SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gender unicorn graphic... teacher "in trouble"... anyone heard of this graphic before?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gender unicorn graphic... teacher "in trouble"... anyone heard of this graphic before? Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Recent story on the news (linked and copied below) talked about a "gender unicorn" graphic. Apparently, it's about gender identity and was handed out to middle school students.

The teacher is in trouble... NOT for the graphic but because they didn't "clear the graphic with the administration".

The teacher used it to explain why they use "Mixed (Mx)" rather than "Mister"...

Here's a link to the graphic:
The Gender Unicorn – Trans Student Educational Resources

News Story: Science teacher receives backlash over ‘Gender Unicorn’ handout at middle school in California
POSTED 5:08 AM, AUGUST 12, 2019, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE

California– Denair Middle School administrators and families are dealing with a controversy surrounding a graphic called “The Unicorn Graphic.”

“I’ve talked to a lot of parents and a lot of grandparents and I know a lot of them have called the school and complained about it,” grandmother Tammy Stout said.

The graphic — which can be found on the website for Trans Student Educational Resources — is meant to educate people about gender identity.

It was distributed to roughly 50 students this week by a science teacher on the first day of the school year.

“It was not an assignment kids were not asked to fill it out he really was using it as a reference point,” Denair Unified School District Superintendent Terry Metzger.

Metzger said the seventh and eighth grade science teacher handed out copies of the infographic to help explain why the teacher doesn’t use the pronoun mister, instead using “Mx” pronounced mixed.

A title which doesn’t imply a gender.

Metzger said the school’s principal happened to be in the class at the time and told the teacher to stop handing out copies of The Gender Unicorn.

“Probably was not appropriate just in the way that the handout looked and it looked like it needed to be filled out and so it was just probably the wrong tool,” Metzger said.

“It is a touchy subject and of course it’s going to be when it comes to youth,” Katalina Zombrano explained.

Zombrano, the gender spectrum coordinator for the Central Valley Pride Center, said she uses The Gender Unicorn graphic for educational purposes for her job.

Adding that while she said the point is not to pry at someones sexuality, she does feel that a break down in communication is the real culprit in the case at Denair Middle School.

“There is going to be a lot of people who just don’t get it we understand that we respect that,” Zombrano said. “But, maybe a little more planning next time a little bit more finesse.”

As for the repercussions for this teacher for not clearing this graphic with administrators first, the school said any disciplinary action taken against the teacher will be kept private.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen handed out in a school, and that is trumping a LOT.

What the hell are they teaching kids these days?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
anyone heard of this graphic before?

No and I wish I never see it again. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Definitely important shit here… Just had to hand it out on the first day.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
WTF?

What’s wrong with saying “hey guys” when addressing people, male or female?
I have called females “dude” on many occasions.
Won’t say “mister”. Chooses Mx or Mixed?

If you seriously are offended by gender pronouns or whatever the eff they are calling it nowadays, it’s.... I don’t even know.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zombrano, the gender spectrum coordinator for the Central Valley Pride Center,

There's something to put on your resume.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Zombrano, the gender spectrum coordinator for the Central Valley Pride Center,

There's something to put on your resume.
Want more $$$ to use in the classroom, can these sorts of worthless positions. And while you're at it, flush that ridiculous graphic down the same hole. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Local story for me.

This is an example of why my kids are home schooled. There are many reasons.

They will be homeschooled until we evacuate in 7 years, 8 months, 9 days.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not dumb, it is propaganda.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
I can’t unsee it now. Eek

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I cannot decipher what the hell that graphic is trying to impart.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Shaka, when the walls fell...

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We are a very F'd up society.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
“The teacher used it to explain why they use "Mixed (Mx)" rather than "Mister"..”

Yeah, that graphic clears it right up.
The unicorn is mixed up.

So the unicorn is a male who dresses and acts like a female and yet likes to have sex with females, additionally liking to have sex with others a bit more than having sex with males, yet is emotionally attracted to no one.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I would think that any creature with his penis in the center of his forehead has got to be in the "other" category. A lot of fun in the sack, not to mention the stable!

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I saw "in California" in the subhead and stopped reading.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Indeed, I have seen it before.

The "Genderbread Person" is far more common than the unicorn, though. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Another step toward a state of mass insanity. No wonders schools have trouble recognizing crazy when they see it

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I cannot decipher what the hell that graphic is trying to impart.

Bruce

Ah, now I see what it is: it's customized to the person's sex/gender/sexuality preferences by moving the slider on the arrow.
Apparently, he/she/xe wanted to hand the kids the only resume that matters: the one about their feelings.
Why a teacher would be wanting a group of children to know what they are sexually or emotionally attracted to is something that should be asked and answered.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
What a load of crap.
Kindergarten level artwork and, maybe at best, High School level Sex Education class material?

Dollar to a donut that teacher has gender issues themselves.

Only board approved curriculum should be allowed in the classroom. You can't have every teacher deciding for themselves what to expose your kid to...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post