SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dan Rather called Roger Waters a Rock God...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Rather called Roger Waters a Rock God... Login/Join 
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted
Is he?

This was on Rather’s Big Interview on AxsTv.

Pink Floyd is and has been my favorite band since the early 70’s.

I know Roger wrote much of the early songs, but I also give a lot of the music and how it was played, credit to the other members of the band.

David is my favorite guitar player. Richard just made the piano and organ sing.

Waters, a Rock God? I don’t think so!

David’s wife created the lyrics for most of the music written by Pink Floyd after the band’s breakup. David and the others wrote the music, and the Pink Floyd “sound” did not change much. It was just as good, if not better after Waters.

Imho

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Loved The Wall, but a rock god does not seem an appropriate title.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rather’s Big Interview

What else is he going to say?
He thereby elevates the importance of the interview, which (he thinks) elevates himself. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You have to take into consideration that is is Dan Rather. The guy who bet his credibility on a note with the address of 12345 Main Street.

Now Brian Williams was there!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roger Waters

He hates both Israel and Trump.
All of these "Rock Stars" think that their fans are interested in their Hollywood politics.
Piss on Waters!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Rather’s Big Interview

What else is he going to say?
He thereby elevates the importance of the interview, which (he thinks) elevates himself. Wink

This

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A rock god? No.

Waters was VERY creative, and even moreso when on dope, but not approaching god level by any stretch.

Now Gilmour on the other hand....

quote:
It was just as good, if not better after Waters.

I'd argue better.

Waters is and was a nutjob, which is likely why he was so creative in his mind. The only difference between then and now with him is that now he appears to be properly medicated, and he doesn't have the amazing talent backing him up.

He's done nothing of note since 1985, while Pink Floyd has continued to put out masterpieces.

Rock god? Hardly. A very talented man and musician? Yeah...I'll give him that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Was he a very good musician and part of one of the best albums of all time (The Wall?) Yes

Is he a rock good? No!

I really liked him but his politics have gotten in the way of his music and has tarnished his music and legacy. He's so infatuated with downing Israel, Bush & Trump that he has become irrelevant IMO.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather has put his name out there several times lately since being out of the MSM after "What's the frequency?" phopaugh. Maybe he's trying to angle a new gig, maybe with CNN or PMSNBC.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You lost me at Dan Rather.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I watched Rather's interview of Robert Plant. Worst hour interview I've ever witnessed. Just plain horrible, especially the obligatory shot of Rather intently listening. What a dufus.

As for Waters, others have put him in context, imho.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
**This Just In**

Dan Rather a Pompous Buffoon

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
If we define "rock god" as being the whiniest, least creative, and most annoying member of one of the best bands ever, then yes, he's a "rock god."

If we define it as "actually a great rock star," then no.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I agree, Waters is no rock God.....I always favored Gilmore way more and just wish I could play the axe like him....I keep trying though Big Grin

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
David Gilmour is a great rock star.

Waters is a hateful douche nozzle with musical talent.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The entertainment world is mostly a fantasy world and the people in it live there.
I watch or listen based on their artistic skills and try not to pay much attention to their opinions in any other area.
When they get too obnoxious or harmfully influential, Like Jane Fonda I do the only thing I can.
Tune them out, don't buy their products or support them in any way.
Pink Floyd was a great band but their music is where my interest stops.
Most of the people in entertainment just don't know what they don't know and overvalue what they think they know.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The evidence of Dan's claim is false, but he knows it's true anyway.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I dunno, even though Rather is a big liberal douche his interviews aka "the Big Interview" are largely political-less.....thank God.
I have seen quite a few of these and Politics have never been a focal point and rarely only a minor passing mention/point.
So calling Waters (also a liberal douche) a Rock God does not bother me.
I think Rather focuses well on the interviewee pretty well and it is why I have enjoyed them despite the personal douche-ness of Rather.
As far as how great Waters is in Rock History is debatable but my view is sans any political focus.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Pink Floyd lost part of its soul, when Waters left. I have albums of both, post break up.

I love Floyd for the music and Waters for the thoughtful lyrics. I have to admit, Waters sometimes reminds me of a cat in heat at points.

Awesome artists, not gods.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I can guess why Rather loves Waters. His concert images-

picupload

He made his hatred of Trump into his "art" Roll Eyes . Fuck Waters.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post