SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help with a van window.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a van window. Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
2007 Chevy Express drivers side window wants to come out of the track when the window is lowered. Last year I took off the door panel and squirted clear silicone in the track and put up the window and left it for a couple days and it held for quite a while. Now I am having the same problem and was wondering if the Forum Braintrust had any better suggestions on a better material to use to be permanent?

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
The glass came out of the rail that moves it up or down.
I am looking for an adhesive to put into the track that will stick to the window and hold it in place as the window moves.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Once you use silicone caulk you pretty well are screwed in my experience. Nothing sticks to that shit. Even more silicone.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Contact an auto window replacement company and see what they say to use.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Remove the window, scrape out the silicone and use an epoxy, instead?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Remove the window, scrape out the silicone and use an epoxy, instead?

Epoxy will probably be the way to go.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what we used in my brother's body shop for windshield. It should work for you case as well, but you need to absolutely clean the track well of any oil, old silicon, grease, etc.

Auto-glass urethane adhesive

Make sure you got the alignment straight before if cure. It is a major PITA to cut out requiring a heat knife.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
This is what we used in my brother's body shop for windshield. It should work for you case as well, but you need to absolutely clean the track well of any oil, old silicon, grease, etc.

Auto-glass urethane adhesive

Make sure you got the alignment straight before if cure. It is a major PITA to cut out requiring a heat knife.

This looks like it will be just the ticket

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor