SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School bus crash in Tennessee
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School bus crash in Tennessee Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised with how safety concious our society is these days that seat belts and airbags haven't been mandated yet.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Frown

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I'm really surprised with how safety concious our society is these days that seat belts and airbags haven't been mandated yet.
I remember reading in Motor Trend an interview with the head of the NHTSA? DOT?. That very question was asked (IIRC, this was back in the '80s). The answer was that with the most charitable math, there was an enormous amount of miles driven per wreck/fatality. So the position was that it was wouldn't effectively lower injuries or death.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:...The inside and outside facing cameras have been turned over to the NTSB...maybe they will shed some more light on the driver's actions...
If it turns out he said something like that to those kids beforehand...I hope he is beat to death in jail!

I prob shouldn't say this, but I wish he could go through your punishment a more than once.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That driver isn't going to last long, one of those parents of a dead child is going to make sure of that.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So when he strolled into his job interview, what was there about this dude that said:
"Hey, what a great choice to drive our kids! He looks so responsible"!
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:...The inside and outside facing cameras have been turned over to the NTSB...maybe they will shed some more light on the driver's actions...
If it turns out he said something like that to those kids beforehand...I hope he is beat to death in jail!

I prob shouldn't say this, but I wish he could go through your punishment a more than once.

If the guards keep getting there in time to break it up before the inmates manage to actually kill the guy, he'll get to go through it again.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheOtherDave:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

If the guards keep getting there in time to break it up before the inmates manage to actually kill the guy, he'll get to go through it again.
Yep, even convicts don't like people who hurt kids.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

As someone that is Very familiar with School buses. 15 yrs driving..and 10 working on them, I can help you here.
School buses are designed to have a small padded area for the students to be in the seats are high backed and close together. This is actually safer for kids than seat belts because there is less pelvic damage in a crash.
I dont want to cause any bad juju but Ohio has only lost one child inside a school bus since 1960.. that is Millions of miles all over the state.
The one child we lost was a very similar accident to the one in Tenn. it was a roof collision, buses are reinforced on all sides but the roof is not really designed for impact.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
His bail was set @ only $20K. What do you want to bet that he doesn't show up to court after his cuz sells the next dope bag and springs him. WTF was the judge thinking?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was because of liability that they didn't have seat belts. How do you guarantee EVERY child wears their seat belt? A driver cannot monitor every kid's belt - they are task saturated as is.. Would they put another adult on every bus to monitor it?

And whose fault is it when an accident occurs and a child wasn't buckled? The parents would sue the school, county, or whatever agency running the busses. I know what I was like as a child - I would not have worn a belt if I didn't want to...

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I always thought it was because of liability that they didn't have seat belts. How do you guarantee EVERY child wears their seat belt? A driver cannot monitor every kid's belt - they are task saturated as is.. Would they put another adult on every bus to monitor it?

And whose fault is it when an accident occurs and a child wasn't buckled? The parents would sue the school, county, or whatever agency running the busses. I know what I was like as a child - I would not have worn a belt if I didn't want to...
Yep. When I rode a bus it was impossible to even keep the kids in their seats--they would not have worn seat belts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enforcement is definitely the real issue. Unless there is a seatbelt monitor on every bus from kindergarten to high school, the kids just won't buckle up, and there's no way the driver could know. But who would be accused of negligence when another kid got hurt? The driver. No way in heaven or hell would I ever consider driving a bus with seat belts installed for the passengers. No way.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
They sure as hell make me wear a seat belt every time I sit down on an airplane. There is no reason this can't be a rule on a school bus

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
When I rode the school bus they stacked us 3 wide which meant the aisle person barely had one cheek on the seat.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
When I rode the school bus they stacked us 3 wide which meant the aisle person barely had one cheek on the seat.

You got part of a seat? I had to stand up until some seats were empty.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

You got part of a seat? I had to stand up until some seats were empty.

3 or 4 stood in back until some were dropped off. After a couple years we finally got a big flat nose bus.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The driver was not even supposed to be on that road...it was not on his bus route...they do not know why he was on it Mad

http://www.chattanoogan.com/20...rash-Somestimes.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I retired, I drove a school bus for ten years. There is no way in hell seatbelts would work on a school bus. That's why they used the idea of padded seating areas to protect the passengers.

This idea has been kicked around for years, but it simply will not work ...unless you have about one adult monitor for every kid on the damn buss. Forget it folks, it just don't work that way. You are just whistling in the wind if you think it would.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Except the last 3 rows that were each seat was occupied by one bully who would beat your ass if you dared sit down without permission

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post