SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospitalized by dehydration
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospitalized by dehydration Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My 96 year old father has had a couple bouts of pneumonia among other problems recently where he was hospitalized. He has fallen once but gets confused too. The docs say a lot of his problems are due to dehydration. Up until the end of March he was still driving too

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I passed out years back from low fluids in very hot weather. Heck, in the Vets office as they were working on our family dog. I woke to a cool damp towel wiping my face and got a ride to the hospital. I've been a good dog sinse.. Big Grin. Keep your liquids in you now and enjoy them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Take notice of your urine activity. If you're not peeing as much or as often as usual and/or your urine is dark yellow you're heading towards dehydration. Simple water will fix most of this but drinking water will take a bit of time to flush through.

Yeah and the electrolytes need to be balanced. Something like Gateraide will help but first water.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, glad you're OK.
I've lately been having more light-headedness when I get up; my BP is a little lower than previously.
However, usually SD is a lot easier to take than the Maryland/DC area where we're visiting my son. Went downtown for an event, decided it wasn't worth seeing anything else. Took an hour and a half to cool off after walking a mile.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have a buddy that rides bicycles, longer distances, he's close to if not over 70.

One day about a year ago or so he was driving his truck back from riding 20 miles on his bike in the summer, temps in the mid 90's. He passed out, crossed the center, jumped a curve, through a ditch and hit the side of a building, lucky for him minor scratches and a totaled truck.

He doesn't remember a thing, he passed out, woke up in a wreck and off to the hospital.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Glad the OP is okay. Dehydration isn’t anything to take lightly.
In the heat, water alone isn’t enough. Add a pinch of salt to your water - if you can taste it, you used too much.

If you get a headache, nauseated, lightheaded or muscle cramps and have been doing anything in the heat you need to rehydrate NOW because you’re already late and behind the curve.
If you have never tasted normal saline IV fluid, (likely what the OP got in the ED), it tastes really salty.

As stated above, pee clear. Light yellow is not “clear”.
When stuck on fire calls in the dead of summer (or playing golf when it’s 110*) I could drink a metric crap ton of fluids and still not pee for 4 hours...and then it looked like tea/coffee. Younger and dumber we were back then.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I've never had a dehydration problem, but did got knocked down once by heat stroke. I was working up in the attic in the summer. Must have been 130 up there.

Glad you recovered.

I had a bout of heat stroke on a motorcycle trip in 100+ degree temps. That night I had killer muscle cramps and nausea and major headache. I never made that mistake again.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just ordered this for $8.34 from Amazon:

Propel Powder Packets Four-Flavor Variety Pack With Electrolytes, Vitamins and No Sugar (50 count)

www.amazon.com/dp/B0789FRV55/r..._api_i_yVJlDbRR1344Q

“Simply pour one powder packet into 16.9 ounces of water and shake.”

“Containing Gatorade electrolytes and no sugar…”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
There is some really good safety tips here for all of us. I'm glad you are now doing fine.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
My mom turned 89 last July and that was the beginning of her dementia though we weren't aware of it at the time.

She found herself in the ER 4 times with us involved in the panic to insure her health.

Came to find out she was dehydrated each time and it happened same time of day each time. I added up the facts and insisted on her change of lifestyle to include drinking water.

What a fight! OMG! She rejected it, acted like a 2 year old, smallest sip of water and blow up her mouth like a puffer fish and wouldn't swallow it.

We have caregivers with her now after we've nursed her back to health by ourselves. She's healthy as a horse, but sadly her mind is going.

Hydration is no joke.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if I drank as much water that is recommended I might as well stay in the bathroom all day, I tried that once and I swear every fifteen minutes I had to go.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I spent 4 years training recruits for the Navy and we had to enforce Hydration. Chuck carried a canteen on a web belt as part of the uniform of the day and i would have them drink 8-10 canteens of water a day.

And I still loaded half a doxen of them into an ambulance every week, especially early on.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I drink lots of water every day winter too.
I could replace a roman fountain!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8355 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are ok.

The training facility I attend always tells us (especially in the warmer months), your urine should look like lemonade not apple cider.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
How long does it take to rehydrate if you haven't been drinking enough water?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
<---
I wish you could have gotten a more flattering picture of me.
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

I like to compromise and mix my sports drinks 50/50 w/ water when I need to drink a lot.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caught up to me today in this heat and humidity, hard to recognize when your busy. Then it hits you, like a hammer, it's to late. Watch your self's guys!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Pis boy is in Brussels, not Rome.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Brawndo - it has electrolytes.

It's what you need.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
An EMT buddy and I want to come up with a business model for scheduled periodic in-home IV hydration for sedentary seniors who are the most at risk for dehydration.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post