometimes the gun case (talking a full length rifle/shot gun case) comes out with the regular luggage. In Denver it was put on the device they use for snow skis and golf clubs. A couple times it's at the counter that handles lost luggage. One time a worker brought it out and literally let the case drop from his hand (idiot!).

Last Nov I went duck hunting and in Memphis the gun cases came out with the luggage but as you walked away an airline person asked to see the claim check. As she was checking mine, a couple guys with gun cases walked by her. A really secure system. Eek

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I've made two commercial round trips with a pistol secured in a Pelican case in a suitcase. Things have been different each time. On the outbound leg of the first trip (small airport) the counter agent called the TSA guy over (who I'd already checked with the day before to make sure I knew what was expected) to see if I needed to open it up to show him. He said, "Nope I can see all that when it goes through the machine." Initially, she wanted me to open the locked gun case so she could put the declaration inside, but another gate agent explained that it should be inside the suitcase, but outside the gun case so folks could see it if inspecting. On the return leg of the first trip (small airport near the Sig Sauer Academy) the gate agent asked me to show her the pistols were unloaded (like the first one should have), then once I had closed the gun case stuck the declaration on it, had me close the suitcase, and sent it on its way into the baggage system. On arrival on both ends of this trip the bag was handled like any other bag and I got it off the carousel as usual. On the outbound leg of the second trip (same small departure airport to PHX) the counter agent handled everything as I expected was correct. However, on arrival, there was no sign of the bag with the firearm. After worrying a bit, went to the luggage office and there it was. According to the rep that was normal handling for bags with firearms. Getting out of PHX was an interesting rodeo with an American counter agent who obviously had a problem with the whole concept of people having guns. She was the one who was trying to tell me that a partially full original manufacturers box was not okay. Thankfully, one of her more clueful counterparts straightened her out on that. Next she walked me over to the TSA area so they could bless the bah, then finally back to bag check. She assured me that the bag would be in the luggage office at the next airport. The lovely bride and I did a divide and conquer, with her going to the luggage office (which was closer) and me going to the carousel. Guess who got the bag? And nope, nobody ever asked to see my claim check. Just ran by the office, picked up the lovely bride and we were on our way. It is always an adventure with the airlines...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
update in OP

----------------------------

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Link to the TSA, Transporting Firearms and Ammunition page

The fourth bullet under Firearms says (the emphasis are mine)
quote:
Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
It sounds like you may have to give them the keys if they request them. Am I reading this incorrectly?

No, TSA did.

The Code of Federal Regulations is clear, the passenger is to be the only person with the key or combo. Their "guidance" does not supercede the CFR. If they want that, change the CFR.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Sig2340.
"Their (the TSA's) "guidance" does not supercede the CFR." -- Does the TSA know this?

For reference:
ELECTRONIC CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS Link

Title 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter XII → Subchapter C → Part 1540

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post