SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backpackers: Wood stove vs Gas canister
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpackers: Wood stove vs Gas canister Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted
So over the years my go to cook kit is a MSR pocket rocket 2.0 with small gas canister for weekend backpacking trips, coupled with a snow peak 1400ml titanium pot. To be honest I find the 1400 way to big for single person use. I mainly just heat water to add to dehydrated food and make coffee. Im looking to shed some weight/pack size so I was going to get a 900ml Ti pot. Ive being watching alot of youtube videos regarding wood stoves like the solo stove lite and fire box 2.0. Does anyone here have experience with wood stoves for backpacking? The areas I camp in are usually dry with plenty of tinder lying around.
Heres what Im looking at:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have many backpacking gadgets, and all manner of stove to pick from. I have a Solo stove when the owner first started selling them and were offering discounts in exchange for video reviews.

If you are rehydrating meals and making coffee, then just get a Jet Boil. The Zip is the cheapest and simplest.

Waiting 5 to 10 minutes for tinder to catch, then the stove to get hot enough to secondary combust, and then the water to boil is stupid slow. Then the dirty pot and stove gets all your stuff or your hands dirty. Then you have to maintain the fire if you want a second boil, or start it again.

With a jet Boil, I keep the stove and cup with me by the fire. I fire it up whenever I want and can make quick cups of hot water for tea, hot cocoa, dinner, etc. In the mornings, I'm 2 minutes away from a cup of coffee, then 60 seconds from oatmeal, then 60 seconds from coffee again.

For your intended use, the Jet Boil winds. Fuel weight is negligible. I've got on 7 day trips without finishing a canister.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Ive had a chance to use a jetboil flash that my friend had while car camping, im not sure its any better than the msr pocket rocket. I could see how it might work better in windy conditions, and it did boil a bit faster- but not by much. Good point about the fuel though. My thinking was with a wood stove I would have more versatility in what I could cook/heat, but to be honest its mostly just water. Maybe a SHTF situation would give the wood stove the advantage, but yeah not making alot of sense for weekend trips.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a solo and like the idea of them. But Aeteocles post makes sense in real-world practical terms for quickly heating water.

A solo would be good for a bug out bag or car kit perhaps or the biolite with USB charging feature.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not a fan of Jetboil, they seem cheaply made, lots of palstic parts and if you look around, there are many stories of them catching on fire, therea re also claims that Jetboil is anti hunting, all things aside, they are of inferior quality and I'd never use one.

Wood stoves aren't great either, what do you do when its raining and you can't find dry wood??? happened to my buddy on a moose hunt last season.

ID stick with your pocket rocket or if you really want to upgrade, get an MSR reactor.

I have the Reactor and a pocket rocket which I use for my sheep and goat hunts here in AK And they have never skipped a beat, YOu could check out the Toaks titanium cups/pots if you want to save space and weight.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I stick with what you have. Are you really going to save that much weight? You can go with a smaller pot with your Pocket Rocket.

I've tried many different stoves over the years. For the last few years, I have used a cheap Amazon canister stove. Works fine just heating up water light you do. I also cook mostly dehydrated meals now as I'm usually just doing a night or two when backpacking.

Around here on the East Coast, especially last year finding dry tinder can sometimes be a PIA.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I use neither. For years in the backcountry I have used MSR Whisperlite and 2 MSR cannisters filed with white gas. Always reliable and burns hot. Have found JetBoils and thier ilk unreliable at altitude.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I stick with what you have. Are you really going to save that much weight? You can go with a smaller pot with your Pocket Rocket.

I've tried many different stoves over the years. For the last few years, I have used a cheap Amazon canister stove. Works fine just heating up water light you do. I also cook mostly dehydrated meals now as I'm usually just doing a night or two when backpacking.

Around here on the East Coast, especially last year finding dry tinder can sometimes be a PIA.

Thats what my first instinct was. The snow peak 1400 is pretty big for one person, plus the frying pan lid is flimsy and basically useless.

posted Hide Post
Its stupid simple but it works: Esbit folding stove with the fuel tablets. And Esbit makes fancier stoves, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
I use neither. For years in the backcountry I have used MSR Whisperlite and 2 MSR cannisters filed with white gas. Always reliable and burns hot. Have found JetBoils and thier ilk unreliable at altitude.

A few years back I went car camping on a dive trip. Brought my old Wisperlight. Pumped it up and got it light. Turned to grab my food and pot looked back and the table was on fire. The plastic had cracked from age on the pump part and gas was spraying out.

It was a small fire and my buddy took a picture as I was trying to put it out. Have to love your good dive buddies.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Im a firm believer that simple is better. Thats why Ive avoided big fancy cooking systems like Jetboils. I too have seen pictures of Jetboil flux failures, and they aint pretty. A simple burner and a titanium pot has worked for me just fine. The wood stove interested me because of versatility and abundance of fuel that I dont have to pack, but the weight of the stove may be not much less than the canister itself.

Esbit looks kinda neat: simple, lightweight, compact and easy fuel. Downsides is it smells, leaves nasty residue, and takes a while to boil compared to burners.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
KISS. My Svea 123 was purchased for $10 in 1972. A replacement from Optimus is $120 Eek. I can get a rebuild kit for $25.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Medic, are you still in California?

I ask because I've encountered State Park Officers that will ticket people for trying to take a rock home ~ I can only guess burning State property, they will probably want to arrest you. Eek

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Alan Kay likes the Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove in titanium @ 4 ounces. Stainless steel @ 7.4 ounces also avail. I haven't used them.

He's a survivalist rather than backpacker, but some of his gear ideas are useful just the same. Interesting video if you haven't seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk-r-X1i5i8

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Medic, are you still in California?

I ask because I've encountered State Park Officers that will ticket people for trying to take a rock home ~ I can only guess burning State property, they will probably want to arrest you. Eek

Yep, many of our forest areas have strict no fire policies unless in a dedicated fire ring, especially late summer. Fuel stoves are almost always ok though. You can collect fallen wood is most areas without an issue, cutting stuff down is usually a no-no. This year should be a bit more relaxed due to the above average rainfall.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Primus white gas was my reliable companion 40 year ago. Hadn't used it for decades, then went out to the barn last fall & fired it up with no trouble. Mine was the aluminum body model. Probably a gas canister style would be easier today.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'd also recommend you check out Primus. They are definitely worth considering. About 20 years ago I bought a Primus Ti Alpine stove that was around 3 oz and screws into the canister. It's been pretty much flawless the whole time. Camp up to 9-10k in summers mostly. Down to around 20 degrees or so. Sips fuel. I use it nowadays for camping with my family here in the mountains and it always performs.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:

Thats the same setup I use, pretty foolproof.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
To go light, I like an alcohol burner stove. Fast to light and boil, simple, not heavy, fuel is light.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Wood burners leave the cooking pot soot covered. I carried a pouch to carry the used mess in.

Switched to a pocket rocket “kit” that included a pot with lid and a tiny pot lifter. The small fuel cell nests inside. I heated water for coffee and lunch 6 days on my last hunt with the small fuel tank. Clean easy and compact.

I sorta miss the wood. The gas is instant gratification and no hot coals to tend. I guess I’m done with wood till my next whim.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post