SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here feel immune to drug addiction?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here feel immune to drug addiction? Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
I didn’t want to derail another thread but I’m curious how many people are like me. Drugs do nothing for me, I’ve never felt anything special from the very limited use of illegal drugs I’ve tried or from prescription drugs. I’ve got back issues and have hydrocodone (500mg) and Valium on hand at all times, my orthopedic surgeon has prescribed them since I was first diagnosed. I’ve had those prescribed for about 10 years now and have never had a problem. It always seems like my body takes more drugs than other people to see results so I wonder if that is part of the reason. When getting lidocaine I normally take more shots than the average person to numb the area, drugs just don’t affect me like they do other people. Even energy drinks and caffeine do nothing for me, I can drink them then go to sleep.
Although the Valium and hydrocodone slowly make my back pain disappear I don’t feel in the least that I could be addicted to them. I suppose if my pain gets extreme I would want to use them more but after using these for about 10 years I still do not think I would ever be addicted to them. I’m grateful for this after experiencing my step sister die from an OD on prescription drugs and after my friends caught died from an overdose at 21 years old. Anyone else like me when it comes to drug addiction?

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have never used any drugs other than an antibiotics for Lyme Disease. I don't even take aspirin other than keep a bottle handy in cause I feel like I am having a heart attack.

The problem is that doctors are educated in using drugs to cure a problem when a diet change, exercise, or a nutritional supplement may be the solution.

The FDA is the real problem with a revolving door of FDA personal going to work for drug companies after leaving the FDA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are lucky on one hand and unlucky on the other. Pain killers make us nauseous. Never will get addicted to them but the few times we've needed them we got no relief.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I stay away from pain meds just because of what they do. I have Vicodin on prescription for my back, but I haven't taken one in a long while. Maybe a couple years. I'm not even sure they're still good. Most of the time naproxen is good enough for me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Addiction is as much a mental as it is a physical issue. If you think you're immune you probably have the mental discipline to not only avoid sutuations, but to also seek treatment if you thought you were having a problem. The problem is no one is immune, as many have found out.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont understand why with all the brilliant minds we have, the only strong pain relievers prescribed are addictive. Especially when derived from opiates. I believe someone needs to be held accountable for causing addictions, OD and many times, deaths. I hope I never am in such pain as to need those high power pain relivers because I will just go without.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm immune.
When I broke my ankle, I took a total of 3 of my hydrocodones, I felt no need to take anymore.
I don't drink much alcohol and would not miss it if it was never distilled ever again.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t smoke, drink or gamble. Have probably taken less than 10 narcotic pain pills in my life after surgery. I don’t think I have an addictive personality, but it would be naive of me to claim immunity.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
don't smoke, don't drink, don't take pain meds, I WOULD be addicted Eek

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont understand why with all the brilliant minds we have, the only strong pain relievers prescribed are addictive. Especially when derived from opiates. I believe someone needs to be held accountable for causing addictions, OD and many times, deaths. I hope I never am in such pain as to need those high power pain relivers because I will just go without.

The FDA needs to be accountable. Read my article by Dr. Fallon I posted here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3470068534/p/3

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
No disrespect intended, but no one is immune. As you have seen on previous threads, drug addiction attacks your family, friends, and co-workers, regardless if you want to be involved.

I told my high school aged sons if they ever get involved in that stuff, I hope it kills them the first time. They won't drag our family through it. My oldest had a close friend who lost both his parents because of it, so that kind of emphasized my point.

After a painful knee/leg operation, and even worse 6 months of rehab, I was on Vicodin. I can understand why people get addicted to it, but after my course of treatment, I was able to "walk" away without any issues. I do remember joking that Myrtle Beach was pretty cool on Vicodin.

Yes, I understand that it might not "effect" you, but it can "affect" you. Grammer Nazi's correct my English.

I can't imagine having a loved one going through this. It's worse than Hell.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I suspect many addicts previously thought the same. Unforeseen factors can alter lives.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve got back issues and have hydrocodone (500mg) and Valium on hand at all times

quote:
after using these for about 10 years

quote:
Drugs do nothing for me

Take this for what it's worth, but if I had a condition that required narcotics be on hand at all times with a 10 year history of use, and backed that up with the statement 'drugs do nothing for me', then I'd either ask my doc why he keeps prescribing them or why we haven't done whatever surgery or rehab is necessary to prevent them.

To me, your post reads like that of the guy who always has beer in the fridge and scotch in the cabinet, who has a drink every night to 'take the edge off' but says he's not an alcoholic.

If you want to know for sure, purge them from your life. If you don't want to or can't bring yourself to, maybe that means something else?

Please don't take this as sarcasm.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I am blessed to say I don't have an addictive personality. As someone who can take or leave pain meds, alchohol, or anything else, I'm not so foolish enough to look at someone else and scoff at their addictions. I don't understand it because I'm not influenced by it, but I recognize it is real.

Now, hot tamales or swedish fish...? Yea, I understand addiction.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly believe that no one is immune, but the "triggers" may be different for some folks. Me, I have trouble navigating life straight, God knows how I would be if high. Don't like it, won't do it. Wife likes to tip the wine bottle a little too much though sometimes, IMHO.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see the effects of drug addiction every night and when I worked the streets the calls for service came from all socioeconomic statuses.

I took a vicodin pill when I had my wisdom teeth out and I did not like the effects it had on me.

Heck, I hate the fact that for the last two weeks I have had to take cold pills.

Am I immune, I don't believe so. I have only been in one situation where I was prescribed narcotics and that was for my inguinal hernia surgery. I just took aspirins, because after the Vicodin episode I was afraid to take the Oxycontin.

I also never saw how people can get addicted to video gambling. I always lose and I am cheap.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I've broken multiple, bones, including multiple rib fractures at once. I've never taken pain meds and God willing never will. It's a fucking crime that medical marijuana is illegal in this country while their is a national (institutionalized) opioid epidemic. I have a friend that has walk in clinics that are suedo pain management (suboxone) pill mills. Addiction is a huge business.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Number one drug in America...caffeine. Now who's immune?

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I am not immune to drugs but opiates make me sick and feel very jittery and anxious. I hate taking them. Post surgery I have to take a few but am off as soon as possible. I dread taking them more than the surgeries that require them.

I had a C6-C7 ACDF and only took the Oxycodone very sparingly. The feeling I had while on them was not a whole lot better than the post surgical pain. I took about 5 out of a whole bottle prescribed.

I may one day have an addiction problem, but I doubt it will have anything to do with opiates.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ukhayes:
Number one drug in America...caffeine. Now who's immune?

Caffeine, and nicotine are my addictions.

I quit smoking for seven years, had a weak moment, went straight back to smoking cigarettes like I never quit.

I will quit smoking...again.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post