SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New policy recommends police officers fire 'warning shots' in serious situations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New policy recommends police officers fire 'warning shots' in serious situations Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Or maybe they could simply yell “POLICE! Stop or I’ll shoot!”

Problem solved.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Confused

So, what about the campaign to get people to forego firing guns in the air on New Year's Eve?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This isnt going to save the precious thugs from dying at the hands of the police, because all those precious baby boys will continue to rape this society until they're locked up or shot dead.

Everyone knows what this is about. It's not about saving the lives of citizens. Its an effort to slow down the death rate of criminal yutes, and it will not work.

Detroit? Yeah, that figures, doesn't it? Roll Eyes

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I can't believe it but there is no video clip online from the Paul Regret duel in the movie Comancheros. Regret tries to fire his warning shot but because his opponent stepped sideways when he turned he stepped into the path of the bullet and died.

Sounds like this needs to be the party line of the "warning shot policy".

The stupid is strong in those who voted for this.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh, hell no!

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The bad part is that now any time there is a trial the defense will say that it's now recommended practice to fire a warning shot, so why didn't the officer follow the advice. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The bad part is that now any time there is a trial the defense will say that it's now recommended practice to fire a warning shot, so why didn't the officer follow the advice.

Easy. Because our use of force policy specifically prohibits warning shots.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The bad part is that now any time there is a trial the defense will say that it's now recommended practice to fire a warning shot, so why didn't the officer follow the advice.

Easy. Because our use of force policy specifically prohibits warning shots.

I know most if not all departments will scoff at this nonsense, but you know attorneys will use this at trial to try to paint the LEOs as bloodthirsty killers, unwilling to give the poor misguided 'youth' a chance.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In other news, LE agencies are now being sued at a higher rate. Attorneys for the plaintiff claim that the police provoked multiple shootings by firing "warning shots". The plaintiff's all believed that they were being needlessly attacked and shot at by the police, and returned fire. Roll Eyes

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Mr. DeLuca must be a chundering moron.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Maybe just shoot 'em in the leg or arm...

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No one is going to disband the IACP for making stupid position statements. Keep in mind that the first word of the organization name is “International.” Although I haven’t seen anything recently in the vein, probably because it’s not an organization I usually pay any attention to, they have been against private gun ownership for decades. This “warning shot” issue first came up weeks ago, and most LEO comments I read condemned it as the idiot idea that it clearly is.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
How about instead, they drive around the city once a year and broadcast a Warning Announcement over a bunch of loudspeakers:

WARNING! WARNING! IF YOU SHOOT AT THE POLICE OR ANYBODY ELSE WE WILL KILL YOUR ASS!! WARNING! WARNING!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not have the officer sing the National Anthem so the thug will take a knee. Problem solved!

As a side note we were never instructed to shoot to kill, rather to shoot to stop the threat.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
What next? laws or policies that require we shoot them in the leg first? Oh brother.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Warning shots are going to be tougher with their next recommendation....carrying only one round of ammunition in your left breast pocket....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the IACP, when they aren't giving each other awards, has NEVER stood up for, or trusted, street cops. They have also never been strong advocates for the 2nd Amendment.
An irony of police world, at least in big cities, is the higher your rank, the smaller your belt gun. Hence, the "Chiefs' Special".

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe just shoot 'em in the leg or arm...

I was aiming for the arm (or leg) but due to the suspects dynamic movement, managed to hit them center of mass. Tragic...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Everyone knows what this is about. It's not about saving the lives of citizens.

Smells like they're shoveling the same PC bullshit as the NFL.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I read the posted IACP article and saw numerous references that Police shoot to kill. In my 30-year career, I was always taught, and then once became a trainer, I taught others that Police shoot to 'stop the threat' Stopping the threat does not mean you have to kill. If we shoot and suspect goes down and surrenders but he is still alive, they imply we have to keep shooting him on the ground till he dies.

Warning shots. 2-times I have seen falling New Years Eve bullets cause property damage. One falling round went thru a fiber optic cable and the company had to replace a whole block of cable. Another, a .45 round came thru the roof of a mobile home and embedded on the kitchen counter. We all know people are killed every year from falling bullets.

The IACP is an Organization of administrators. And we all know that once you become an Administrator, you have to receive the required lobotomy for the position. Whats next??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post