SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Westphalian pumpernickel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westphalian pumpernickel Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A couple of months ago I discovered that baked-in-Germany Mestemacher Westphalian pumpernickel can be purchased on Amazon. I love this bread! It's quite different from any US-made pumpernickel that I've ever had. Rye flour only, whereas US versions usually have some wheat flour. Also, it gets its dark color solely from a long baking process (up to 24 hours), which promotes the Maillard reaction. US made pumpernickel is usually colored by additives, such as powdered cocoa, coffee, and dark molasses.

It costs about $25 for a box of 11 individually wrapped packets. Each packet is 8.8oz, containing 6 thin, dense, rectangular slices. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for several months. And free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Mestema...ckages/dp/B00176GK1O

Super tasty with peanut butter! The slices are somewhat fragile, but toasting toughens them up. If you like pumpernickel, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Buy this bread and you'll get laid.

At least that's what the package tells me.

(Package, erherherherherher.)

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Let's have some currywurst soon!

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post

If you have an ALDI close, they have these from time-to-time. Made in Germany, and the rye is 100% rye flour.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:

If you have an ALDI close, they have these from time-to-time. Made in Germany, and the rye is 100% rye flour.

Will have to check out the aldi stores around here. 3 of them, one should have some good pumpernickel.

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for several months.

Does it freeze well?

Ah just read the reviews... apparently it does freeze well.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The German stuff is FAR superior to any American variety. The reason it's also so good is that the dough is allowed to ferment for a long period before baking. I recall it being super dense and almost sourdough-like when I was stationed in Germany?

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I would be most interested to hear if Pipe Smoker has tried this Aldi variety and how he thinks it compares.

quote:

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Grew up eating it back in the 60's. My mother used to buy it at a German bakery/meat store. Slather on some real butter and a bowl of homemade soup. Fantastic.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I got to try some.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky to have a German bread bakery near me and they make a pumpernickel that appears to be similar; even darker than the above pictures, full of seeds, dense and not sweet. It's great! I call it their "industrial pumpernickel"; a small slice will hold one for hours. I like to eat it with either a ploughman's type lunch, sausage and sauerkraut, or hearty soups.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks pipesmoker.... just ordered the 8.8oz x 11 unit package on amazon! Can't get real good authentic pumpernickel around here sadly.

Again sigforum taps my wallet but in a good way! This is no doubt healthier than all that maple syrup / cream I bought. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I ate at a steak house in my travels that actually baked their own German pumpernickel. They also had homemade butter that you would slather on it. Wow!

For the life of me I can't remember where it was.

Steaks were good, the bread would kill you if you let it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I would be most interested to hear if Pipe Smoker has tried this Aldi variety and how he thinks it compares.

quote:

No, I haven't tried the ALDI variety. I was unaware of ALDI until I saw it mentioned in this thread. I've now discovered that there are some ALDI stores in San Diego, but none very close to me. Since Amazon delivers the Westphalian pumpernickel to my door with free two-day shipping, I'll probably stick with that. OTOH, it appears that ALDI has interesting stuff, so I'll visit one of their stores when some errand takes me to that part of town.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Aldi has good stuff, and very low prices, but do NOT ever count on finding what you want.

German-owned chain, so you can usually find several different types of bratwurst, jars of red cabbage, sauerkraut, etc.

Every time I go there, several items on my list are out of stock: "The warehouse did not send any of those."

Also, heads-up if you've never shopped there, bring your own bags. Or you can buy some there, but Euro-style, they do not give grocery bags away.

Tom Hanks will collect your cart in the parking lot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
No grocery store in CA provides free bags as of 1/1/2017. OTOH, they only cost 10¢.

Serious about crackers

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today. Had two slices with European butter with my ham and egg brunch. Very dense and solid as well as quite small. Slices measure 4" x 3.5" x 5/16". Unlike the pumpernickel that can be found around here on rare occasions, there are no gas bubble holes or any sweetness. Despite the small size the bread is rather filling. Traditional ingredients and taste. Would prefer a somewhat more "American" sandwich size but what's most important is the taste which this pumpernickel delivers.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That would make a great liverwurst sandwich.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would make a great liverwurst sandwich.

OOhh , with a very thin slice of red onion, brown mustard, and some romaine for crunch

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not something I'd want by any stretch but I know those who would crave Limburger and onion on this pumpernickel. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192