SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for help !! I need to buy an Electric HEDGE TRIMMER.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for help !! I need to buy an Electric HEDGE TRIMMER. Login/Join 
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted
SigForum friends, please recommend to me a "Good" medium to heavy duty one if such a thing exists. Thanks in advance, John

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Wireless or wired? Generally wired are more powerful and cheaper than battery powered ones.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stihl makes a good heavy duty one that is electric. I believe they also have a battery powered one as well. Stihl products are top notch.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
When I get out to the shed and I'll see what I have. It's withstood almost a decade of keeping tough and woody wild honeysuckle knocked back at all sides of our property.

What I can tell you now is make sure to have a good quality extension cable rated for what you get. It might cost more than the trimmer, depending on how much you need.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how big the stuff you are cutting - I just replaced a 5 yo Black and Decker 18" Electric with the same for ~$40 bucks - the old one was good enough for the rough trimming, but my wife uses the new one to "sculpture" the holly bushes out front

The bigger B&D go to 22 or 24", but get heavier also - a consideration if yo9u are up on a ladder using it one-handed

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have a b&d and a sears.
They have not been used in years.
What is fantastic is the Ryobi with the 18 volt battery.
The Ryobi runs circles around the others I have.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a B&D HedgeHog trimmer some years ago - it cut through EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. wants wired over battery. Thanks so far for the help guy's. John!

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The pros use either Little Wonder's (gas, or electric, not cheap!) or those that attach to a weed whacker power head (gas, not electric). Either of these are going to be much more capable than the typical 18-24" electric corded homeowner machine.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 9 y.o. sears job , 6 years ago at a garage sale for $7.00.

we trim 35 feet of yews , twice a year, I get it sharpened every 3rd year , its corded.

she's a dan dan dandy

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hedgehog

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

This is what I have, with the longest bar I could get. Worked hard, a little lube on the bar too infrequently, cheap and light.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a bottom of the line B&D. Worked for over a decade. Does fine with everything that will fit between teeth.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
The Mrs. wants wired over battery. Thanks so far for the help guy's. John!

I had a wired. Note had.

I cut the cord on more that one occasion. No one to blame but myself.

I would go with battery power.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

Agree 1000%. We trim about 50 bushes each fall and this little tool always performs.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Little Wonder. Look no further. I have one 25 years old and it still runs like new and will cut 3/4 inch stuff no problem.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a cordless B&D model, it gets the job done for pruning and keeping up the hedges, its limits are the size of branches it will cut and run time

The only drawback on the B&D is that it has been prone to run out of power before finishing the job at times depending on the amount of work needed.

When I need a new one I"ll go with the EGO model at Home Depot as I've got the EGO blower and Edge Trimmer, this will give me three 56v lithium battery packs ready to go so I can swap between units.

The quality and power from the EGO units I have now far surpass the B&D and other lines at HD or Lowes.

Posts: 23400 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Finally broke into my dad's stash of 40 year old B&D stuff.....the old (yes, heavy as a Surge with a power cord!) trimmer worked well enough but was dull...hard to find someone to sharpen it....

Hunted down all the current possibilities & settled on a new B&D that weighed a mere fraction of the antique steam-powered one.

On sale last fall at Ace for about $22. Meanwhile, the old one got sharpened anyway. Compared side by side, the new light one cuts better/easier than the old heavy one.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
Wireless or wired? Generally wired are more powerful and cheaper than battery powered ones.

But also 100% more likely to allow you to accidentally cut the extension cord.

(Ask me how I know... Big Grin)

After years of dealing with a corded model, fighting with the extension cord while dragging it all over the yard (and even cutting it on one occasion), I recently went with a Black & Decker battery model. I used to dread trimming the hedges, but without the cord, it's much less of a hassle.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My next one will be the Ryobi 40 Volt.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post