SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting few days..... surprise hospital trip.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting few days..... surprise hospital trip. Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
Long story short, Tuesday I went to a local prompt care for ear & jaw ache.... They performed an EKG and instructed me to go to one of the local hospital ER's.

Yep, as it turns out, sometime in the last two weeks I had a heart attack. Had a heart catheterization for a 95% blocked LAD left anterior descending artery. No chest pain/numbness warnings! Did have some shortness of breath, but that was when doing errands, etc., so I didn't think to much about it. Scary stuff!

All went well and I should be going home today. I got one stent. So my advise is to not ignore small warnings! The outcome could have ben far worse.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Scary situation.
Good to hear you are OK.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great urgent care to have figured that out.

I'm glad they fixed you right up. Heal well.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Woa! Glad you're ok.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Wow. Great urgent care to have figured that out.

I thought the same thing! It was a Nurse Practitioner that came up with it. I will probably be taking some flowers and a fruit basket to that office!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are doing okay. Thanks for the reminder for the rest of us to pay attention. I know I tend to not go to the doctors even when my wife keeps telling me to.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reminder to not take symptoms for granted. I'm glad you're OK.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, they call that one the widow maker... Yup, me too, ten years ago. Still kickin' to this day... Take care of your self.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK. I've never heard of ear and jaw pain as a symptom of heart trouble. Good to know.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad you are well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Indeed, get well soon, you were incredibly lucky that it was as mild as it was. Some are not as lucky.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi Beltfed,
Glad they caught it!
There is a real problem with lack of recognition of "atypical" symptoms. Actually jaw pain is pretty common (ear not so much), and another red flag is shortness of breath with exertion (significant change from the usual).
My wife wants me to write a book about such things....
Anyway, yes, the 95% narrowing of the LAD is what is called "the Widowmaker", and you were treated very well. What you don't describe is whether you had any significant heart damage from the "heart attack" you supposedly had prior to your stent.
Did you get a number called an "ejection fraction" from your cardiologist? That's the percent of blood in the heart pumped out with each beat. Normal is 55% or higher.

If you have any questions I can help with feel free to e-mail me.

Dr. Goodheart
Your friendly Sigforum cardiologist (Ret.)

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post