SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flanders Fields
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flanders Fields Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you, from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,
In Flanders fields.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I can never express enough gratitude for those who have lost their lives while serving in the military. They have paid the ultimate price. Frown

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting ffips.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In Flanders fields was written by a Canadian soldier and surgeon. I lived in Canada for nearly 2 years, and most of my Canadian friends and coworkers wore Poppies on Remembrance Day (same day as our Veterans Day). Additionally, In Flanders Fields was played throughout the day on the radio and was all over social media.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
In Flanders fields was written by a Canadian soldier and surgeon. I lived in Canada for nearly 2 years, and most of my Canadian friends and coworkers wore Poppies on Remembrance Day (same day as our Veterans Day). Additionally, In Flanders Fields was played throughout the day on the radio and was all over social media.

I learned some of that history this morning. He wrote the poem in 1915 the day after he had buried his friend who had died from a German shell. It is an interesting story.

The National World War I Museum and Memorial is in Kansas City, MO. I should have gone while I was there.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
The National World War I Museum and Memorial is in Kansas City, MO. I should have gone while I was there.

It's well worth a trip. One of the better military-related museums I've been to.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I learned some of that history this morning. He wrote the poem in 1915 the day after he had buried his friend who had died from a German shell. It is an interesting story.
Wikipedia doesn't cover this aspect - McCrae was the brigade doctor and the chaplain was away so McCrae conducted the funeral for his friend.

Another interesting tidbid, McCrae crumpled up the paper he had written the poem, and a fellow officer (debate as to which) convinced him to submit it for publishing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There was a day every year when everyone wore a poppy on their lapel, handed out by some service organization, maybe VFW and/or American Legion, perhaps for a donation. Anyway, it was near universal.

That custom stopped suddenly. Something to do with drugs, IIRC.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I clicked on this thread knowing that I would get emotional and cry. I always do when reading that poem. I can't explain it--it probably has something to do with some event during my childhood. Nevertheless, it persists.

I certainly remember the lapel poppies on Armistice Day (now called Veterans' Day) every year. Most of them were fake paper poppies, so I don't really "get" a drug connection. I have no doubt that the poppy symbol was at least partly a result of this moving poem. I'm guessing that the poppies were stopped when the day ceased being just about WWI.

(Pardon me--my screen is blurry.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I looked it up.

quote:
One species of poppy, Papaver somniferum, is the source of the crude drug opium which contains powerful medicinal alkaloids such as morphine and has been used since ancient times as an analgesic and narcotic medicinal and recreational drug. It also produces edible seeds. Following the trench warfare which took place in the poppy fields of Flanders during World War I, poppies have become a symbol of remembrance of soldiers who have died during wartime.
wikipedia

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been a number of programs on WWI offered by our local history center. There is a cemetery walk coming up on 6-1 with re-enactors playing the role of the Doughboys. I hope to attend.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There was a day every year when everyone wore a poppy on their lapel, handed out by some service organization, maybe VFW and/or American Legion, perhaps for a donation. Anyway, it was near universal.

That custom stopped suddenly. Something to do with drugs, IIRC.

The VFW has a program Buddy Poppy. That is likely what you are remembering. I hope to be able to find one nearby and see if they are participating.

I remember finding a huge stash of them at my grandparent's house and not understanding what they were.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I clicked on this thread knowing that I would get emotional and cry. I always do when reading that poem. I can't explain it--it probably has something to do with some event during my childhood. Nevertheless, it persists.

I certainly remember the lapel poppies on Armistice Day (now called Veterans' Day) every year. Most of them were fake paper poppies, so I don't really "get" a drug connection. I have no doubt that the poppy symbol was at least partly a result of this moving poem. I'm guessing that the poppies were stopped when the day ceased being just about WWI.

(Pardon me--my screen is blurry.)

flashguy

Thank you for sharing your story. I am always amazed at the ability of words to draw out emotions.

My intent wasn't necessarily to aim this at WWI, but more toward the reminding that this holiday isn't about BBQ. Either way, I feel a bit more closely linked to those who have posted as they "get it."

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
"A mon fils-depuis que tes yeux sont ferme's les miens n'ont pas cesse' de pleurer"

To my son, since your eyes have closed mine have not ceased to weep (Verdun).

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I wrote that I didn't get a drug connection, I was meaning in reference to stopping the use of poppies to commemorate Armistice Day. (I did/do know that opium comes from poppies.)

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Remembered today, in the American Cemetery at Madingley, just outside Cambridge, England -

Lt Thomas J Foley of Massachusetts + 23 February 1945 - lost over the North Sea in 466 BG Liberator 'Chris' Crate' - commemorated on the Wall of Remembrance.

Cpl John D Foley Jnr + 3 July 1944 of California - Plot C, Row O, Grave #58.

'At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them'.

tac

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Remembered today, in the American Cemetery at Madingley, just outside Cambridge, England -

Lt Thomas J Foley of Massachusetts + 23 February 1945 - lost over the North Sea in 466 BG Liberator 'Chris' Crate' - commemorated on the Wall of Remembrance.

tac
Father and uncle, tf?

flashguy

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Stopped in at the VFW on the way home. If any prior posters would like one or two buddy poppys, drop me an email with your address.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

My wife and I were part of a church group that visited Madingley several years ago. It was one of the most sobering events I've ever experienced.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post