To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7450048164

October 09, 2019, 02:41 PM
slosig
To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I thought all those Cali Homes were supposed to be off the grid and solar powered so it shouldn't matter..... Big Grin

Ours is, and it doesn’t as far as the house. The front gate, the barn, and the wells are powerered by PG&E. There is enough water in the tank to irrigate the orchard for a week or so, or to keep the house in water for a year or so, but it would get annoying after a while.

The problem is less about the wire and more about not keeping proper vegetative clearance. I suspect this is largely due to tree huggers and outfits like the Sierra Club. There may be some laziness/cheapness/poor prioritization, but I’d guess it has more to do with CA being a place where people get there panties in a bunch when you cut trees.

SCE has caused fires multiple times over the years and managed to escape liability in court. It sounds like they may not this time over the Ojai, Santa Paula, Ventura, Fillmore, Santa Barbara fire almost two years ago. They have better insurance coverage than PG&E though, so they may not have to go BK.

It is a little challenging as PG&E was responsible for the Camp fire that destroyed the town of Paradise and killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 people. It doesn’t make sense to destroy the company though as that would leave millions of people out of power. Perhaps in China they might execute some executives, but we don’t do that sort of thing here. Besides, if they really did try to clear appropriately around the lines and were stopped/prevented by regulators or envirowhacko lawsuits, what should they have done?

It may be that this is the new normal. If you won’t let us clear around the lines and you still want to hold us responsible for any resultant fires, we’ll de-energize any at risk lines to avoid creating fires. Unfortunately, due to the way the infrastructure is built and where the shut offs are, we may have to shutdown larger areas to de-energize the affected areas. Oh well...
October 09, 2019, 02:56 PM
ugeesta
A workmate of mine has two kids: one went to school today and one stayed home. The kid who went to school had power. The other kids school did not..... the parents didn’t get notice that’s the one school would not have power till after dinner last night. What a clusterfuck.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
October 09, 2019, 03:08 PM
ElToro
SF chronicle reports that laying underground wire costs $1.16mm per mile, in cities like San Jose that is closer to $4.6mm per mile. Overhead lines cost $448k per mile.
October 09, 2019, 03:17 PM
oddball
One of many tweets

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
October 09, 2019, 03:39 PM
HRK
It sure makes you want to have solar and a wall, then again $50 K for a modest setup is a lot of green to invest just so you can avoid a power bill, (which you still have you just pay the solar guys)

Good luck, I remember all the water shortages out there, don't shower, use towels over and over, don't flush number 1.....

October 09, 2019, 03:50 PM
kkina
Phase 2 now delayed until 11 pm (due to the high winds not yet occurring).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
October 09, 2019, 04:00 PM
Yellow Jacket
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
49 other states seem to be able to supply power to their populations. Year round or so I've heard.

The "ONE" thing that the other 49 states all have in common? None of them are California. Big Grin

Anyone that watches a TV, reads a newspaper or has a smartphone should have known months ago that this was coming.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70
October 09, 2019, 04:05 PM
kkina
Here's an alternative interactive map as the PG&E site is being overwhelmed (underwhelmed? whelmed?).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
October 09, 2019, 06:12 PM
Graniteguy
Do people in CA know what a generator is?
October 09, 2019, 06:53 PM
Russ59
California - doing our best to rival Mumbai and Calcutta.

P229
October 09, 2019, 06:55 PM
erj_pilot
^^^^^
I'll give 'em just a LITTLE latitude. They're not THIS bad...yet.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
October 09, 2019, 07:09 PM
Jimineer
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
What could possibly go wrong...?

Portable generators started fires last time they did this, so I heard.
October 09, 2019, 07:16 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:

? Which fire?

The problem with generators is most people have no idea how to use them or, prioritize. Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, WalMart, Costco.. they're all sold-out. If anything, plug-in your refrigerator. Some people have tried to jury-rig their gen to their outside circuit panel...yeah, disaster.
October 09, 2019, 10:09 PM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Try this site, what county are you in?

Got the alert, power shut-down at midnight...we'll see how long this one lasts. The news of course is getting people all spun-up, talking about having supplies for at least 5-days. Roll Eyes

Meanwhile, one of the many elected dumbasses, is proposing legal action against PG&E for these blackouts. Of course they're claiming it'll create 'problems'
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/9/6...ut-pge-wildfire-bill

I understand SCE is doing the same while SDG&E is being more surgical about their shut-downs.

THanks for the link but how do you figure if your area will be blacked out?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
October 09, 2019, 10:30 PM
PowerSurge
What a clusterfuck. I feel for you guys that can’t gtfo of Cali.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
October 09, 2019, 10:32 PM
kkina
quote:
THanks for the link but how do you figure if your area will be blacked out?

This map works pretty well, just enter your address.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
October 09, 2019, 10:35 PM
Jimineer
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:

? Which fire?

The problem with generators is most people have no idea how to use them or, prioritize. Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, WalMart, Costco.. they're all sold-out. If anything, plug-in your refrigerator. Some people have tried to jury-rig their gen to their outside circuit panel...yeah, disaster.

Recently (the last time PGE shut off power) there were 3 fires in Nevada County caused by generators according to a resident in that locale. I’m not saying they were major fires, but they all start small. I have no other info. This is from the Blancolirio YouTube channel, Juan Browne. He is a 777 first officer and Often reports on the fire potential and conditions of the forest management in wackyland, among other things.
October 09, 2019, 10:40 PM
Orguss
If you're located in a purple bubble, you're without power.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
October 10, 2019, 01:06 AM
berto
Power just went out. I guess it’s off to bed for me. No nose hose tonight. Maybe I’ll dream of a way to somehow cut branches and trees and underbrush...
October 10, 2019, 05:03 AM
2000Z-71
So how are all those liberal Californians going to charge their earth saving Teslas?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.