SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Missing Your Mother Ever Get Easier
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Missing Your Mother Ever Get Easier Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My dad went in 2011, my mother in 2019. It hasn't got any easier for me.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother died many years ago, and I still want to call her and talk with her. She was my best girlfriend!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I lost both my parents over 10 years ago. So far, it hasn't gotten any easier.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. The pain is not as much.

I lost my mom almost 11 years ago. Some days it feels like it just happened, Some days it seems like it happened a 100 years ago.

She was 75. She was fairly active, still worked, as and activities director at a nursing home.

She had some health issues, but she passed away suddenly.

I find myself missing her in some mundane things, like after a bad day at work. She always had away of making it better.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My comfort is that I still have voicemails that my mother left me.

Unfortunately, my dad was not a mobile phone user so I do not have any from him.

Sometimes, I just play one or two of hers.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Unfortunately, my dad was not a mobile phone user so I do not have any from him.

Last year I played a VM of her wishing me a Happy Birthday. This year I couldn’t.

I appreciate everybody’s insight. It means a lot to hear how everyone deals with their loss. I never imagined that my heart would physically ache the way it does when I think of her.

Hopefully, everyone’s posts helps others as it has helped me. I can try the reason/logic but it never seems to align with the feelings/emotions.

Thank you!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As wiser people than me have said, the blinding pain will lessen oh, so slowly. A few times a day though, I remember some little thing or another that makes me feel kinda close. I am thankful for that, and try to feel grateful.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
I lost my mother in 2014 and my stepfather in 2017 (a good man married to my mother for 33 years who always treated me as if I was his own flesh and blood). For me, I often wish I could talk with them about events in my life. or ask their opinion on decisions I have to make. That feeling has not lessened.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I often wish I could talk with them about events in my life. or ask their opinion on decisions I have to make

I would call my dad and often ask his advice on decisions regarding money as he was a banker. Now I have no one to ask and it was a shock to realize 'you're on your own now!'. So now, I try and think what he would have done, and incorporate it into my decision making.

My mother was the family historian, she kept a diary every day of her life. I could call her and ask her anything regarding family events and she would have the answer. It was great.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
She passed last July. In a word no. I think I'll be in a much better place with it when her estate is closed and settled. I am the only sibling still in the same town so it all fell to me. The lawyer said the most difficult thing will be clearing out the house. Ya, he was full of shit in this regard.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lawyer said the most difficult thing will be clearing out the house. Ya, he was full of shit in this regard.

When my mother died, my brother and I cleared the house out, ready to go on the market.

After we'd done, I went back and just sat in there, on the staircase for an hour. Man, those walls and rooms were full of memories. When I left, and locked the door, it was like closing a book on a part of my life. I had to wait a few minutes before I could see to drive away.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My mother is still alive however I lost my father last year.

Every so often when I was working on a project or repairing something I think to my self "my father could help me out on the best way to do this" and he did.
He would come over and lend a hand. He helped me renovate, or I should say I helped him renovate our first home. He knew how to build things.
He did this for years. He would help anyone,family,friends,neighbors and sometime even total strangers.

He should have been an engineer, he was that smart and could build something we needed to do a project out of spare parts he had laying around in his garage.

When we moved 1000 miles away I could always call him for advice.

I truly do miss him and over time it might get easier but right now it is still tough.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Still got my mom but lost my little sister 7 years ago. It never gets easy.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
The empty space in your heart will always exist. The daily pain has seemed to lessen a small bit.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:
Still got my mom but lost my little sister 7 years ago. It never gets easy.
I lost my baby sister 2 years before losing our mom. Sister was 45 and mom 88. I was present for both deaths. It was hard. I don't think one ever gets over it, but it becomes less pressing.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there for both Mom and Dad passing. Glad I was so I could give them a hug. I still relive their waning moments. I have a tendency to remember the values they taught me and feel very grateful for the wisdom they imparted to me. I do find it easier to accept the circle of life now but I still wish both were here.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My parents both passed on in 1991 'bout eight days apart. I was 37 at the time, and remember feeling that this must be similar to how an orphan felt. Time eases the pain after awhile.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

My parents where not into the digital world, but I have two hand written notes from my Mom, that although are meaningless in their content, I cherish because it's in her hand. It always makes me pause when looking through my saved papers I see these notes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mother was the family historian, she kept a diary every day of her life. I could call her and ask her anything regarding family events and she would have the answer. It was great.

My mother was my connection to so much family history as well particularly regarding my grandparents and great grandparents. While my stepfather was alive, some of that history and the connection to memories was comforting. Once he passed, it was a harsh reality that I had lost the last bridge back to my mom.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eventually it does. I lost my father when he was 56, I was 27. It didn't help that he passed away on 4th of July. For at least a decade various dates, were just like the first year......it took about a decade and then started getting easier.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post