SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plants to ward off mosquitoes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plants to ward off mosquitoes Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
and other insects.

Any recommendations?

I've read online that citronella is one that's used but other online articles say it doesn't work.

Was looking for experience from the Sig Forum experts.

Where should the plants be placed? How many would I need?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joshua Tree.
Won't grow near you, but if you move to where it grows you won't have any mosquito's to worry with.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Excellent question.

If anyone also happens to know of a plant/s that ward off gnats, please come forward.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research into this as I have a nice front porch to sit on.

Lemon Grass, Rosemary, and Marigolds help mildly. Marigolds will bring bumble bees if I am remembering that correctly.

I used to trim the tips off the lemon grass once they got big but I would say it's about 30% effective. In all my research the best thing I found was a 5mph wind and skeeters cant navigate through it. So I bought a box fan after spending a bunch on plants that were so so. I also made up a lotion that was lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil, and rosemary oil that works for about 3 hours on its own. But wind was still the best.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If only it were that easy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get rid of standing water sources early in the year. I have two 55 gallon rain barrels for emergency water sources that I have screens on. We had swallows nesting under our porch for years. One year I sprayed the yard with weed and feed stuff and they didn't nest for a couple years. So now I don't spray anything on the grass and the swallows show up and vacuum every damned flying insect right out of the sky.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
American Beautyberry.....works for mosquitoes, ticks and ants.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Lemongrass works decently with lot of insects.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

the monsanto plant ,
no bugs for miles Big Grin

Very nice!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Plant one of these next to your patio and you will never have to worry about insects again.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Lemon Balm, Peppermint, Lavender, and Oregano. I have Lemon Balm and Lavender in planters on my deck, and Peppermint and Oregano growing about the yard. These plants repel a variety of things, including mosquitoes.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who insists that the answer is NO plants near their porch. It seems to work, but no so much for the no-see-ums.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Excellent question.

If anyone also happens to know of a plant/s that ward off gnats, please come forward.

Lavender

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We use a mosquito vacuum located in the back corner of the yard (away from where we are). It has 2 bird houses and a bird feeder close to it.
Another bird feeder in the front yard.

We keep grasses short, and church up all standing water. Planter beds utilize the synthetic mulch with anti-bug pesticides in it.

We're virtually mosquito free in one of the worst mosquito areas in the world. I hate mosquitos. Just a few houses over, the mosquitos are terrible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Mosquito vacuum? What is that ?

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
Mosquito vacuum? What is that ?

https://smile.amazon.com/Skeet...WQDK530R88X9VXAVGE83

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is the retired principal scientist of a mosquito control company. She killed them world wide with all sorts of stuff. In America it's all about environmental awareness and sustainability. Products have to dissolve completely in certain time frames. Killing larva is one thing killing adults is another. In other countries like Mexico or Saudi Arabia they could care less about environmental concerns just kill the bastards. Spraying from planes and soon drones. Lots of interesting stuff. Get rid of standing water, even a cup full. As far as plants go good luck, mosquitos build up resistance to man made chemicals incredibly fast. So plants are a cake walk for them. In order to control them they have to constantly change application techniques and formulations to stay ahead of them. Mosquitos kill more humans annually than one could even imagine, millions per year globally. The diseases they spread are horrendous malaria, dengue, on and on.. Nasty little bastards..

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
DDT used to work great.

If you can find some, let me know. Otherwise malathion. Don't waste your time and effort with plants. They won't work.

Poison and dry weather are your only hope. Without those, ThermaCells work really well to keep them out of the immediate area. Doesn't kill them, but it keeps them away.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Excellent question.

Lavender

Really?

Suppose I'll be headed to Lowes here soon for some lavender.

Those skeeter vacs sound interesting too, but a bit pricey to purchase and operate.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post