SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here feel immune to drug addiction?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here feel immune to drug addiction? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Control over things that are bad for me is more than will power or luck. I'll call it a gift or a blessing and give thanks for it. I won't claim victory over any of the failings of being human. Such is a fool's errand.

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would not say I'm immune, but I'm also not likely to become addicted. When in the hospital for and after major surgery I have been given various pain medications (although the staff seemed concerned that I didn't avail myself of as much morphine as they expected me to--I hardly touched it). I have had hydrocodone prescribed for a temporary problem and stopped when the situation was over with no difficulties. I don't believe I've ever experienced a "high" from whatever drugs were being employed--the relief from pain was welcome, of course.

I have never smoked anything (not even ONE) and don't drink alcohol (well, a celebratory sip of champagne, perhaps), but I definitely want my daily dosage of caffeine. Without it, I'd probably be narcoleptic.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I would not say I'm immune, but I'm also not likely to become addicted. When in the hospital for and after major surgery I have been given various pain medications (although the staff seemed concerned that I didn't avail myself of as much morphine as they expected me to--I hardly touched it). I have had hydrocodone prescribed for a temporary problem and stopped when the situation was over with no difficulties. I don't believe I've ever experienced a "high" from whatever drugs were being employed--the relief from pain was welcome, of course.

I have never smoked anything (not even ONE) and don't drink alcohol (well, a celebratory sip of champagne, perhaps), but I definitely want my daily dosage of caffeine. Without it, I'd probably be narcoleptic.

flashguy

My God, you are all set to be the new Mormon bigshot that just died, lol.
Seriously, you are the boy scoutiest fella I might have heard say it out loud, but I don't doubt you. I am pretty square myself, but don't have your bragging rights.
Kudos.BTW, you might have to do something about that champagne,lol.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I hate puking more than anything the body does to me. I'd rather be sick for a month than puke and be better in an hour. Opiates make me puke. The only thing I can take for surgical pain is Lortab....but those plug me up tight as a frog's butt. So I'm not likely to be addicted to pain meds. I have never used any other recreational drug. I have never intentionally used alcohol. I have never used tobacco. I was athletic as a younger guy but had certain physical disadvantages that I believed would be emphasized if I used substances. When I transitioned to serious body building, I stayed natural and competed with other natural weight lifters. Now that I am older and my injuries are coming back to stay, I'm glad I did not complicate things with substance abuse.

I am, however, addicted to Dr. Pepper and SIGforum. Razz

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I'm a caffeine addict, but at least black coffee and tea sans sweeteners have both been shown to have positive health benefits beyond caffeine. I enjoy the entire experience of brewing and drinking coffee:

I enjoy craft beer, but more for the variety of flavors that can be obtained from the four ingredients than the alcohol.

The two times in my life I was precribed pain meds I didn't finish them as I wanted off as soon as the pain was tolerable. Don't like how they make me feel at all.

I enjoyed smoking pipe tobacco once upon a time, but gave it up due to unacceptable risk to my health.

I've never tried any other illicit drugs including marijuana, no interest and too much to lose and nothing to gain.

All that said, it is foolish to assume that willpower can defeat biology and pharmacology under certain circumstances when it comes to drugs and addiction.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
To the OP, you've been taking pain meds for 10 years, and you don't think you're physically addicted to them?

You missed where I wrote that I only use them 1-2 days a year. Sometimes it’s 1-2 days every couple of years between back issues. Last year I had them but didn’t use them the last time my back pain flared up. They lessen the pain but I can do without them and have. If you consider that an addiction then we are using very different dictionaries.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post