SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Well, I certainly hope that all Californians get the kind of law enforcement that they desire. They voted for this and therefore are clearly entitled to it.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and
Maybe California should just eliminate all police agencies completely? Let the animals run wild along with the illegals and refugees? Just another SH*T show from California....

The "people" didn't vote for the absurd proposal and its certainly not being presented to them honestly by those legislators that openly endorse it. If passed, its questionable as to its constitutionality. The current rules governing the use of deadly force by police officers were formed over years of case decisions by the courts, up to and including SCOTUS. "Graham vs Connor" and "Garner vs Tennessee" protect the officers' rights as individuals, (not just the agencies that employ them) and I seriously doubt the legislators and a complicit prosecutor can replace the "reasonable" factor with 20/20 hindsight as the standard for criminal or even civil wrongdoing. Administratively, its certainly possible "offending" officers could be terminated from their positions for doing something as inherently normal as firing at a suspect that points what appears to be a functional firearm at them to defend their own lives, only to determine later that the "weapon" was merely a replica. Trying and convicting them for this act as a criminal offense or suing them in civil court? I'm sure the Federal and even state courts will have a problem with it.

Note that while this legislation is certainly aimed (no pun intended) at cops, the same "logic" used by those pushing this "standard" will probably try and "reform" law regarding private persons' use of deadly force (or any force for that matter) in defense of self or others.

Alternative legislation is also working its way through the legislature and hopefully this stupid bill will die in committee.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
...an important piece of symbolism."

So is a .357 round whistling past your head. The ones who stay will simply take longer to respond. No one ever got fired by being late to a call and I suspect that will be a winning strategy to survive and not go to prison. Just let Mr. Yegg do his thing and come clean up the pieces later, much later. Not a place I would want my children to ever be.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Aesthetically California is a beautiful state. The occupants have destroyed it in every other way.....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Another case of life imitates art

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Aesthetically California is a beautiful state. The occupants have destroyed it in every other way.....

Well, not all occupants. Just a few knuckleheads in large population centers.

If I was LEO in CA, I'd stick around as long as I could stomach it. My nephew (almost 25?) is making about $100K as a sheriff. Not a bad gig. He's looked out of state but would take a 50% pay cut.

If this becomes law and similar crap is passed by City councils and police chiefs, you'll see a lot of passive policing. Why stick your neck out only to be sued? Maybe you roll slower to that domestic call? Bad neighborhoods suddenly have few cops policing the crappy neighborhoods.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

If I was LEO in CA, I'd stick around as long as I could stomach it. My nephew (almost 25?) is making about $100K as a sheriff. Not a bad gig. He's looked out of state but would take a 50% pay cut.

If this becomes law and similar crap is passed by City councils and police chiefs, you'll see a lot of passive policing. Why stick your neck out only to be sued? Maybe you roll slower to that domestic call? Bad neighborhoods suddenly have few cops policing the crappy neighborhoods.

Funny thing: Places such as Baltimore for example now have residents who complain about the LACK of law enforcement in high crime areas. Usually what happens is after a riot or publicized police shooting the local pressure groups start raising Hell and the local,(usually liberal Democrats), begin to put restrictions on the police. After a while the local knuckleheads start getting out of control and the good citizens complain but since the pressure groups and politicians have made their point and are safe in THEIR homes chaos ensues.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I'd patrol the McDonald's parking lot for 12 hours a day. Pretty low probability of a high stress defensive encounter that could land me in prison for 25 to life.

I dunno. There are some McDonalds in Chicago that are the last place I want to be if I were looking to avoid trouble.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Curious if there is a big cost of living difference with that 50% pay cut?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that 100K sounds good. But I would guess cost of living is eating most of it. And I would also guess that he is neck deep in scumbags that he arrests one day and meets again the next day.
Which would cause his level of risk with this stupid law to escalate to an even greater level than it is now.
Take the loss and get out to a community with better people, better support and better quality of life.
And California? Secede already!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note that while this legislation is certainly aimed (no pun intended) at cops, the same "logic" used by those pushing this "standard" will probably try and "reform" law regarding private persons' use of deadly force (or any force for that matter) in defense of self or others.

My thoughts exactly.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

He's 25?
Get outta Dodge! Sure, $100K a year sounds good, but real soon, that juice ain't gonna be worth the squeeze.

What's his rent/mortgage note a month? Insurance? Taxes on gas, milk.... And have him add all of that up, and look at a place in Az, Nv, Tx, Wy, Ut. See how much the "bang for the buck" is somewhere else.

I was in Wyoming last summer, and was pretty damn tempted to sign up with Wyoming State Police. A Trooper and a Sgt gave me the numbers, and a pretty good sales pitch for the WSP! If I wasn't so close to making Sgt here at the time... Who knows...
I may have been typing this looking at mountains and wildlife instead of the savages here.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

He's 25?
Get outta Dodge! Sure, $100K a year sounds good, but real soon, that juice ain't gonna be worth the squeeze.

What's his rent/mortgage note a month? Insurance? Taxes on gas, milk.... And have him add all of that up, and look at a place in Az, Nv, Tx, Wy, Ut. See how much the "bang for the buck" is somewhere else.

I was in Wyoming last summer, and was pretty damn tempted to sign up with Wyoming State Police. A Trooper and a Sgt gave me the numbers, and a pretty good sales pitch for the WSP! If I wasn't so close to making Sgt here at the time... Who knows...
I may have been typing this looking at mountains and wildlife instead of the savages here.
The Cali cops are leaving. Yeah they take a steep pay cut buy the cost of living and tax savings make it reasonable. We have three cali cops making lateral moves here in Utah this June.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Geographically, most of Oregon is red, but the majority of the people live in the valley from Eugene to Portland making the majority of the state vote blue. I’m in a red county in the south part of the state about 60 miles from Kalifornia and I have not been across the boarder in years. Kalifornia is a pretty state with too many idiots running the state spreading their anti American politics and they are moving up here in droves bringing their politics with them. It sucks. I can’t see something like this becoming law. It’s too stupid to become law. Crap, they can’t enforce the laws they have now but if this becomes law, there will be no law.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post