SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Westphalian pumpernickel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westphalian pumpernickel Login/Join 
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
US made pumpernickel is usually colored by additives, such as powdered cocoa, coffee, and dark molasses.

I only just saw this. Somebody needs to be burned at the stake for this heresy.

I also need to go over to EDEKA to buy some pumpernickel. Sigh.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local Army post commissary had Mestmacher Westphalian pumpernickel. Picked up two loaves, dated for use by April next year. Having thoughts of a slice toasted with salmon and lox. Smile

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
The local Army post commissary had Mestmacher Westphalian pumpernickel. Picked up two loaves, dated for use by April next year. Having thoughts of a slice toasted with salmon and lox. Smile

A tip. The slices in some packets are hard to separate. If you try to pull them apart, the delicate slices may break – not good if you’re making a sandwich. In such cases I can usually find at least one corner that separates with reasonable ease, then I slide a table knife in to gently separate the slice.

For sandwiches, I usually toast the slices to some degree in my Breville Smart Grill to make them more durable. I think that you could get a similar effect using a frying pan. Dry, or with butter, if you prefer.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Thanks for the tip, will try to remember that. Was just reading my last post; should have said salmon and cream cheese. And capers. The power of suggestion from Woodman's post I do believe!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post