SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When I was a kid, my parents used to scream, "wait 'till you get to the real world!"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When I was a kid, my parents used to scream, "wait 'till you get to the real world!" Login/Join 
posted
Any time as a young boy I didn't agree with them, I got yelled at and told, "Wait until you get into the real world, you'll see how bad things are!"

I was told how cruel people are, and that if you don't pay your bills, the bank immediately throws your stuff on the curb and you're sleeping on the streets.

That if you yawn or complain at your job or don't always work as hard as you possibly can, the boss sends you home and you no longer have employment. That the boss was the "big man" in the corner office and if you cross him, you're dead.

That nobody cares about you, you're just a number and you're always on the razor's edge of unemployment, homelessness, and other poor life decisions.
That you'll just be lucky to be able to work a menial job to pay the bills until you're dead.

I remember a similar spiel from teachers, too.

Ironically, once I graduated college, and got into the "real world" of employment, things aren't nearly as bad as anybody made them out to be. My employers have been friendly and accommodating and supportive. I have sick days, job security and benefits, things I never knew existed when I was taught about employment by my parents.
I thought that if you got sick, you got fired from your job and became homeless.

The irony is, the "real world" of bills, full-time employment, paychecks, responsibility, and other adult things that were supposed to be horrible and stressful are much better than being a child or being in school.

Hell, think that these college professors who talk about the exploitative nature of "big, evil corporations" are taking your money or enslaving you with student loans, whereas these so-called evil corporations are the ones giving you money to work.

All in all, the "real world" is a lot more rewarding than being a dependent child, that's for damn sure.

Yes I do realize some people get a raw deal in life and have bad things happen that they become homeless at no fault of their own, or get sick and lose their job, etc. But that's not every single case like I thought it was. I also recognize I was fortunate enough to be able to go to college and land secure employment.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
All in all, the "real world" is a lot more rewarding than being a dependent child, that's for damn sure.

One of the first things I discovered after leaving home. I have never understood the nostalgia for being a child.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:

big-time

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No threats about the real world from my folks. The threat from them was "I hope you have kids that are just like you"!
That was scary.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Funny. I was telling the Mrs. how my mother always threatened me with "the real world" when I was younger. I'd say it's been pretty easy to be honest.

And the dishwasher. She lied, it works great. Growing up I was made to believe they didn't work worth a damn. Lies.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No threats about the real world from my folks. The threat from them was "I hope you have kids that are just like you"!
That was scary.

got some "just like me" - you have no idea how scary that is....

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Glad some of you had it so easy.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:
quote:
That was scary.

got some "just like me" - you have no idea how scary that is....

Me too! I got lucky, I'm afraid one of em has used his luck up!

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was scary.

My parents wished the same for me and I did x 3.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post