SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USA Today: "TSA PreCheck members fume as their lines get longer"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA Today: "TSA PreCheck members fume as their lines get longer" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

...Also, TSA 'agents' will put seniors and overflow from the main lines into the PreCheck line...ergo watering down the benefits of an easy security check. Mad

I see people at check-in who appear to have never seen an airport before, and I hustle to beat them thru the TSA checkpoint. Yes, MLI is small enough I can do that.

Don't get me started on the not-so-brilliant idea of sending the infrequent fliers thru the Pre Check line...

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to figure out how I can 'sneak' a small piece of heat treated metal past TSA so that when I pick up my checked baggage from Delta next Thursday I can unlatch the big nylon wire straps they will have put on it to keep me from opening in the airport and shooting everyone. Two problems with the new nylon straps... first they don't do anything and 2nd they are really nice and I like to keep them and reuse.
In theory, if you could not slip them off, how are you supposed to remove them since to cut them you need a knife and that would also have to be stored inside the checked bag?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm trying to figure out how I can 'sneak' a small piece of heat treated metal past TSA so that when I pick up my checked baggage from Delta next Thursday I can unlatch the big nylon wire straps they will have put on it to keep me from opening in the airport and shooting everyone. Two problems with the new nylon straps... first they don't do anything and 2nd they are really nice and I like to keep them and reuse.
In theory, if you could not slip them off, how are you supposed to remove them since to cut them you need a knife and that would also have to be stored inside the checked bag?

Nail clippers will cut those tags. But I carry a seat belt cutter on my carry-on that has never been flagged by the TSA. That's what I use to cut off wire ties.

Are you checking a firearm? Delta doesn't otherwise just zip tie people's bags shut.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had the same issue coming into to Atlanta. My bag was zip tied from stem to stern due to having a fire arm and my keys (on a Kubaton) were in my bag. I asked the cop at the special luggage pickup if she had a knife and she said no. I asked how I was supposed to get in my bag to get my keys? No answer.

What do they do if you fly with a gun case not in another bag, such as a briefcase size case???

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
quote:

I had the same issue coming into to Atlanta. My bag was zip tied from stem to stern due to having a fire arm and my keys (on a Kubaton) were in my bag. I asked the cop at the special luggage pickup if she had a knife and she said no. I asked how I was supposed to get in my bag to get my keys? No answer.

What do they do if you fly with a gun case not in another bag, such as a briefcase size case???

Putting your keys--house, car, or otherwise--in your checked bag seems like a really bad idea to me. Especially if you're flying home and your car is parked at the airport...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Putting your keys--house, car, or otherwise--in your checked bag seems like a really bad idea to me. Especially if you're flying home and your car is parked at the airport...

It's Atlanta, only a million cars at the airport and a million places to park it for someone to find it and my house. You can't carry a Kubaton on board, but you can carry a 7" screw driver. Makes sense.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's Atlanta, only a million cars at the airport and a million places to park it for someone to find it and my house. You can't carry a Kubaton on board, but you can carry a 7" screw driver. Makes sense.

My point wasn't that someone might steal your car. My point was that if the airline loses your bag or if your bag is delayed then you're screwed. Happened to a co-worker of mine. For some silly reason he put his keys in his checked bag. He arrived at his destination, but his bag didn't. He was two hours from home and ended up having to get a hotel because he couldn't get into or start his truck. His bag arrived the following evening.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I can get in my truck with my phone and keep a spare key. In this instance I had to unlock my truck with my phone and get a knife out to cut the damn zip ties.

As with most things TSA, this new procedure was not thought out.

NRA Life Member

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I keep one of these hooked on the outside of my backpack for situations like that. Tsa has never had an issue with it.

resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool, Made in USA (Black) - Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...cp_taa_4gWgAbYZFH7TH

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Saluki
posted Hide Post
The wife recently got a lot of extra attention by having a box of Lincoln Logs in her carry on.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The wife recently got a lot of extra attention by having a box of Lincoln Logs in her carry on.

Well, they sort of resemble dynamite sticks. Yeah, that may be a stretch but I'm not going to criticize TSA for taking a second look.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Huh. I always carry my keys in my pants pocket. Never put them in luggage.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep one of these hooked on the outside of my backpack for situations like that. Tsa has never had an issue with it.

resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool, Made in USA (Black) - Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...cp_taa_4gWgAbYZFH7TH

Great idea.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My point wasn't that someone might steal your car. My point was that if the airline loses your bag or if your bag is delayed then you're screwed. Happened to a co-worker of mine. For some silly reason he put his keys in his checked bag. He arrived at his destination, but his bag didn't. He was two hours from home and ended up having to get a hotel because he couldn't get into or start his truck. His bag arrived the following evening.

Tough lesson.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will have a pistol or two in my checked bag and I want to be able to get it out and on as soon as I'm out of the terminal in Vegas.... nail clippers are a good idea (are y'all sure they are allowed in carry on?)

I wanted to not cut the big nylon ties so I could reused them.... I actually figured out the solution.... the bag I'm going to check has two outside zippered pouches... I'm going to put the nylon tie release tool in one of those.

Next question.... I'm thinking about putting my holster in my carry on bag.. do y'all think TSA will bust a balloon when they see the empty holster?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Next question.... I'm thinking about putting my holster in my carry on bag.. do y'all think TSA will bust a balloon when they see the empty holster?

No. That won't be a problem. If they see it during a search, they might take an extra minute searching for the gun that's supposed to be in it, but the holster itself is fine.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:

...nail clippers are a good idea (are y'all sure they are allowed in carry on?)...

Yes, nail clippers are GTG.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec...ibring/sharp-objects

Nail Clippers

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

posted Hide Post
I've got Global Entry. The side benefit of pre-check makes it so worth it. Not having to do the shoes off, laptop out, etc fucktardedness is so worth it. When I Fly, I almost always fly in athletic pants so I don't have to worry about belt bullshit going through the MD.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile we'll be doing the opposite this summer when we have to fly to Raleigh, NC for Outdoor Nationals. I'll be packing a starter pistol or a CO2 pistol in with my daughter's bow case. That way, it's considered a firearm, goes through TSA screening and less likely to be fucked with by baggage handlers.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post