SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insurance folks! Speeding Ticket in Arkansas- Pay extra to call it parking ticket?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance folks! Speeding Ticket in Arkansas- Pay extra to call it parking ticket? Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Well you could ask for that in writing, pay the $200 keep your paperwork and make a citizen arrest for felony extortion........ok sorry lost my mind for a second.

Just lube up and pay the extra 200 to make it go away.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Is the $200 more than a rate increase?

That's really the question I guess I'm asking. May have to break down and call my agent, but figured I'd go to the source for all knowledge first.

I got two tickets within a week of each other (failure to move over for an emergency vehicle and 42 in a 30) in 2012 and my insurance didn't go up any. (The first one, I thought, was bogus, but that's another story.)

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Last ticket I got was a big one - 28 over (in AZ that's "criminal speed") and my insurance either never found out (likely) or didn't care (highly unlikely).
My rate never changed.
I know Farmers doesn't run out of a barn, I've seen the office. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
This isn't your typical speeding thread. We're on page 2, and nobody has chimed in with, "Don't Speed."

Must be a bank holiday or something.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
This isn't your typical speeding thread. We're on page 2, and nobody has chimed in with, "Don't Speed."

So....what kind of radar detector do you recommend? Razz

I would just pay the $200 and be glad it is over with. I have a CDL so having a clean driving record matters more to me because I can lose my license if I get too many tickets. As for your insurance company not finding out, good luck with that. This isn't the 1970s. They probably have programs that scour the different state's records looking for infractions.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:

So....what kind of radar detector do you recommend? Razz

I would just pay the $200 and be glad it is over with. I have a CDL so having a clean driving record matters more to me because I can lose my license if I get too many tickets. As for your insurance company not finding out, good luck with that. This isn't the 1970s. They probably have programs that scour the different state's records looking for infractions.

Do you realize how many BoB SmitH's are out there?? Big Grin Which one are you/?... Robert A or Robert Z?? Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I got hit in Michigan for running a red light. I decided to fight it, went to the court building and when the officer asked me my story I said hey I thought I could make it. I just don't want points. We went into another room and there was judge sitting there. Cop said he doesn't deny it, just doesn't want points. Judge said ok and instead of the $120 running a light fine, wrote me up for defective equipment, no points but $200 fine instead.

It's all just fund raising, and they do a lot of it at the end of the month. And fuck the Ohio turnpike if you have Michigan plates. You will get a ticket for anything, I got one for 4 over and I was merging into the highway. 4 over. And the guy was a total asshole about it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Every state had those methods. NJ called it something but for the life of me I can't remember.

I had to laugh though. The courts and Prosecutor's really suckered them.

They would pay an outrageous fine to get a "no point" summons. I'd try to talk some out of it.

True, they did not get DMV points. what they never told them was they DID get points from their insurance company. I tried to tell them something like a minor speeding or careless operation had two points. It was about a $75.00 fine. They take the online driver ed class and they get a three point credit. The course had a small fee attached.

But they heard "points" and frecked. so they paid a huge fine and then found out weeks later they still got points, just not the ones from the state.

If was a huge ripoff. Soon the state caught on and put restrictions on when that statute could be used.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

They must be busy harassing the jaywalkers and people who take the tags off of mattresses.

But I'll help out.

Don't <whisper>get caught<whisper> speeding.

There. Wink

Radar Detector and Waze App.

Makes you pretty much invincible, assuming you know how to use them and understand you have to be an attentive driver and honor RF energy and Waze reports.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the State would frown on those type of tickets.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think of it this way; I can pay the insurance tax or I can pay the lawyer tax. I paid the lawyer tax and do not have any moving violations or points - a clean driving record.

As for which radar detector to get if you choose to speed, I can't help as I gave up on them years ago. Consider using Waze and drive smart. And if you get pulled over, don't be a dick about it.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't practice in Arkansas, but in my state I have called the judge directly and asked for a deferred sentence for my clients if they accepted a nolo contendere plea and paid court costs and fees with a 90 day probation period. Most municipal judges have been happy with that arrangement and are willing to do a deferred sentence and then expunge it if you pay and don't speed again.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a local lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets. Pay him to go in and handle it for you. You will likely pay him around $100 for this, at least that's what it cost around here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pay the Lawyer tax, or at least consult with one.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Every state had those methods.

No. Not EVERY State.

Montana has no such thing. Up to TEN over a posted HIGHWAY limit is a $20 fine and NO Points.

This is open highway...Not a school zone, construction zone, local street...only the Interstate or State highways.

Not every State uses fines to fund themselves...We don't.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Four or five years ago I got a "rolling stop" ticket, snow covered streets, tee intersection,subdivision street, no other cars, 6" snow and still falling. I stopped but not long enough to satisfy him. Wrote me for disregard traffic device, two points and $135.

I paid it, figured I'd argue with my insurance company, first point violation since 1978, last ticket was an energy ticket in NM, 1982, 70/55, cost a whopping five dollars and no points.

About a month later Secretary of State offers me a Drivers Improvement Class, either in person or online. Either case, expunged points, nothing on my record. Hundred bucks.

Took it, passed. S of S was true to their word, about a year later I renewed my license, nothing on my record.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Arkansas has a speed trap state law that has shut down most of the small towns from ticketing everyone going through it. However, it sounds like you were stopped fair and square.

I was coming south out of Missouri in my 18 wheeler after delivering a load of our stuff we manufacture. Was not paying attention and met a Highway Police unit, glanced at my speed and just pulled over to avoid him chasing me. He was a good guy as most are and saw I had no moving violations so he wrote me a ticket for no registration on the flatbed trailer. Had my office manager pay the ticket and never heard anything else and got no points of rate increase either. Good Luck on your decision!

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on how far you have to drive to get back I'd call and ask about attending drivers school. It's pretty common for them to let you pay the ticket and take the class to keep it off your record. Last one I had said after the class I had to go 6 months with no tickets to keep it off my record. I think my brother even got to do his class online, just had to show up for court on the ticket itself.

And while I can't say for certain this is true, from what I understand an old coworker had gotten 4-5 tickets in the last 3 years in Little Rock but he claims none of them went on his record because he they gave him a civil penalty that had nothing to do with a moving violation and side stepping the Speed Trap law.

And yes, I've heard of numerous people in the state paying extra, making a donation or whatever and the tickets never go on their record.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post