SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospitalized by dehydration
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospitalized by dehydration Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Stay non-thirsty, my friend. Smile
(Dos Equis rejected this slogan.)

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
A couple of things to consider:
1. Monitoring urine color will aid in determining your hydration levels

2. Hydration should start in advance of exposure to heat

3. Prescription and over the counter medications can impact hydration

4. Hunger can also be an indicator of thirst

5. The impacts of dehydration, heat exhaustion, or heat stroke can be cumulative if working outdoors or i high temps

6. It takes longer to recover with each exposure

7. Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink

8. Take frequent breaks in the shade

Stay safe.

Another alternative for electrolytes is a product called "squencher." Be careful with electrolyte use as more isn't better. Also be mindful of the sugar replacements used in sugar free products.

You know you best and should know when to drink fluids as well as when to rest.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I've been drinking a gallon of water or more daily for nearly 20 years now. It's been a healthy addiction for a long time. I tell my wife it's how I know I'm not a alcoholic. If I leave the house without a bottle of water I panic. I've turned around after being 2 miles from home to retrieve it. I've gone several weeks without a beer or a drink but can't be without my water bottle within reach. I can't stand the Aquafina's or other bottled waters either. We have a 5 gallon office cooler in our house and one up at the lake place.

I'm 64 and look much younger and I believe it's due to my water intake and my doctor agrees. So there are so many health benefits to drinking a good amount of water on a daily basis it's almost silly not to. My joints are in excellent condition although I do have a few joint related aches or pains now and again but they never last more than a couple hours.

Like others here who drink copious amounts of water I know where every bathroom in the city is!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
These are sample bottle colors, not "in the toliet bowl" colors.

quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
A couple of things to consider:
1. Monitoring urine color will aid in determining your hydration levels

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok.

^^^^The chart above and the comments by ffips are good advice. We see a lot of dehydration & related issues year round. watching your urine is a very good practice. Thirst is not a good indicator, its usually too late if you are in serious trouble.

Replacing water, although it is a large part of rehydration, is not a simple answer. That's why IV's or infusions are given - they contain missing components that along with water will help. Gatorade, Powerade, and many other energy drinks are more gimmicks than quick fixes. And repeat dehydration is dangerous (aside from being a symptom of other potential issues).

Eating and drinking frequently small amounts is the best way to stay hydrated and healthy - and out of an ER. You can go a long time w/o food - 2-3-4 days w/o water, your going to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Let me add even if you hydrate as much as myself and others here do you can still dehydrate quickly if you are doing strenuous activity and sweating a lot. I was doing some manual dirt work last week at our property and was sweating pretty good. After a couple hours of that my pee color told me to drink now!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't miss the evening news in Phoenix,

5 times a year they watched Iowan's being carried off the mountains because they did not feel like carrying water on their day hike's .

two and a half hours in too their 4 hour hike , someone is calling 9-1-1

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54607 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
These are sample bottle colors, not "in the toliet bowl" colors.

quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
See previous

If you provide a source for "toilet bowl colors," I would be happy to edit my prior post. Of course then we might have to consider the amount of water in the toilet bowl, what the color of the toilet is, and any number of other variables. I can see mine prior to hitting the bowl water, but I suppose you have a point.

Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I just ordered this for $8.34 from Amazon:

Propel Powder Packets Four-Flavor Variety Pack With Electrolytes, Vitamins and No Sugar (50 count)

www.amazon.com/dp/B0789FRV55/r..._api_i_yVJlDbRR1344Q

“Simply pour one powder packet into 16.9 ounces of water and shake.”

“Containing Gatorade electrolytes and no sugar…”

I received this stuff yesterday. It comes in a sturdy Amazon handling resistant box. Five smaller boxes are neatly packed within. Each of the small boxes has ten sealed tubes of one particular flavor. Dissolves easily in water. I’ve tried only the “Raspberry Lemonade” flavor so far – it’s very tasty IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I like Zipfizz...maybe just a tad more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014...t_dp_U_lTFmDb7ZEEMB6

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using this stuff now for a couple months. They have it at Kroger so other grocers prob stock it too, but it's cheaper on amazon.

Xtend hydrasport

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's really shame. No matter one's age, dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, etc. can all sneak up on you if you're not taking in fluids.

Ex-New York Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heat stroke at age 32
Fox News

Former New York Giants offensive lineman and Super Bowl winner Mitch Petrus has died in Arkansas of an apparent heat stroke at just 32 years of age.

Pulaski County Coroner Gerone Hobbs said Petrus died Thursday night at a North Little Rock hospital. Arkansas is in the midst of a heat wave, like most of the rest of the U.S.

Petrus had worked outside all day at his family shop and his cause of death is listed as heat stroke, the coroner said.

This 2012 file photo shows Mitch Petrus of the New York Giants NFL football team. Officials say Petrus, a former Arkansas offensive lineman who later won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants, has died in Arkansas of apparent heat stroke.

Petrus was a University of Arkansas walk-on who played alongside Razorback greats Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and later earned all-Southeastern Conference honors.

He was drafted by the Giants in the fifth round in 2010 and had a three-year NFL career, winning a Super Bowl with New York in his second season after playing in 17 regular-season games and all four postseason games.

He briefly played for the New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans the following year.

After retiring from the NFL in 2013, Petrus returned to Arkansas, where he was well-known and often appeared as a studio analyst and sidelines reporter during televised high school football games.

He also had an interest in politics, serving as Republican state Sen. Dismang's chief of staff during the Legislature's 2018 session, when Dismang was the chamber's president.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports...rus-dies-heat-stroke

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If you have been sweating, remember that water isn't enough. You need to replace the electrolytes you've lost.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Drink 16-24 oz of water first thing in the morning to combat dehydration started during the night.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been relocated to Arizona for the last few years. After long deployments in the desert I detest drinking water, but had to adapt. I now drink a lot of it far more than I used to and far less caffeine too. I do have to add flavor to it. I got behind the curve a couple times since moving here - it sucks- headache nausea dizzy. I had a bad bout when I was in Iraq- 4 bags of fluid and a bunch of Iv medicine for headache and nausea. That time I continued my duty and did my daily work carrying my Iv

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Take notice of your urine activity. If you're not peeing as much or as often as usual and/or your urine is dark yellow you're heading towards dehydration. Simple water will fix most of this but drinking water will take a bit of time to flush through.

Yeah and the electrolytes need to be balanced. Something like Gateraide will help but first water.

This is exactly what happened to me. I am a big water drinker now and things are sooo much better.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post