SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Westphalian pumpernickel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westphalian pumpernickel Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ordered some, thanks for the link.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
quote:
That would make a great liverwurst sandwich.

OOhh , with a very thin slice of red onion, brown mustard, and some romaine for crunch

I don't put lettuce on mine, and add some sharp cheddar or similar cheese. Excellent with onion and mustard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That would make a great liverwurst sandwich.

I just put liverwurst on my shopping list. The onion sounds like a good idea too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
The Fred Meyer store here sells Mestemacher pumpernickel-they also sell it at their stores in Portland, OR(but there they will only sell it to Germans and/or German-Americans because of cultural appropriation fears, or some such nonsense).

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine just showed up. Gave a loaf to the mail lady who was very interested in what a heavy box of bread it was.

Toasted it, topped with liver sausage, red onion, and Inglehoffer Sweet Hot mustard. The bread is amazing, the sandwiches were out of this world! Even my wife Tammy, an avowed liver-hater, excitedly had me make her one after tasting mine. Washed them down with a local Belgian Tripel.

Thanks again for the thread, I love this place!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just received an email notification that my new order of Westphalian pumpernickel will arrive on Saturday. Since I first discovered this stuff, months ago, I've never been without it. Delicious, and unique, flavor. Low in calories. And LOTS of dietary fiber.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that this thread is still alive. It was over two years ago that I discovered this Mestemacher Westphalian pumpernickel on Amazon. Since then I’ve never been without it – just put eleven more packets on my kitchen counter.

It’s the only bread that I keep in stock. I use it for everything – I even use it as “buns” (toasted to crispiness) for my smash burgers. And for braunschweiger sandwiches, of course.

Serious about crackers

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
“Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for several months.”

German fruitcake without the fruit?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread or drift much..timely discussion as Oktoberfest officially begins on Saturday. Time to break out the mustard and braunschweiger once again.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I keep meaning to try making some, since I already grind my own rye flour / meal. I've already got the pickled red onions made.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just needs some Westphalian ham.

https://schallerweber.com/product/westphalian-ham/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just needs some Westphalian ham.

https://schallerweber.com/product/westphalian-ham/

If you have a Wegmans nearby I believe they carry Westphalian ham..yum

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
“Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for several months.”

German fruitcake without the fruit?

Hardly. Smile Here’s the package contents:
* Whole kernel rye
* Water
* Sugar beet syrup
* Salt
* Malt extract
* Yeast
No, not at all like the Collin Street Bakery fruitcake that my brother sends to me every Christmas.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
This thread has brought back a fond childhood memory for me.
My Grandmother was from Bavaria, and I would spend my pre-school summers with her in Pittsburgh in the late 50's.
Our favorite breakfast was black pumpernickel toast, buttered, with strawberry jelly. And coffee (milk with a splash of coffee).
That taste is unique and I can still imagine it if I try.
I have an ALDI's near by and will pay a visit.
As far as finding real Braunschweiger, I don't count on it. It all tastes like
"worst-liver" Wink if you ask me.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On second thought, there are Ethnic Markets in Cleveland. And an Amish Market in Boardman I could scout out.
It is possible that I may find this bread there.

Also, if it keeps this well, it would be good as emergency rations. Just keep it frozen until the power goes out. Then enjoy.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:

As far as finding real Braunschweiger, I don't count on it. It all tastes like
"worst-liver" Wink if you ask me.
The baloney is bad, but the liver is wurst.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
<snip>
As far as finding real Braunschweiger, I don't count on it.
<snip>

Thumann’s Braunsweiger is pretty darned good. Better than the Boar’s Head Lite Braunsweiger. I buy it at the deli counter of my upscale grocery.

Serious about crackers

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I bought the "case" of this from amazon based on this thread. Still have over half left in the freezer. Initially I thought it just different from American pumpernickel in that it had no sweetness. But with further sampling it presented as overly dry and bland. Tried it in the toaster and it disintegrated as it popped up. Too thin and brittle. I prefer moist and flavorful which this stuff isn't.

Sorry but it is a firm PASS for me now.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Aldi today, didn't see any pumpernickel bread but did get a loaf of their Deutsche Kuche brand of sunflower seed bread which looked great. And it's good until August 2020 according to the date stamp. Grabbed some brats, and roasted almonds too. If there is none at the Army commissary next trip, will order on-line.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Now I want toasted Westphalian pumpernickel topped with a meat mixture, like prime rib salad (tuna salad with beef instead of tuna) or ham salad, sprinkled with finely chopped raw onions.

Or cream cheese and smoked salmon. With onions and capers. Maybe a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post