SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wood splitting question.... am I a girly man?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood splitting question.... am I a girly man? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
So I keep a small stash of wood here at home for use in the fireplace or the outdoor “pit” when the nanny state says it’s ok, a few nights every year. When I say little I mean little, I bought 1/2 cord in the early spring of 2016 and I’m just now getting towards the bottom.

So a couple weeks ago I’m driving home from church and saw a cut up tree on the side of road waiting for the city to pick it up so I grabbed Andrew of the rounds.

I just tried to split one of them. It didn’t go well. Now, I’ve split a little wood before, but not a ton. Mostly fairly dry almond or ash. I think what I have is also an ash but my axe, recently sharpened, was literally bouncing off the wood with only the smallest of cuts after the mightiest of swings.

So I went full Tasmanian devil on it and for the cutest little notch opened up and shoved the ole wedge in there and whacked her right good with the full size sledge.

Nada. Wedge just fell out.

Note: I’m doing this on concrete slab too.

So, am I a girly man or is fairly green ash just too much for the traditional methods when pretty wet?

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It is highly recommended to use the right tool for the job. Personally, I prefer a hydraulic splitter, but if you insist on doing it the hard way, do yourself a favor and get a maul (basically a cross between an ax and a sledgehammer). The blade side looks a lot like an axe, but it widens up a lot more than an axe, has a lot more mass than an axe, and the side opposite the blade looks a lot like a sledgehammer. Swing it like an axe, bury it’s deeply as you can, then pick up your sledgehammer and smack that sucker right on through.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Log splitter.
Ain't got no time to put dents in wet wood.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I suspect it's the variety of wood more than anything else.

As an example, I started burning wood when I was stationed in South Carolina. I lived in a small house out in the puckerbrush and a wood stove was the only source of heat.

A neighbor had a small plot of woods cleared and the cutters just piled the majority of the cut trees up. I asked about it, mentioning using it for heat. He looked at me a little funny but said "Sure, take all you want"

So I cut a big log up into 16" sections, loaded them up on the truck and lugged them home.

I let them dry for a while, don't recall how long, but several weeks at least. Weather started getting chilly so I decided to split some, using wedges and a maul.

Set the wedge, gave it a couple of solid taps so it would stand on it's own, backed off and did my best Paul Bunyan imitation, gave that wedge a mighty whack with a 12 pound sledge.

It was like hitting a spring. That wedge BOUNCED out of the wood and went several feet in the air. I tried everything I could think of to split that stuff and the best I could do was get the wedge jammed in place and unmovable. Wound up cutting it out with the saw.

I ran into the guy later and asked what I was doing wrong. "Nothing," he said when he quit laughing long enough to draw a breath, "that's sweet gum and the man ain't been born that can split it."

The grain is so interwoven that the only way to make little chunks out of big chunks is with a saw.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
These work great if you have a sledge hammer. And they don't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond...=wood+splitter+wedge

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
It can also depend on the diameter of the wood. If it's a big piece it's usually easier to start splitting sections from the edges rather than trying to split it in two in the middle.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
These work great if you have a sledge hammer. And they don't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond...=wood+splitter+wedge

Yeah, those work pretty well. But to the original post some kinds of woods do not split for shit as a previous response indicated.

I have a 26 ton wood splitter and have had it bog down a few times.

Solution for the OP, go back to your neighbor and get a different kind of log!

The one you have might be good for wood turning but can't figure out another use.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
You need a maul to split wood, not an axe. An axe will work, but a maul is far easier. If it won’t split with a good maul, it’s not ready to be split, or it’s some unholy dense wood.

Also, don’t split on a concrete slab, unless you’ve got plywood down. You’re going to destroy your axe/maul.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I can send my 11 yr old over to split it for you. He uses a 6 lb sledge and the wedge others suggested. He split a chord and a half of wood this winter.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Hahahha I had a snide remark planned until I saw the 11 yo splitting logs. That says it all Wink

On a serious note I never mastered splitting logs. I was always the guy who cut it into sections with the bow saw, someone else split it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
you can pretty much forget splitting it if it's oak, after it sits awhile the trees here in Oregon that are oak and stronger then steel Ibeams.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfA9papNfc4

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is probably the grain of your wood. Although I have not met a round of wood I could not split with a sledge or maul and a splitting wedge. But I do not give up easily. And have had some real battles. Being green does not help.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I split between 4 and 10 cords of wood a year depending on what people are giving away. I have yet to find a log I couldn’t split with an 8lb maul or a good wedge and a 12lb sledge.
I have 2 cords to split tomorrow as my neighbor just cut down a bunch of trees and have me everything that’s not pine.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A maul and make sure you haven’t cut the logs too long.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winter. Save that one for splitting in the Winter. When it is frozen. Splits easier when frozen.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I can send my 11 yr old over to split it for you. He uses a 6 lb sledge and the wedge others suggested. He split a chord and a half of wood this winter.

Teach that boy how to play baseball and have him adjust his stance to adapt as a swing.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If the grain is twisted up from a part of the bole that had large brances/twists etc., you can't split it by hand, unless you enjoy that sort of thing. I've split a lot of wood with splitting mauls, but those twisty jobs, you gotta pitch em or avoid them in the first place. If it's not straight grain, don't waste your time and energy. There's something very satisfying about splitting wood, it's one of those things only men can enjoy, notwithstanding peeing outdoors.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
variables can come into play.

i typically use a maul.

don't cut them too long. it's a lot harder the wetter the wood. let it dry out some.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been burning firewood as my sole heating source for over 50 years now.

The hardest Oregon species I've tried to split by hand is "mountain yew". Cutting with a chain saw there are sparks thrown.

I'd like to see photo/description/ID of the wood you're wrassling.

"Axe" is not a splitting tool, by the way.
And thru long sweating moments of labor, I've learned setting the intended on a proper 'splitting stump' makes every chopping chore easier.

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post