SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'll be heading out of town for the weekend due to the power outages that are scheduled to start around 5pm this afternoon. My mother is taking in friends from Windsor, which is being evacuated.

I hope anyone affected by the outages and fire are safe and secure.

Just got news that both Healdsburg and Winsor is being evacuated, hopefully this is more precautionary as high winds are expected to kick-up tonight. Watching news as CalFire has heavy tankers (747 and DC-10) laying down heavy PhosChek retardant lines.

Healdsburg is one of my favorite communities, classic small town with central square surrounded by shops and restaurants. Dry Creek General Store is my favorite.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just arrived at my friends house in Rocklin. 101 South from Windsor to Petaluma was jammed. I took 12 East and hit traffic just past Sonoma all the way to Fairfield. Then the usual shitshow up the 80 to West Sacramento.

Along the way, I saw groups of fire engines and trucks heading toward the fire. The last group I saw was in Vacaville.

What’s strange is that there isn’t a lot of smoke. In 2017, the air was thick like fog with smoke. Today, it was slightly hazy but still plenty of blue skies.

I got info that if the fire continues, Forestville will be the next to be evacuated. After that, if needed, the area where I live will be evacuated.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orguss, Rocklin is powered by......PG&E

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Got a call from my sister this morning (Hi, Sis! You should stop lurking and start posting.).
She’s in Sebastopol, SW of Windsor, with just grassland between the two.
I’ve ordered a phone external battery, an emergency phone and batteries for it, but the radio won’t get there until Monday.
We talked about her having a go-bag, water supply, and a full tank of gas. She has friends to the south she can go to if STFU.
Winds with gusts to 85 mph are predicted.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got info that if the fire continues, Forestville will be the next to be evacuated. After that, if needed, the area where I live will be evacuated.

Forestville, Occidental, Sebastopol, Guerneville, Monte Rio and all the communities westward to the coast, are under Evacuation Warnings..basically get your shit ready, and stand-by, it's headed your direction.

Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital is evacuating, moving everyone down to Novato. 2-evacuations in 3-years, same hospital that had to evacuate during the '17 fires with flames right on it's doorsteps.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Funny thing...my friend has solar and sells back to PG&E.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Map now on pressdemocrat.com shows mandatory evacuation orders for Forestville, Occidental, even Bodega Bay. Sebastopol still on evac warning.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sebastopol seems to be in the mandatory evacuation area, now.

https://sonomacounty.maps.arcg...494dbf9d9e22aa794617

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Funny thing...my friend has solar and sells back to PG&E.

Yeah, when the grid is powered. Can they operate their solar if PG&E is shutoff? If so, they've gone the extra mile.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carquinez bridge is closed due to high-winds, which means traffic on I-80 is disrupted.

Fire near Crockett forcing partial evacuations, same fire due to wind blown embers caught vegetation and damaged some area of the CA Maritime Academy on the Vallejo side.

2 out of 5 Sonoma country residents have had to evacuate.

Now Calistoga is under evacuation warnings.

Photos for those interested

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hey Stan - does your sis need any assistance?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Carquinez Bridge is not looking good...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg, my sister evac’d to a high school buddy’s house in Oakmont. They have a generator, a deck with a great view of Sonoma Valley, and an RV if things get worse. Another of her high school buddies is also there, it’s like a sleepover. Friend’s hubby made French toast for them all this morning.
Thanks so much for asking, my friend! Landed on her feet, she has!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ok, if things change you just let me know...

send me a text - will be faster this week

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sis says to thank you, Greg! She does lurk here for kicks, likes to hang out with real men! Cool

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Is that fire in the river?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Is that fire in the river?

flashguy

It's in the brushy foreground leading up to the bridge. Just low brush, no trees. No-one thought the fire could propagate there.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^The area in the lower left of the image kkina posted, is the California Maritime Academy. The ship tied up is their training ship, Golden Bear.

The area around the toll plaza, they've had fires there before, most recent I believe 3-4 months ago, some car had a problem ended up lighting some of the vegetation around it. Lots of eucalyptus trees there, not sure who's property it is or, responsible for but, I hate those trees for this very reason.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The air inside the hall of my condo building now smells strongly of smoke. I'm surprised a smoke alarm hasn't gone off yet. Outside is all hazy. I'm in San Mateo, 60 miles from the Kincade fire.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I’m in Livermore no smoky air like 2 years ago this am when I left. However almost to my office in SF on BART and every stop we make along the 880 corridor the smoke is thick in the air. We didn’t lose power but some friends in Dublin Pleasanton and San Ramon and Castro Valley did. No fires near there.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post