SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronic hearing protection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic hearing protection Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Search results didn't match my quandry...

My cheapo electric ear muffs bit the dust today during a rifle class in a severe downpour.

What's some very good electronic hearing protection?
I see in-ear styles. Are they any better than over the ear? Muffs interfere with my prone cheek wield. But I got yelled at tonight after my electronic ones died and I switched to plugs. Didn't hear the range instructions and clicked my safety off early. I can't hear shit with plugs in. I'm always worried I'll miss something, and my ass chewing tonight is proof why.

I'm not looking for $400 muffs, but I'd like a pair of whatever will work well, and hopefully won't shit the bed if they get rained on.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sport low-profile electronic ears in the hopes they wouldn't interfere with my long gun cheek weld.

Didn't work all that well. Unlike my good Peltors I can use a long gun with them, but they do interfere with my cheek weld. I think whether low-pro muffs work for you depends on how low on your skull your ears are.

For me, then, its either foam earplugs--which, as I found out the hard way, don't work all that well when somebody's lighting-off a .454 Casull or .500 S&W right next to you Frown, or custom in-ear plugs.

I fear the only real answer is the custom-made in-ear electronic ears, but that's hella spendy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a pistol class with 18 shooters on the line, I found the Peltor NRR25 was not enough. I now use Pro Ears Gold, the thick version, NRR of 30. They do have a reduced profile version for use with rifles.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I invested in the MSR Sordins, and don't regret it.

Low profile enough that I can shoulder a long gun properly, still able to hear range commands on an indoor rifle range surrounded by SBR's and not painful or harmful to hearing.

If you go this route get the gel ear cups, all day comfortable.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Send me your e-mail info.

I may have the answer to your problem. Can you afford 'if it fits, it ships?'

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can make the investment Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X are the gold standard. It's what all the SOF units use; besides their overall noise cancelling performance, their slim profile works when wearing a helmet and they can integrated with your comms.

Below that on the price scale, Peltor's a lot of people like. Some even prefer over the Sordin's as they don't like the close seal the Sordin's provide. Howard Leight for best value electronic ear pro.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X

There are several listed. Can you provide a link? Can you get a good cheek weld using a shotgun with these? Thanks

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X

There are several listed. Can you provide a link? Can you get a good cheek weld using a shotgun with these? Thanks

http://us.msasafety.com/Hearin...p/000090007600001028

There's a few variations, the 'other one' is in-place of a headband, there's a behind-the-neck instead of over-the-head style, certain helmets won't take the regular over-the-head style. There's a few other models with lights, leather strapping, color variation, padding but, that's the one.

Their slim-style makes them very favorable for a solid weld. I'm sure there are slimmer models around but, their performance likely is not close.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Send me your e-mail info.

I may have the answer to your problem. Can you afford 'if it fits, it ships?'

Email sent Sir

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the link

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sordins, but be sure to get the gel ear pads for comfort and effectiveness.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
SF costs me money again!

I have been in need of better hearing protection too. Went to Amazon and purchased a pair of MSA Sordins just a little while ago. MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X to be exact.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sordins, but be sure to get the gel ear pads for comfort and effectiveness.

Don't worry. He will!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anybody tried the

Walker Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs (apx $150.00)

I talked to some young shooters at a match this weekend who had them and they liked them

I was wondering if they could protect an old guys hearing as well as being light weight and able to get a good cheek weld

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
Has anybody tried the

I talked to some young shooters at a match this weekend who had them and they liked them

I was wondering if they could protect an old guys hearing as well as being light weight and able to get a good cheek weld

I use Peltor TEP-100 electronic plugs. I really like them. They weren't cheap, but perfect cheek weld with long guns and no sweaty ears in the summer is nice.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
Has anybody tried the

Didn't know about those. Thanks for the heads up!

quote:
Originally posted by RC:

Reviews are mostly positive, too.

quote:
Originally posted by RC:

They fit almost flush, so cheek weld should not be a problem. Which is why I ordered a pair, on sale at Midway for $140 + shipping. About $145 total.

I'm an "old guy" with hearing issues and tinnitus. I'll let y'all know Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Radians Pro-Amp. Reasonably priced.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
I invested in the MSR Sordins, and don't regret it
Its MSA not MSR

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a set of MSA Sordins. I have a couple of sets of Pro-Ears, but use them only when shooting handguns. I have had the MSA Sordins for several years and although they’re obviously not as low profile as plugs, I don’t have any problems with long guns, including ARs and precision rifles.

I cannot imagine that the in-ear electronic types would begin to give me the protection I need.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post