SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travel dufflebag?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel dufflebag? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I've got this ancient Samsonite travel bag, one of those ones you unfold, put a suit or whatever in, fold it in half and zip it up.....well, it's pretty much had it. I think I got it in 1985 as a high school graduation gift.

I also have a couple of new Osprey backpacks, but those aren't really what I want for work or recreational travel. I'm thinking a zippered duffel, maybe with compartments (like to keep shoes separate from clothes, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to go over say $200, it doesn't met carry-on dimensions. Not sure on size. I was looking at a 60l REI bag but I wonder if maybe a little bigger would be good.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://yukon-outfitters.com/p...?variant=12321229249

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Boyt makes some sturdy bags, Midwayusa sells them. I thought there was a bag thread here not to long ago.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tom Bihn Aeronaut (tombihn.com) that works very well for both business casual as well as recreational travel. Looks like new after 8 years of regular use.

Red Oxx also makes several types of bags that will last forever.

Neither choice is cheap, but provide good overall value.

Les

Posts: 6 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
MSRP is above what you listed but you might find one on sale. It’s a great bag.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/p...0l-30-SHUTTLE30.html

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Maxpedition makes great gear, and I have an older version of this duffel bag from them and I love it:

https://www.maxpedition.com/co...?variant=27343309960

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patagonia

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
OOooooooo......I like those Red Oxx safari bags! I think that may be just the ticket!

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Duped myself. Pls see below

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
The Red Oxx bags are nice. Very sturdy. And U.S. made.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
BAD bags. Best American Duffel. Just look into them.

http://www.badbags.com/index.php/meet-the-bad-bags

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REI any day of the week. London Bridge Trading when what you want is on sale. Don't pay their "regular" prices.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a couple of these (one for me, one for my son) and we love them. Big enough for a few days journey, and small enough to stow in the cabin overhead. Just a great all around bag. And if you watch Woot.com you can find these on sale occasionally for like $40.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just some thoughts. I want any bag that I'm flying with to have wheels. Call me lazy but I've had to walk a mile or two carrying a 20-30lb bag and didn't really care to have to do that. Wheels for me are essential.

I also like having one that I can sit on if I need to. I've been stuck in long lines away from the seats at the airport and it was nice to have my own emergency place to sit for a few minutes.

Bag sizes allowed can be varied too. A lot of bags just fine on longer flights are going to be gate checked if you fly on a smaller regional Embraer or the like. I like having a smaller bag that definately will fit under any seat with my essentials in case my larger rolling back is gate checked and I can't get to it in flight. I make sure the handle is large enough I can set it around the rolling handle of the larger wheeled bag.

There are lots of good camera bags that have removable interiors and are great for HD travel.

Anyway just some things to consider.......dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Budget option: https://www.amazon.com/Samsoni...ottom+wheeled+duffel

I've only used it for two trips so far, but so far so good.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking for a duffel for a while too and like the option to wear as a backpack. Just haven’t found the right one yet.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I don't do airports. LOL But yeah, wheels would be okay.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a Filson large rolling duffle, have used it for years and it's held up well.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
https://www.frostriver.com/product-category/luggage/

American made. Take your pick.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have a few Red Oxx bags (Air Boss, PR5, and PR5.5) that I have used for trips all over the country and they are bomb proof.

You can also fit a surprising amount of stuff in them since they can be treated like a large stuff sack without bursting the heavy duty seams and zippers.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post