SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Abandoning a disabled car on the road in your state?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abandoning a disabled car on the road in your state? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No one knows the origin of the white fabric out the window?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20875 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid I was told to raise the hood, tie a rag to the antenna and wait. I guess now that most cars do not have an antenna there are other options. I really don't know the answer.

Posts: 17296 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In the Commonwealth of Kentucky, there are two classifications of disabled vehicles by location. Both are vehicles that are not blocking or presenting a traffic hazard. The first is any local, state or federal roadway. A disabled vehicle on a local, state or federal roadway may set on the side of the roadway for 3 days. At the three day mark, it is deemed to be abandoned and can be removed.
On a limited access roadway (interstate), the vehicle can only remain six hours by KAR. At the six hour mark, it gets towed. Some agencies don't enforce it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37121 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
In NC the law allows removal at the 24 hour mark.

Most agencies extend that. In Charlotte it is 96 hours, I believe. Blocking a roadway is immediate tow, however. It's really a PITA to tow a vehicle unless it's unquestionably a hazard.

I'll keep my opinion to myself on that one.

The exact spot
That's a hazard. I'd have called 911 and reported it. Around here, that'd get towed, and in the meantime, probably a car or flares out behind it.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Arizona will tag the owner $500-$600 depending on where the vehicle is abandoned.

Towing and impound fees has it get expensive relatively quickly.

Yeah, they don't last long out here along US 93.

Regarding abandoned vehicles in snow, when I used to live in MD, and listened to the scanner a lot, AAA response time could be hours.

Posts: 10803 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Unless it's situated such that there's a very real danger due to its location, leave it alone, the last thing whomever left it there probably needs is more cost and bullshit to deal with, and towing and storage fees are an absurd racket in many places - with govt assistance...

A day, a week, it's nothing in a broad sense, aside from the aforementioned exception.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
The NY State Throughway used to have something along the lines of "if your vehicle becomes disable place a white flag in your window and stay with the vehicle. The flag will signify police to stop and render assistance" printed on the toll booth tickets.

Whether it started there or not, I believe it was to act as a signal for LE or highway personnel to show you needed help.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
No one knows the origin of the white fabric out the window?

I was taught in driver's ed that hanging a white cloth out the window/in the door was a signal that you would be back for the car and to please not tow it right away.

I took Driver's Ed in 1998 in Kansas. Don't know if things have changed, or if it's a regional thing or what.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
The NY State Throughway used to have something along the lines of "if your vehicle becomes disable place a white flag in your window and stay with the vehicle. The flag will signify police to stop and render assistance" printed on the toll booth tickets.

Whether it started there or not, I believe it was to act as a signal for LE or highway personnel to show you needed help.

But if you didn't stay with your car you would get citations and not cheap ones. I think that the 70's and 80's BQE and all the junked abandoned cars made NY and the tri-state area Uber sensitive about abandoned cars.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Here in the middle of South Carolina, we used to have a couple good ole boys with a tow truck who would remove the plates and all the VIN #s for you. They'd tow it away for free without you having to ask! However, they'd make up their costs in the form of your hoopty being processed for parts or sold at auction with a title that wasn't quite the original title. Law enforcement had a different view of this "public service" and eventually caught up with them.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
We also have the "Can you take me to a gas station? My car ran out of gas and I called 911 and they said you would help me get gas."

yeah we've got a lot of "drivers" who can't figure out how to keep gas in their cars too..

then they want to know if we will give them a ride to the nearest station and ask for money to pay for the gas....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11312 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
We also have the "Can you take me to a gas station? My car ran out of gas and I called 911 and they said you would help me get gas."

yeah we've got a lot of "drivers" who can't figure out how to keep gas in their cars too..

then they want to know if we will give them a ride to the nearest station and ask for money to pay for the gas....

My favorites are the ones who pass two exits that have gas, get stranded blocking a lane of the bridge, and when you ask why they didn't get gas back there, they state it is ten cents cheaper at the next exit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37121 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida they put an ugly sticker on the window with the date and time, then if it's not removed within 24 hours it gets towed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post