SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Shocks? Suggestions....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Shocks? Suggestions.... Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I am about to purchase 6'x12' TA cargo trailer and begin moving some household goods to our new home in the mountains in N.C. ( Murphy area )

My F150 (trailer tow pkg) is already loaded with art show gear and has a slight sag on the rear due to load. I'm concerned that when I had the trailer it will sag more. In the past I have had air shocks however it has been several years since I have had that need.

What's on the market today? Are air shocks still they best bet?

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/...gs-09-12-f150-pickup

Springs support load, and deflection of the spring is a simple linear equation.

I would rather have a mechanical solution as linked above than the artificial support of an air shock.

No personal experience. Just a middle-aged mechanical engineer in the car industry.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I used the Rite-Rite Airhelper system on my half ton for towing a travel trailer. It made a huge difference in ride and stability. I installed it myself in about an hour without help and I am not the do-it-yourself type.

http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite%20Product%20Detail

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Holy oversized avatar, Batman!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Firestone airbags on my F150...and as someone else mentioned, they make a very noticeable difference when towing heavy loads.

I had them on my last truck as well. I think they are a "must have" upgrade if you're towing or even carrying a lot of weight in the bed.

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I used the Rite-Rite Airhelper system on my half ton for towing a travel trailer. It made a huge difference in ride and stability. I installed it myself in about an hour without help and I am not the do-it-yourself type.

http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite%20Product%20Detail

Thanks!! That is exactly what I needed. I will order the parts today!!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Rent a more capable truck. Enterprise Commercial rents 250/2500s and 350/3500s, or just rent a box truck from U-Haul, Penske, etc.

Posts: 10911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post