SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advertising advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advertising advice Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I'm switching gears a bit in my lawn care business. Generally, I keep mowing to Monday-Thursday and keep Friday open for rain day make ups and fertilizing. The fertilizing jobs can also include aeration, soil testing, overseeding, lime application, lawn insect control and a few organic options. I'd like to eventually get enough fertilizing jobs to completely phase out the mowing.

There are hundreds of mowing crews in the area but only 5 or 6 that offer fertilization, including the big shot national companies.

I've noticed that 90% of my new customers in mowing come from Google searches but most of my fertilizing customers are word of mouth referrals. I got one customer in 10 years from handing out business cards (good customer but not a great ROI). Flyers are a complete bust. But that's the entire extent of my market research.

Has anyone run a successful local marketing campaign? Should I hire a marketing expert? I don't even know where to look. Any advice?

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I see incredible power in social media with this domain. Facebook of course, by a mile. It is the absolute winner in messaging and building loyalty and good impressions. But you've got to maintain it and keep it active, engaging and informative.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I see incredible power in social media with this domain. Facebook of course, by a mile. It is the absolute winner in messaging and building loyalty and good impressions. But you've got to maintain it and keep it active, engaging and informative.
The only thing I seem to get on Facebook is requests for job applications. But I could be a lot more active on it. I'll work on that. Thanks.

Like my page on Facebook! Big Grin

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I had a mobile detailing guy come to the house to work on one of my cars. When he arrived he put a yard sign on my lawn and left it there while he was working. While he was there, he booked two other details from people passing by who saw the sign. I thought it was brilliant.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sell the sizzle. A blog with images of rich green lawns. Images appropriately named before uploading. "Lawn care 19010" and "lawn care Anytown PA".

If I was looking for a local company, I'd put in "lawn care + zip code". And images of richly growing grass, well tended, would get my attention.

Update your blog weekly to get the google-bots and others to bring you higher in their search rankings. Search Engine Optimization ...

It'll take about six months, but a couple hours a week will bump you higher on google searches.

Lay in a load of fresh images and keep at it over the winter.

I reduce most of my images to 800x600 but like larger images for cropping, etc. You want your stuff to open fast. And when setting an image, try to remember to have it "open in a new window". You do not want to steer people away from your blog by having the image replace your blog page.

This way, when they close the image, your blog is still behind it.

I call it a blog, but it is actually your new website.

Companies will beat down your door trying to sell you their tools to increase SEO. The best tool is fresh original regularly-updated content.

Sell the sizzle. Mmmmmmmmmm, freshly cut grass, barbecue, throwing a baseball with your kid.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I had a mobile detailing guy come to the house to work on one of my cars. When he arrived he put a yard sign on my lawn and left it there while he was working. While he was there, he booked two other details from people passing by who saw the sign. I thought it was brilliant.
I did recently get a call from one of my "Keep off until dry" signs. Maybe they're a bit smaller than they should be.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Sell the sizzle. A blog with images of rich green lawns. Images appropriately named before uploading. "Lawn care 19010" and "lawn care Anytown PA".

If I was looking for a local company, I'd put in "lawn care + zip code". And images of richly growing grass, well tended, would get my attention.

Update your blog weekly to get the google-bots and others to bring you higher in their search rankings. Search Engine Optimization ...

It'll take about six months, but a couple hours a week will bump you higher on google searches.

Lay in a load of fresh images and keep at it over the winter.

I reduce most of my images to 800x600 but like larger images for cropping, etc. You want your stuff to open fast. And when setting an image, try to remember to have it "open in a new window". You do not want to steer people away from your blog by having the image replace your blog page.

This way, when they close the image, your blog is still behind it.

I call it a blog, but it is actually your new website.

Companies will beat down your door trying to sell you their tools to increase SEO. The best tool is fresh original regularly-updated content.

Sell the sizzle. Mmmmmmmmmm, freshly cut grass, barbecue, throwing a baseball with your kid.
That's another thing I've got to get going on. My site comes up first on organic search (unpaid, which seem to carry more weight than paid advertisements) or it did, now a couple of rating sites come up first but no local business is before mine. My content is stale. I'm usually out of time at the end of the day or at least unmotivated. I should have been taking pictures before this hot & dry spell hit.

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The more money you spend on advertising the more you will HAVE to make whether it is effective or not.
You're selling a quality service, not the cheapest prices, blah, blah... Reasonable pricing and a quality of service that is clearly evident will work for you.
You may only need to print something like "All referrals appreciated" or "We value any referral" on the bottom of your receipts. Also list the other services you offer. If someone mentions a need for one, your client will know what you can do and direct them to you.
Ask everyone, "How did you hear about us?"
If you pick up a new customer from a referral, a note of appreciation, a free service or a gift card to the customer who gave you a referral works wonders without any begging or discussion of payment.
A line ad so people can find you if they lose your card is fine, but we never got much of anything off of signs or yellow page ads.
A referral will already be sold on you by someone the prospect trusts. YMMV Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
word of mouth referrals

How do you increase the "word of mouth referrals"?

