SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pipes rattle when faucet shut off.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pipes rattle when faucet shut off. Login/Join 
posted
Hi folks. I’ve been doing some research online but I thought I’d check in here. As the title says, pipes in the wall rattle when a faucet is shut off.

Been happening for a week in a 25 year old house. No plumbing issues prior.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the opposite which a hammer valve is used for.

Maybe the water system has less pressure than yours and creates a hydraulic vacuum.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

a faucet

A clue.

It only happens when one particular faucet is shut off but not when opened? The hot side of a two handled lavatory sink faucet in a second floor bathroom? But not the shower, which has a single handle faucet?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

a faucet

A clue.

It only happens when one particular faucet is shut off but not when opened? The hot side of a two handled lavatory sink faucet in a second floor bathroom? But not the shower, which has a single handle faucet?

Any sink in the house. When shut off. All faucets are single hot/cold. I’ll see if I can isolate a hot or cold line.

posted Hide Post
Water Hammer Arrestor by Oatey.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appears to be occurring only on the hot line.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A pipe in the basement came loose? And there is an air pocket in the line somewhere?

I'd probably run all the hots at once, then have someone in the basement looking for a shaking shuddering pipe as they are turned off.

posted Hide Post
No basement (townhouse). It’s in the walls. Seems to be in the utility room with the furnace and hot water heater. It could be air? Bleed the lines?

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Do you have a water hammer arrestor on your water heater/hot water line? Mine has an air valve on the top, and I "think" you have to keep some air in the tank to prevent this?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'd check the pressure reducing valve, which is usually right after the main shut off coming into the house. They will wear out over time, and I had similar rattling/hammering until I replaced mine.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Water coming in is colder than it was a few months ago and is expanding more when it's heated by the water heater. Do you have an expansion tank inline after the water heater?

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Do you have a water hammer arrestor on your water heater/hot water line? Mine has an air valve on the top, and I "think" you have to keep some air in the tank to prevent this?

There is a diaphragm, like a basketball, inside of a standard expansion tank. The ones I use are factory pre-charged at 37 psi. If you check your pressure, and water comes out, that means the diaphragm has become compromised. You've also lost the expansion qualities of the expansion tank. A give-away: The relief valve on your boiler kicks off as water expands.

I'm unqualified to speculate if there is a connection here. While I'm pretty much out of residential work now, I never saw many expansion tanks on domestic potable water systems 'back in the day'.

posted Hide Post
If it is just one faucet, it could be as simple as a loose washer, either in the faucet itself or the supply stop to the faucet.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Possibly water hammer. Google "water hammer in house." There are directions for shutting off the main, opening faucets in certain sequence to drain the water from the pipes, then refilling.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
A question I am curious about, other than the annoying rattle of the pipes, is there a consequence of NOT fixing/repairing this problem??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I had the pressure regulators go bad in 2 houses, which sounds identical to your problem.

First house it was just old, 2nd house it was a bad regulator.

This can be easily checked if you know someone who has a gauge which can be hooked up to any sink. It should be close to your main shut off valve, before the valve (I think).

Yes, this can cause problems in the future. Especially if the incoming water is under very high pressure.

I'm not a plumber, but this sounds identical to what both my houses did.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...h_query=water+hammer

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. After a new kitchen faucet was install the pipe rattle occurred.

If my faucet is on the north wall the rattling pipe is on the east wall above the refrigerator.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post