SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New policy recommends police officers fire 'warning shots' in serious situations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New policy recommends police officers fire 'warning shots' in serious situations Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Clearly this is beyond stupid. I don't know who the International Association of Police Chief's is or how much power they have to influence policy but based on this alone it should be disbanded.

https://www.clickondetroit.com...n-serious-situations

TROY, Mich. - With police under fire for deadly use of force, a drastic new policy is being recommended: The return of the warning shot.

Local 4 Defender Kevin Dietz examined the controversial proposal and if it's a solution that can save lives.

Police officers are taught that if they fire their weapons, it's only for one reason: To kill bad guys. But now the International Association of Chiefs of Police is recommending police learn how to safely shoot warning shots to de-escalate serious situations.

If an officer decides to pull the trigger in a real-life situation, it's to kill dangerous criminals. They practice over and over to shoot for body mass, because they're taught only to shoot when deadly force is required.

But now there's a new way of thinking from the IACP. The organization is recommending police departments nationwide allow officers to use warning shots instead of shooting only to kill.

In his last message, IACP President Donald De Luca defined a warning shot as a "discharge of a firearm for the purpose of compelling compliance from an individual but not intended to cause physical injury."

De Luca added that a warning shot must be fired into a safe target and "must not pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officers or others."

The idea behind a warning shot is to give police options other than shooting to kill, but local police officers said warning shots are a recipe for disaster.

"Firing a warning shot into the air is probably the worst idea ever," Troy police Officer Josh Jones said.

Jones said the number of scenarios in which a warning shot can backfire is frightening.

"To ask an officer to choose a safe location to fire a warning shot is a lot to put on even a highly trained officer," Jones said.

If an officer shoots into the air, a falling bullet could hit an innocent bystander.

"There have been cases where bullets have been fired into the air and come down a distance, a great distance, later and have struck and injured people," Jones said.

Even shooting into the ground can be dangerous.

"We don't know exactly what is in the ground," Jones said. "Is there a stone? A rock? Am I shooting on pavement? On concrete? All those circumstances are going to determine if the bullet deflects."

Shooting at the ceiling could pose a threat to somebody above.

"If you fire up into the air in drywall, you don't know exactly what penetration the bullet is going to have," Jones said. "Is there something or somebody that is upstairs? If you fire into the ground inside, you don't know what is below. What's in the foundation? A basement? A crawlspace?"

What happens if a police officer shoots a warning shot and other officers think it's a criminal shooting?

"In a dangerous situation, (if) an officer chooses to fire a warning shot, likely there are going to be other officers around," Jones said. "They are going to be responding to the scene."

It could also prompt an armed criminal to shoot back if it appears police are shooting at them.

"Maybe they will give up, or they may fight back, and a subject that may not have intended to actually fire at police officers would be induced to fire on the officer," Jones said.

Each department will decide if it wants to follow the IACP recommendation to add warning shots to their policy, but the city of Troy said it will not.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Morons

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night and I can see how stupid this is.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
How will the other officers know if the perp didnt do the shooting?

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
why just make the 1st 2 rounds in their guns blanks?

(Of course, you'd have to go back to revolvers since blanks don't cycle well in semi autos.)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beyond stupid.
And the IACP is the epitome of the Peter Principal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Morons

How about have the officers carry a rock....they can throw it as a warning and if things escalate, then shoot the suspect in the leg because I'm pretty sure my idea is just as good as firing a warning shot.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the Police could be forced to simply yell: "STOP"......"Or I'll yell STOP again".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
And where exactly is that warning shot going?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
So I guess next they'll recommend that shot #2 be either to the gun in their hand, or their big toe if they're not armed.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
And where exactly is that warning shot going?

Perhaps in the direction of the IACP president?...

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why not give the miscreants a stern talking-to?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Warning shot Confused...maybe center mass if the situation deems it necessary...I'm good with that.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
And these are the people IN CHARGE of us.

Eek

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know who the International Association of Police Chief's is or how much power they have

They are as in tune with the street cop as the International Assc of Fire Chiefs is with the line fire company.
Your choice between: Clueless and Not at all.

I've heard some really stupid things this year but this has to be in the top 2.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Their next suggestion may be a consent to be shot form. This would allow for a tactical pause and allow all parties involved a "cooling down" period. Now I can get back to my warning baton strikes.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Yep Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Morons

How about have the officers carry a rock....they can throw it as a warning and if things escalate, then shoot the suspect in the leg because I'm pretty sure my idea is just as good as firing a warning shot.

NO NO NO!

Just shoot the gun/rock/knife out of the BG's hand! Eek

Typical liberal bull shit! I cannot come to grips with how that "police organization" ever came up with that stupid bull shit!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Well.....if they are forced to fire warning shots, maybe it will be like back in the day and the perps will soak up the warning shots.

BANG! BANG! HALT! POLICE! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great idea! And to be safe, the cops can carry clearing barrels with them. Just put a bale on the sand bucket, carry it as you chase the thug, run out a couple of yards and place the barrel, then shoot into it as a warning shot.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
De Luca added that a warning shot must be fired into a safe target and "must not pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officers or others."

A safe target.

Like the person causing the need for a warning shot?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post