SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
So PG&E (gas & electric provider) is going to bitch slap Northern Californians by shutting off power to many of its customers for days. A couple of my friends already got notice. And there is no hurricane, earthquake, nothing. Just a manufactured crisis.

It is just comical, pure insanity. I can see lots of things going wrong due to this scheduled blackout. Hope members have a generator, gas, beans and of course bullets.

https://www.sfgate.com/califor...-number-14501984.php

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Shutdowns are already happening, supposed to be more after midnight. So far safe. Think I'll go check my Surefires.

Supposedly this is due to imminent high winds. Dead calm right at the moment. Never heard of an outage like this before.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
AIUI, it's a proactive measure to prevent more forest fires due to potential transmission line issues?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironically, numerous fire departments, tanker bases, and emergency response facilities will also be affected.

Even more ironically, due to the very slow fire season, many of the air tankers available in the federal system have already been released and sent home for the year.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
One hopes that this results in a class action suit and some sort of criminal charges brought against their executives.

If they were the recipients of a shooting, even random, not one tear.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maybe people should have been more thoughtful about suing PG&E about fires.

As I recall, part of the law suits complained, and loudly, about how PG&E DIDN'T shut off power under these forecasted conditions.

Reaping what you sew. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
No, darn just bailed out of town for a week.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the state didn't just order them to keep the power on.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha. I’m in the possible power loss zone...whatever. I have plenty of batteries and candles if it happens. PGE is in a no win situation and damned if they do and damned if they don’t. They will be sued for any wild fire if they caused it or not.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
And of course their website sucks - can't get any information from their website on specifics for potential outages. Their website is unresponsive, just like their brain dead execs. What a colossal fuck up.

I lived here for more than 30 years. And with all modern technology and infrastructure and machinery, and we still live in the dark ages. How is it that quality of service is getting more expensive while decreasing in level?

Somebody needs to be fucking fired. This is retaliatory.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
And of course their website sucks - can't get any information from their website on specifics for potential outages. Their website is unresponsive, just like their brain dead execs. What a colossal fuck up.

Try this site, what county are you in?

Got the alert, power shut-down at midnight...we'll see how long this one lasts. The news of course is getting people all spun-up, talking about having supplies for at least 5-days. Roll Eyes

Meanwhile, one of the many elected dumbasses, is proposing legal action against PG&E for these blackouts. Of course they're claiming it'll create 'problems'
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/9/6...ut-pge-wildfire-bill

I understand SCE is doing the same while SDG&E is being more surgical about their shut-downs.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
First round of outages supposed to start in 5 minutes; a second round Wednesday @noon. They are considering a third phase.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s total bullshit and a complete fucking circus. PGE website crashed earlier today. Conflicting messages from PGE and various public agencies about when and where the power is going out. Mine will go out between 12 hours before I posted this and 12 hours after, probably, maybe, for an undetermined amount of time. Seriously, just tonight I heard midnight or 5am or 8am or noon or later. What the actual fuck? How are those responsible for the old and infirm or otherwise at risk supposed to plan when there’s no straight door on what’s going on?

Trees hitting power lines have always been a danger. PGE neglected their duty for decades. Last year it caught up with them so now their customers not only get stuck with the bill but a million of us are losing power for a day or two or six while PGE waits for the wind and temperature to go down and checks the branches along their lines that they should have been taking care of for decades. I hate commies but at least they would have put some heads on some sticks.

Public Graft and Extortion indeed.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
California in the 21st Century.... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As I recall, one of the power companies got taken to the cleaners(lawsuits) over one of the big fires possibly started by power lines.

For better or worse, I think they are just trying it the other way, shutting down preemptively. I don’t think that will work well either, no power is no fun for 99% of the people.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Just a manufactured crisis.

True - manufactured by the trial lawyers and bureaucrats (Public Utilities Commission, we're looking at you) and legislators of the benighted state.

They can't charge enough for power to cover replacing the wires....the wires are old and prone to starting fires....the lawsuits from the last fire drove them into bankruptcy....

So, given the constraints, what else can they do but shut off the old sections that go through fire-prone areas?

One of the thousand reasons I'm glad I left that state.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If they were the recipients of a shooting, even random, not one tear.

That seems a bit over the top. The people who would die aren’t the ones making this decision, so no, I wouldn’t welcome violence on anyone.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Being without power for a few days; having my house burn down …
being without power for a few days; having my house burn down …
being without power for a few days; having my house burn down ….

Such a difficult decision. How will I decide?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
49 other states seem to be able to supply power to their populations. Year round or so I've heard.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
49 other states seem to be able to supply power to their populations. Year round or so I've heard.

Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post