Offer customers a discount if they get a friend to use your service via a referral. Offer the new customer a discount to try your service.

If you can finance the referrals with labor there's no out of pocket. Sort of.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend time studying your competition and thinking about what you can offer that they do not. Providing good service and being reliable is the best bet. I have a friend in your business. He used to be a stockbroker, and was successful, but hated it. He established a landscape business and targeted the same customers he had as a broker. He had good social skills, combined with connections.
He got to have all the big boy toys he had previously wanted, and deducted them as an expense.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Social media by a mile. It's amazing how much traffic we generate from it.

Use great pictures. Use timed/delayed posts. Answer PM's immediately.

Posts: 11221 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Know your customer:

Private - it's the more affluent homeowner who doesn't want to do the work themselves.
Commercial - it's large management companies who job out to third parties. Once in a while, it's the actual owner (for office buildings, and for apartment complexes).
It's "pride of ownership" customers, or those looking to stand out to capture tenants.

I'm speaking from the end-user/owner side. Office, retail, residential apartments - all handled by related or third party management (building manager, or regional manager).These are the decision makers, your targets.
It seems clear you are providing work that is already punching above the other local providers. Signs, PR, are all great ideas.

Once you understand who you are targeting, you can use a lot of the advice others are rightly offering.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to be upselling to your mowing clients. Doesn't have to be pushy, but you are their lawn guy, you should be recommending periodic fertilizing services.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
See if any of the local newspapers have a gardening page. If so, maybe offer to write a free article or two. That'll give you a by-line and that could lead to some good, free publicity.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Social media by a mile. It's amazing how much traffic we generate from it.

Use great pictures. Use timed/delayed posts. Answer PM's immediately.

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Social media and ask current customers to review you on google. In my business I have 45 5 star reviews my next competitor has 1. We are getting 2000-5000 a month in gross revenue from this alone. That's going to net us around 20,000-30,000 a year.
I was shocked when the calls started coming in but it really works.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Granted this was a long time ago.

I was surprised at how much residential work we got from commercial customers. Employees who wanted "my lawn to look like this". As well as passers by.

Facebook friend every single person you encounter every damned one of them. Then once a week or so have a problem of the week. A weed that's blooming, snowmold, redthread, a watering tip, a "Pro Tip", Now's the time to overseed do you have the time? Then be sure to offer yourself as the solution.

Start making the change to a landscape service not a mowing service. Keep a spreader, loppers, shovels everything but a mower highly visible. Don't quit your day job though.

I mowed 8 residences a week. The other 4 days I kept busy trimming trees spraying weird shit, rolling seeding renovating etc. Only 5 weeks a season fertilizing. I dreaded the fertilizer thing, tons of bags that only made the mowing gig worse. Wink

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

This really is a good idea and inexpensive.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make your fertilizer business a different name (and business) than your mowing business. Talk to ALL of the mowing companies that don't fertilize and work a deal out with them that you'll give them a referral fee for each yard they send you and they'll give you a referral fee on each yard you send them (for mowing), when you get enough fertilizing jobs from everyone else......sell them your mowing jobs....or sell the mowing business as it's own entity.

My mowing guy who I'm personal friends with for 15 years, doesn't do fertilizing, he referred a company that does. I had a previous fertilizing company that ruined my lawn. The guy did such a great job that I referred him to 3 of my neighbors.....so I picked up 3 accounts from 1 customer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
word of mouth referrals

How do you increase the "word of mouth referrals"?

Offer customers a discount if they get a friend to use your service via a referral. Offer the new customer a discount to try your service.

If you can finance the referrals with labor there's no out of pocket. Sort of.

mark123

this has been very successful for the fertilizer company I use. they are a locally owned and operated small business. been around for many years and have a 5 star rating online (on their own site. they don't have but 4 or 5 reviews on yelp or google). seems as though the wont the referral local user reviews to project their business. I don't know if they control the reviews but I can say there is not one neighbor that wont refer them. everyone has nothing but good to say. the company also wins yearly with the best service company award in the county. they are all about customer service and referrals. my neighbor was using them before me. so he got my referral for the first year. then I have referred three other neighbors over the past few years who all signed up. it used to be a 15% off monthly billing for a year. now every referral they give you $5 per month off your monthly billing for a year (which is a better deal for the customer). and they don't limit it. if I had the referrals my monthly could be $0. I would say most of their customers in the neighborhood have been another neighbors referral. they also leave the small "don't enter yard has been treated no kids no dogs" signage. word of mouth is the best advertising. good luck with your future increase in business.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post