SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daddy and Archery - 'Twas the night before the tournament
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daddy and Archery - 'Twas the night before the tournament Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
And I've got a million things running through my head while I'm loading up our gear for the weekend. It's a local tournament, not a national or state championship so it should be nothing to stress. Far from it.

First, it was this tournament last year when my daughter set the national indoor 25 meter record for her age division. She'll be defending that again this year.

Second, it's one thing to stress over my own kid, it's another when I'm a coach and stressing over several. I've got a few archers shooting their very first tournament; we practice we train, we prepare but there's always something that comes up.

Third, my daughter's best friend on the team is one of the ones shooting her first tournament. During an informal practice session tonight she had a terrible release, gripped her hinge too hard, set it off while drawing and ended up punching herself in the mouth. Totally lost confidence in herself and her release.

Fourth, there's the coaching drama. It was during this tournament last year that the 2 lead coaches from our club announced they were leaving and staring their own program. The split was not amicable and there's still a lot of vindictiveness going on. It's a part of coaching that I really do not enjoy.

Last but not least is the fact that I'll probably see some of our archers push themselves and achieve greatness this weekend. I may have some shoot a personal best. I know that I will have some on the podium by the end of the weekend. There may even be a new national record set. But most of all, I'll get to see my archers having fun and pursuing their passion. I'm just glad to be along for part of the ride.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
most of all, I'll get to see my archers having fun and pursuing their passion. I'm just glad to be along for part of the ride.

well stated!!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post