SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 months to establish residency in Texas to get a CCW? Couple of questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 months to establish residency in Texas to get a CCW? Couple of questions. Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
Damn!
I’m moving into the state, I have a permit which is reciprocal. What is needed to establish residency? Apartment lease or utility bills?

Ok, if this is wrong, I apologize. Could I just not change my drivers license, take the courses and wait the 6 months. And in the meantime, carry on my old permit?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I don’t think so.

I didn’t have to wait six months. When I moved back here in 2013, it took longer than it should have, because I started the process with my old address in Whackyland and finished it up after we moved, and it confused things. I moved in June, had my permit in August.

Courses are shorter now, the process is easier and cheaper.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Sign up on Texaschlforum.com, you’ll find everything you want to know. Unfortunately I don’t know the answer or I’d tell you.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These people claim there is a 6 month waitng period.

http://www.texasgunlaws.org/texas-gun-law-news

Its not sigforum so I can't vouch if they are right.

If you don't have a FL permit you can get one easily enough and it good in 34 states including Texas

I am not a lawyer and you know the rest.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
No need to wait the six months. That was a holdover from before the existence of non-resident licenses. As noted Texas CHL Forum is a good resource for all thing Texas CHL/LTC with many instructors that participate. Additionally, Charles Cotton, who runs the place, has been the one to craft most all significant changes to Texas firearms law over the past 20-25 years. Very informative.

Here is a good discussion concerning this very issue.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

If you don't have a FL permit you can get one easily enough and it good in 34 states including Texas

That's not the issue. The OP already has a permit that has reciprocity with Texas. The issue that I see is that some states require its residents to have an in-state permit in order to legally carry in their state. In other words, if you are a resident of Texas and don't have a Texas ccw but do have a Utah non resident permit, Texas may say that as a resident you must obtain a Texas permit in order to carry legally in Texas.

I'm just using that as an example as I don't know if that is actually the case in Texas and can't seem to find a clear answer to that. I find the OP's dilemma interesting. It looks like he may be stuck in limbo for six months (or at least until Texas issues a permit), but perhaps there is some way to legally carry in the interim, like with an out of state permit. Hopefully someone more in the know can clear that up.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Texas DPS FAQ

Check #11

It is a little vague because it says "with the intent to establish residency". I believe you're good to go immediately once you've moved. I'm a Texas resident with an Arizona carry license and in according to reciprocity agreement it's as good as having a Texas LTC. Now that Texas has dropped their fee to $40 I'll likely switch back when my Arizona expires or just keep both.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^As to Alan’s post above, no requirement in Texas for residents to have a TX LTC in order to carry. You can carry on an out of state permit while waiting on your TX LTC to come, no gaps.

Welcome to the Lone Star State! I may have missed it, but where in Texas are you headed?

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Texas DPS FAQ

Check #11

It is a little vague because it says "with the intent to establish residency". I believe you're good to go immediately once you've moved. I'm a Texas resident with an Arizona carry license and in according to reciprocity agreement it's as good as having a Texas LTC. Now that Texas has dropped their fee to $40 I'll likely switch back when my Arizona expires or just keep both.

You should have a permit from your resident state if possible regardless. One very good reason in particular is the Federal Gun Free Zone Act. The exception to this act only applies if you have a license to carry a gun issued by the state where you are a resident. If all you have is your non-resident Arizona permit, you are likely breaking federal law if you are carrying within 1000 feet of a school, which I'm sure you do quite often without even realizing it. Point being, go get a permit from your state.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Also, no NICS check when you buy a firearms in TX with your TX LTC. Walk in, fill out paperwork, show LTC, walk out.

Complacency sucks…

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Texas DPS FAQ

Check #11

You should have a permit from your resident state if possible regardless. One very good reason in particular is the Federal Gun Free Zone Act. The exception to this act only applies if you have a license to carry a gun issued by the state where you are a resident. If all you have is your non-resident Arizona permit, you are likely breaking federal law if you are carrying within 1000 feet of a school, which I'm sure you do quite often without even realizing it. Point being, go get a permit from your state.

I'm fully aware.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Also, no NICS check when you buy a firearms in TX with your TX LTC. Walk in, fill out paperwork, show LTC, walk out.
WITH your purchase!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
WITH your purchase!

flashguy

This is the best fringe benefit of all. That and no security line at the state capital.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
^As to Alan’s post above, no requirement in Texas for residents to have a TX LTC in order to carry. You can carry on an out of state permit while waiting on your TX LTC to come, no gaps.

Welcome to the Lone Star State! I may have missed it, but where in Texas are you headed?

Looks like either Frisco or Plano.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post