SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Drug Expiration Dates a Myth?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Drug Expiration Dates a Myth? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When I was in pharmacy school I read a study done for the military on expiration dates, they assayed common drugs at their expiration date for the amount of active ingredient. Their results showed that at expiration most drugs were still at full strength or had not lost a significant amount of potency to have a effect on treatment. Most drugs are somewhat super potent (a bit above stated strength) so that has some effect on potency at expiration date.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
"Expiration Date" on everything that we use/take/eat is a myth.

I have one one word for that myth - "milk" Big Grin

Nope, sorry, still myth. Milk expires today. I can still drink it a few days later without getting sick. Big Grin

Yeah, as long as it passes the smell test, I'll drink milk long past its "expiration" date.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue on this is totally and completely data analysis. Nothing to do with milk. For the mfg. to change an expiration date they have to conduct studies that map its effectiveness. The same as they do initially. The incentive for that is '0'. There have been a number of studies on this (you can search) and mostly what they find is a gradual decline , versus a binary good to no good. And in a number of recent situations the FDA has extended the life of drugs in short supply (example epi pens) when data was made avialable. So if I was dying I'd get the drug before it expires. but if that wasn't around I'd just use the expired one. There are a very few examples of drugs that age poorly and go from helpful to nasty over time. Generally those are described in the package insert.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per my family doctor, yes. He said that the military ignores dates. The medicines only lose a little bit of potency.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
Per my family doctor, yes. He said that the military ignores dates. The medicines only lose a little bit of potency.

Some lose potency faster than others after the expiration date. Most lose a small amount over time. But, The other big thing that effects this over time, is where/how they are stored.....cool/dry place or hot or humid environment makes a difference as well. The medicine cabinet in your bathroom that gets hot/steamy isn't exactly the ideal place to store medicine (for example).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My kidney stone doc said it's ok to keep left over pain killer pills just in case.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are obsessed with the capitalist evils of 'big Pharma':

https://www.cbs8.com/article/n...08-ad33-910968abb04f

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Pharmaceutical companies do have postive qualities. However, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies are extremely profit driven. The argument that they are merely recouping their research costs through their drug pricing is a myth. The companies answer to their shareholders.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
yes definitely. profit over anything.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Pharmaceutical companies do have postive qualities. However, there is no doubt in my mind that these companies are extremely profit driven. The argument that they are merely recouping their research costs through their drug pricing is a myth. The companies answer to their shareholders.

Every publicly traded company is profit driven. However, it is extremely expensive to get a drug to market, the FDA process is pretty extensive and less than 1 in 100 drugs that go through the process make it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Just a word of caution. Sometimes drugs do expire or significantly weaken. One of my sons is on both Singulair and Flovent to control asthma. Apparently over the last few months his asthma had been getting progressively worse, though he did not tell me. Turns out both medications were well past expiration dates.

We got him back on fresh stock and the problem went away.

I am still keeping the old stuff as backup come the zombie apocalypse. But I'm making sure what he uses in new.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I cannot address esoteric items like blood as to how long something is good, but in the matter of food my college days tell me there are three types of food.

When the food tastes good, it is safe. When there is no flavor to the food, it is safe but ready to go bad. If the food is bitter, best not to swallow.

I do have some drugs that are very old and I find no lapse in potency.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post