SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronic hearing protection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic hearing protection Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowflash:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
I invested in the MSR Sordins, and don't regret it
Its MSA not MSR

Yeah thanks, no one knew what I meant. LOL!!!

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
I invested in the MSR Sordins, and don't regret it.

Low profile enough that I can shoulder a long gun properly, still able to hear range commands on an indoor rifle range surrounded by SBR's and not painful or harmful to hearing.

If you go this route get the gel ear cups, all day comfortable.

The MSA Sordins are the best I have found. Pricey though.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are the best I have found. Pricey though.

Yep. They are, but think I will order a pair. I have the PRO Ears gold, but they hurt my ears after an hour or so, and they are HUGE. The other problem with them is I cannot get a good cheek weld with my rifles or shotguns. Thanks for all the help. Sordins with the gel caps it is.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
These are the best I have found. Pricey though.

Yep. They are, but think I will order a pair. I have the PRO Ears gold, but they hurt my ears after an hour or so, and they are HUGE. The other problem with them is I cannot get a good cheek weld with my rifles or shotguns. Thanks for all the help. Sordins with the gel caps it is.

I had some Pro-Ears and didn't like them. Reasons:

1. Mine didn't have auto-shutoff. The volume knobs would get turned on in my bag and the batteries would run out. Apparently they now have auto-shutoff.

2. Made worse by #1: Mine used stupid size batteries that are hard to find (size N).

3. Separate volume controls on the earcups is frustrating.

I gave them away and bought MSA Sordins (the ones with the fabric top band and the wire behind, so they can be worn with a helmet or a hat with a brim.) Couldn't be happier.

The first electronic ear pro I had was Peltor Tactical Sports with 3rd party gel ear seals (I got them a long time ago through a group buy - I think on this forum?). I liked them better than the much more expensive Pro Ears, but not nearly as much as the Sordins.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am trying to decide between the over the head leather headband vs the behind the neck model. I primarily wear a ball cap or one of those Magellan fishing hats. I am interested in both comfort and good ear protection. I am definitely getting the Sordins.

BTW my Pro Ears have the automatic shutoff. It is a useful feature.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a group buy here on the forum a few years ago for the Sordin's - that is how I got mine.

I've never had any regrets buying them. I've never felt the need to put earplugs on underneath, even when in an indoor range with high-powered rifles nearby.

Another group buy might make sense if there is enough interest as well as a good enough price based on numbers purchased.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much of a premium above the normal price for Sordins do the ones that support comms run? At present, I have no need for comms, but in the spirit of buy once, cry once, I wonder if it might be appropriate to spend the extra.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
How much of a premium above the normal price for Sordins do the ones that support comms run? At present, I have no need for comms, but in the spirit of buy once, cry once, I wonder if it might be appropriate to spend the extra.

For $70 you can get the AVENGER COVERT LAPEL MIC AND PTT WITH CONNECTION TO RADIO AND NON-COMMS HEADSET. For more communications headsets look here. They have a number of types. This is also the place I bought my Sordins.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I went against the grain here. I stewed over the Sordins vs. Peltor ComTac III Defenders for a long time. Ended up going with the Peltors. I'm sure there's no right or wrong decision between these two, just a few pros and cons.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A couple hundred bucks and they don't even come with a case? No instructions or anything either. Roll Eyes

They are nice and they are comfortable, but I expect a little more for that kind of money.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A couple hundred bucks and they don't even come with a case? No instructions or anything either. Roll Eyes

They are nice and they are comfortable, but I expect a little more for that kind of money.

https://www.manualslib.com/man...ro-Series-75302.html

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
Has anybody tried the

Walker Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs (apx $150.00)

I'm an "old guy" with hearing issues and tinnitus. I'll let y'all know Smile

Update:

Sent 'em back.

Problem the first: They're designed to fit in the area just outside the ear canal, called the "concha bowl" (Aka: "concha cavum," "cavum conchae"), rather than the ear canal. While they do come with bits for three different ear sizes, even the largest was not large enough to fit snugly in my ear. (One CSR at Walker admitted they'd had many complaints about that.)

As a work-around, I tried in-ear foam plugs from Etymotic Research, which just happen to be "plug compatible" with the stem on the Walker's. Unfortunately, they're a bit shorter than regular foam ear plugs. Coupled with the un-compressible sound tube and the size of the body of the Walker devices, getting them in, and them staying in, was quite a challenge. So much a challenge that, when I first went to try to use them in practice I was unable to accomplish it and had to resort to plain old foam earplugs.

A couple weeks later, reluctant to give up, I decided I'd try them as-designed, despite my suspicion they wouldn't isolate at all effectively.

First I found I'd unintentionally left the right earpiece on after trying to get them to work in actual use the one time. Battery dead. (Yeah: No auto-shutoff.) Ok, my bad. But then...

The left earpiece just plain up and died Frown Turned on once. Wouldn't turn on again.

Back they went.

In the one successful experiment with the Etymotic foam plugs work-around (I actually went to a local outdoor range and walked around the firing line, and sat next to a guy shooting a Bushmaster 450 and a compensated 5.56--under a covered firing line): They did seem to work well, but, given that they're unsuitable for larger ears and the early demise of the set I had, I cannot recommend them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
My wife and I use Pro Ears Gold NRR 30 Pro Mag and they are wonderful. You can carry on a normal conversation while all loud noise is blocked. We did a lot of research before we purchased and were not disappointed with these electronic muffs.
We have used them for about 3 years.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. I like my Peltor 100 series but I’d like to upgrade.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sordins, but be sure to get the gel ear pads for comfort and effectiveness.

+1

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am extremely pleased with the MSA Sordins I purchased two months ago.

I shoot indoors 2-3 times a week, and can not believe how comfortable, and effective these are.

Well worth the money, and believe, me your hearing is well worth it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post