SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospitalized by dehydration
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospitalized by dehydration Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A couple of days ago I had finished eating my lunch at a restaurant, after walking 5.5 miles as part of my exercise program. Just sitting there, I began feeling faint – then very faint. I knew that I’d pass out if I didn’t lay down, so I did that, right on the restaurant floor. That saved me from passing out, but I still felt very faint. I got lots of attention! Soon an ambulance arrived, and I was taken to nearby Thornton hospital, part of the UCSD health network (my health care provider).

Initial diagnosis was dehydration, and they began putting a quart of saline into me via IV. I soon felt fine, but they also gave my head a CT scan to see if I’d suffered a stroke (negative). I was released from the hospital after 3 or 4 hours, and walked home (1.5 miles).

Dehydration is insidious! I didn’t feel particularly thirsty, and thought that I’d been drinking plenty of water – but apparently thirst isn’t a reliable guide. Be cautious!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is why I carry a flask everywhere.

But seriously, glad it wasn't anything more dire.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I do about 120-144 ounces a day of water. Before, during, and after workouts, riding motorcycles, or mowing the yard in the heat more so. I've seen the same thing happen to people many times.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 liter of water every six hours

1.5 liters per six hours with exertion

not pop,tea or coffee , only water

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
More likely electrolyte and glucose than water.

Make sure you balance out your intake of both. A bag of chips goes a long way.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Brawndo - it has electrolytes.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear you're OK.

I know I'm always forgetful about keeping hydrated and this is a good reminder.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I soon felt fine, but they also gave my head a CT scan to see if I’d suffered a stroke (negative).

And make a few more $$ off of you and your insurance.

Glad you're okay!

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Glad your doing better.
Stay hydrated my friend..

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is why I carry a flask everywhere.

I'll have to remember that one. Razz

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
,.............., and walked home (1.5 miles).

Holy smokes! Big brass balls!

I'm glad you're feeling better and had the presence of mind to lay down before you keeled over.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Water alone isn’t enough. Especially if you’re sweating a lot. In the summer I match equal amounts of water and Gatorade since it has real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup like Powerade has.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have developed a dehydration problem in early summer for a couple of years now.
It causes my legs, knees, and shoulders to ache, it evens make walking a pain. When I realise what is going on it takes awhile to get back to normal.

Getting old is tough.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out with just a top off of fluids!

It's also a good reminder - stay hydrated!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
As others have pointed out water alone will not do it if you are exerting yourself at all.

Please use something with electrolytes to keep yourself hydrated.

Good on you for getting off your ass and walking.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I work in construction, and one thing that I see quite often are guys not drinking enough water outside. At work, I drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day as I am outside the entire time.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dehydration is insidious! I didn’t feel particularly thirsty, and thought that I’d been drinking plenty of water – but apparently thirst isn’t a reliable guide. Be cautious!

Years ago when getting my glider ratings at Estrella Sailport in Maricopa Arizona (South of Phoenix), I was taught the simple test: “Clear and copious”. They were very concerned about dehydration. As I recall, their one big accident was a guy who got dehydrated and confused and then muffed the “landing out”. Fortunately, he was okay, but the glider was not. When I looked at the instructor funny in response to “Clear and copious”, he explained that if you are not peeing relatively frequently and your urine isn’t clear, you are not drinking enough water.

As stated above, if you are going through a lot of water, you need to get some electrolytes too.

Edit: s/there/their/. Doh.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Brawndo - it has electrolytes.

...and it's what plants crave....

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's very hard on the kidney's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never had a dehydration problem, but did got knocked down once by heat stroke. I was working up in the attic in the summer. Must have been 130 up there.

Glad you recovered.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post