SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York man faces illegal weapons charges after killing 2 burglars in his home: report
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York man faces illegal weapons charges after killing 2 burglars in his home: report Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife used to wonder why I didn't even want to visit NYC, much less live anywhere near there.

She understands now.

She used to occasionally bring up how she'd like to see NYC. "Been there. Twice. That was at least one-too-many times." I'll take her many places she'd like to go. And have. New York and California are two places I won't go. Not even for her.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
You need a permit just to own a gun in rural NY?

Yes, in the state of NY you need a Handgun license to posses a handgun (there are some exceptions). Additionally, each hand gun you own must be on the license including make, model, serial number and caliber. You aren't supposed to have a handgun that is not on your license. NYS PENAL CODE sections 400.00 (License) and section 165 (Definitions and possession).

Another lovely thing about NY is that different areas can have different sets of rules as well. For example, NYC doesn't recognize Licenses issued outside NYC.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I just read another report that the handgun had belonged to his late father, who had been a fire chief. He apparently just didn't go register it after his father died. What a stupid ass law.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Ya it's definitely good thing he survived. Didn't mean to come across as advocating for the laws. I think NY has some terrible laws just like CA, and I hate that we even have to weigh the option of breaking a lame law or defending yourself in a way you feel is adequate. Always better to be alive to defend yourself.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The recidivism rate for dead crooks is zero point zero.

Now see the governors of these blue states, and the MSM, just ignore that important statistic.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
You aren't supposed to have a handgun that is not on your license.

Eek

The license would have to be printed in 6pt on legal sized paper, double sided. I’d have to have big pockets just to carry it around. Smile

It’s tough for you guys living behind the iron curtain. God speed, brothers.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
One of the many places that would improve after a nuclear strike.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

With few exceptions, you need a permit to TOUCH a handgun.

In my area your license is a plastic card like your drivers license. I know people with upwards of 17 double sided cards. Smile

People think New York City for everything. That's "NY Country", Deerfield is closer to Canada than it is NYC. NY is just like every other state, "New York City" (and by that I mean NYC, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and anything else similar) ruins everything for the rest of the state.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Well there’s NYC and some of the area around it and then there’s the rest of the state. Obviously there are members here who don’t fit the demographic of that area. Much of upstate is Red with lots of hunters, fisherman, and people enjoying the outdoors. The Adirondack Park is the largest publicly protected area in the lower 48, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

Posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
One of the many places that would improve after a nuclear strike.

Can we refrain from this hyperbole please. It is not needed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
The Adirondack Park is the largest publicly protected area in the lower 48, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

Because I'm a Park nerd, I had a big paragraph typed out refuting the "greater in size...combined" part (Adirondack is about 60% of the size of those parks combined) and discussing land ownership percentages (public vs. private.)

Because I despise NY gun policy, I erased a big paragraph because none of that really matters... point taken, Adirondack is a cool park and NYS isn't NYC. Big Grin

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Plague, meteorite, volcano, something really life changing. It’s incredible that a state enforces laws that fly in the face of the constitution so blatantly. I bet those cops feel like real heroes.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
The Adirondack Park is the largest publicly protected area in the lower 48, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.

Because I'm a Park nerd, I had a big paragraph typed out refuting the "greater in size...combined" part (Adirondack is about 60% of the size of those parks combined) and discussing land ownership percentages (public vs. private.)

Because I despise NY gun policy, I erased a big paragraph because none of that really matters... point taken, Adirondack is a cool park and NYS isn't NYC. Big Grin

What I read measured the park as approximately 6 million acres, but I am no park nerd by any means. You paraphrased what I was saying well.

Posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that the dead crook's vote will live on.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, in the state of NY you need a Handgun license to posses a handgun (there are some exceptions). Additionally, each hand gun you own must be on the license including make, model, serial number and caliber. You aren't supposed to have a handgun that is not on your license. NYS PENAL CODE sections 400.00 (License) and section 165 (Definitions and possession).

Another lovely thing about NY is that different areas can have different sets of rules as well. For example, NYC doesn't recognize Licenses issued outside NYC.

Sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much like the UK to me.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Plague, meteorite, volcano, something really life changing. It’s incredible that a state enforces laws that fly in the face of the constitution so blatantly. I bet those cops feel like real heroes.

Come off it. Seriously. How about if I wish something bad on your home? Grow up.

Skip the unnecessary negative waves.

Disasters rarely change politics, and lots of innocents are going to die who perhaps don't deserve your ire. Would you like a couple more airliners flown into buildings in NYC? How about more wildfires in CA? More school shootings in CT? Flooding in LA?

Peddle that poor attitude elsewhere.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
I'm sure that the dead crook's vote will live on.

Big Grin

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about if I wish something bad on your home?

I think the same of the Seattle area. Too many people who could hardly be called American.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet those cops feel like real heroes.

It really is a different world in some of those East Coast states. I lived in NJ until I was 21, almost 22. I am not exaggerating when I say NJ is a police state. Even rural parts of NJ are a police state (where I grew up). Many parts of NY are the same. Many times you don't really realize it until you are out from under their thumb.

When I first moved to Colorado I went with a friend to the Larmier county, Colorado sheriff's office as he had to pay a ticket. While I was there I asked for an application for a FOID (required in NJ). They had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. I told them I had just moved here from NJ and I thought I needed one to buy a gun. Their exact words to me, "Son, you're in the wild west now. The only thing you need to buy a gun is a drivers license!"

OK, Thanks! And I waled out. Colorado is turning more and more blue everyday, but most of it is still deep red.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
You aren't supposed to have a handgun that is not on your license.

Eek

The license would have to be printed in 6pt on legal sized paper, double sided. I’d have to have big pockets just to carry it around. Smile

It’s tough for you guys living behind the iron curtain. God speed, brothers.

Indeed, I actually have to carry 2 drivers licenses sized cards with me.

If it wasn't for my family and firehouse (family) I'd have shifted my home of record a while ago.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post