SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on running watches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on running watches Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
watches like the Garmin for keeping track of distance, pace, calories, etc.

Looking to spend no more than $300 if possible.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I have been researching this a bit for my wife, from what I found this is the best device for the buck. I actually just bought it for her earlier today for her upcoming Hamburg Marathon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...Y340_QL65&th=1&psc=1

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything you ever wanted to know and more about GPS watches and other fitness devices:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

There are a ton of option, but for a basic GPS running watch you can get something very good for under $150.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Garmin 235. There is no other running watch I'd want even if price were no object. Amazing wrist sensed HR is astounding. Excellent screen size, customizability and the GPS hooks fast every time. No waiting for satellites while your pals set off running. Battery life is fantastic, it isn't assininely huge like some. And the strap is buttery comfortable.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Garmin 235. There is no other running watch I'd want even if price were no object. Amazing wrist sensed HR is astounding. Excellent screen size, customizability and the GPS hooks fast every time. No waiting for satellites while your pals set off running. Battery life is fantastic, it isn't assininely huge like some. And the strap is buttery comfortable.

My research concurred, however my wife did not want the HR monitor.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 230 doesn't have HRM. I have a Forerunner 15 that has worked great. I think I paid $75 on sale, I already had a HRM strap. I'm looking hard at the new Fenix 5 though...

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really like the Garmin Vivoactive. We had the Forerunner 305 with Heart Rate chest band, worked well but larger and bulkier. The Vivo is much more comfortable but probably more fragile.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel96:
The 230 doesn't have HRM. I have a Forerunner 15 that has worked great. I think I paid $75 on sale, I already had a HRM strap. I'm looking hard at the new Fenix 5 though...

I have the 230 as I have always run with a heart monitor strap so I am used to it. Love the watch.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin. It works fine. It has some wonky features, weird charging cable, slow to find satellites.

I am in the market myself. My advice: Apple Watch 2. Cost slightly more than your budget but worth it.

Unlike the Apple Watch 1 and many fitbit styles, it has its own GPS ability. It also links nicely with your iphone if you have one. It is also water proof/resistant for swimming if that is your thing.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR and its a great fit for me. It doesn't have all the detailed running metics like the dedicated watches do but it does a little of everything really well.

It has a bike mode which my old Garmin lacked and its completely customizable through Garmin connect. It does all the wearable fitbit stuff that my previous watch lacked. I love the vibrating alarm clock and timer. I've been wearing it for about 6 months now and I'm very happy with it so far.

My only gripe is the Vivoactive HR is not the most attractive watch I've worn. If the Apple Watch had a longer battery life I'd probably go with that. For $250 and the list of features it's a great watch

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post