SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need tips for drilling tile
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need tips for drilling tile Login/Join 
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Like many others have stated; Do NOT use any type of impact on tile. No center punch or impact driver. When you drill the hole pull bit out the same way it went in, if you went in at an angle come out at the same angle. do not try to wallow out a hole in tile, You will break it. Put blue tape down the line and mark your holes. Use the plug type cutter with abrasive bonded to the end. Be careful of getting bit too hot then dunking it to cool it's hard on the adhesive bonding the diamond to the bit. Drilling these type of holes many times over the years I just used my fingers to guide the bit to cut through the hard surface just run dril at a very slow speed.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Most of the time, it's smooth sailing, when I encounter very hard stone/ceramic/glass, I actually buy multiple bits and will let them cool off, this is achieving the same thing the water does, without the water. The vacuum offers some cooling and air movement, but the main purpose is debris removal, and that goes a long way.

That's rather interesting. I already bought the QEP setup (which uses water) but I may also try buying another bit and use it in a second drill to avoid having to be re-chucking bits all the time. Then I could try both with and without water and see what differences I notice between the two methods.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post