SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cabela’s HQ, Sidney, NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela’s HQ, Sidney, NE Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Stopped by, what I used to refer to as “The Mother Ship,” the former headquarters of Cabela’s in Sidney. When Bass Pro bought out Cabela’s, they stated that they would continue to operate Cabela’s as a separate brand. Well, the store still has the old name on it, but it’s far from a separate brand. Bass Pro lines of clothing, like Redhead, are everywhere and those with Cabela’s name are being phased out. Other things like toy trucks with Cabela’s logo are on sale. The “Bargain Cave” is gone—even in Sidney.

Fukkin’ VCs. I think it’s a shame

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Cabelas branded clothes were usually good quality. Bass Pro clothes were poor enough that I haven't bought any from them in many years.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Like most I held Cabela’s in higher esteem than Bas Pro, visited more often.

Yes, Bass Pro has cheaper stuff, but they are still in business anyway. It’s just part of change, even the ‘super’ Walmarts have stiff competition now.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Cabelas also had a lot of tall sized clothing old Red Head does not.

The Bass Pro bastards also got rid of the Bargain Cave in the store and moved it strictly online. That was the biggest draw to the store for me. All about just seeing what was there for silly cheap on occasion. Too hard to scroll thru odds and ends online so it is pretty much useless.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The “Bargain Cave” is gone—even in Sidney.

Fukkin’ VCs. I think it’s a shame

Been disappointed in the Gun library more so since BP took over, but losing the Bargain Cave means I seldom go to a Cabala's anymore. I've gotten everything from clothes to reloading components at the Bargain Cave in the past. No more...

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Was just telling the wife I thought Cabelas is having its last Christmas. The flyer is ate up with Bass Pro shit (and I do mean shit).

I live less than 15 minutes from one of the originals. You've got to push through purses, logo hoody sand a myriad of other non outdoors related crap to find a simple orange vest. 8' of shelf space dedicated to long underwear... In MINNESOTA? Oofda.

Damn shame.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Bass Pro bastards also got rid of the Bargain Cave in the store and moved it strictly online. That was the biggest draw to the store for me.

If they're operating a brick and mortar store, why on earth would they do something that would cut down on foot traffic like that?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Cabelas branded clothes were usually good quality. Bass Pro clothes were poor enough that I haven't bought any from them in many years.

I found this to be true as well...Red Head not so much..

Shame really, I guess I will find another brand.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the local Cabelas that has now been rebranded as a Bass Pro last week. Was bummed about the loss of the bargain cave and noticed the not so great quality of clothing as I was going to get a couple heavier shirts for winter (need tall’s)

My biggest surprise was that they willingly negotiated on a used P239. $375 with 2 mags and no box.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I won’t even waste my time going in a Bass Pro. I’m not in the market for a NASCAR ball cap or T-shirt.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
I always preferred Cabala’s over Bass Pro. As stated before, it is too bad they discontinued the bargain cave, after being acquired. I will not visit as often I am sure.

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was at the Buda, Texas Cabela's today, and I noticed an entire section with "Cabels's" branded clothing and other items. I think I noticed it because it was such a large area of the store, and I thought it strange that they were trying to hock all of their branded items in one area and not throughout the rest of the store.

I have no loyalty the Cabela's brand or even Bass Pro Shop's Outdoor World for that matter. However, I don't want to see these huge "manly" stores die out. We need stores with super high ceilings, a lot of taxidermied animals, live fish, etc....

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local Cabela's here in WI still has the Bargain Cave, but it's probably just a matter of time before it closes. The Gun Library has been declining ever since the Bass Pros takeover. Those are the only two reasons I ever go there.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
I am also disappointed in the gradual change that is happening at Cabelas. It used to be if you watched the bargain basement area of the Cabelas website you could pick up some great deals on Cabelas clothing.

Last year I got the MT050 gore tex bibs and parka for $100.00 each. Great stuff.

Here in the Green Bay Cabelas they have taken away the bargain cave altogether. They are more pushing the Red Head brand now. I think it is time I change to another brand.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Had Cabelas stayed mostly mail-order with a few large stores in the midwest, they would be the Amazon of the outdoor market and would be booming right now. It is what made the company what it was: Good quality products at good prices.

Piss-poor business decisions leading to stores popping up everywhere like mushrooms with prices rising to pay for them did them in.

All IMO of course and based solely on the business degree that I don't have. Wink

I fondly remember that huge catalogue that came once a year. Flipping through the pages and dreaming about all the things that I wanted was a fun pastime.

Another era gone.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
It's been a gradual downhill slide for Cabela's over the years. We used to have the annual guy pilgrimage from Denver to Sydney to go to Cabela's have dinner in the greasy spoon in tow, buy Powerball tickets and head back to Denver. The Bargain Cave was fantastic. If there was a major purchase of outdoor gear we needed to make, we'd save it for the annual Cabala's trip. It was worth it for the quality gear and the well knowledged and helpful sales staff.

Then we noticed things starting to slip. More big box stored being built all over the country. Less name brand gear and more Cabela's branded gear. When we were in Alaska 3 years ago, Jeff King, a prominent dog musher in Alaska who designed a lot of their stuff said they dropped his sponsorship a few years previously when they went from privately owned to publicly traded. That's about the same time we noticed the changes.

Now that I'm living in Anchorage I've been to both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops here. Cabela's here is phenomenal. Much smaller than the stores I've been to in Nebraska and Arizona. Single story and absolutely jamb packed, there is not wasted space. And the majority is hard core outdoor gear tailored to Alaska. I'm really hoping that doesn't change with the Bass take over.

Bass Pro Shops here, flannel shirts, khakis, polos and t-shirts with the Bass Pro logo.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Always compared the big box outdoor stores to the home improvement stores.

Nicest...Lowe’s = Cabelas
Middle of the road = Home Depot = Bass Pro
Bargain store = Menard = Ganders

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Cabela's even owned the bank that issues their Visa card. Now it is going to become a Capital One MasterCard. I wonder what will happen to the Bristol, VA store that only opened a couple of years ago, with a Bass Pro in Bristol, TN.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wonder the same about Cincinnati.
Bass Pro has been there for many years in a really crappy location.
Cabelas built a couple years ago in a much better location.
Bass Pro is/was supposed to build a new store just 3 miles down the interstate from Cabelas.
Not sure if they are still planning to build.

I sent this thread to Bass Pro CS as I am presuming this is the sentiment outside of this forum as well.

Maybe in the least we can get the Bargain Cave back.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I was so pissed when Bass Shit Pro bought Cabelas what a shame. I have a fiew pieces of Cabelas hunting clothes and jacket - orders of magnitude better quality than Bass Shitty Pro rags. I stop by Bass Pro once in a while to pick up Moon Pies. They are fresh and they have all the flavors - chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, bananna. But for ammo ? Nope. Guns ? Nope. Expert help ? You gotta be kidding. They have a decent selection of camping and fishing gear but I don't do much of either any more. Anything like serious base layers or boots I have to go to a bona fide internet backpacking or outfitter retail store.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post