SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insurance folks! Speeding Ticket in Arkansas- Pay extra to call it parking ticket?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance folks! Speeding Ticket in Arkansas- Pay extra to call it parking ticket? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
Went duck hunting with some friends in Arkansas this weekend. On a run over to Mack's Prairie Wings, I managed to get a ticket in Wabbaseka. Might have been doing around 62 in a 45.

Question is, according to my local friends, when I call in to pay the ticket they will offer to convert it to a non moving fine (parking fine) for $200 extra. To me this seems excessive, and I haven't had a speeding ticket in several years, so I wonder if it's worth the extra cost incurred to keep it off my record?

Insurance guys, any input? Pay the $$ or just take the hit?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Is the $200 more than a rate increase?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Talk about government corruption. That’s nothing more than extortion.
If you have an otherwise clean record, I’d say screw them and take a chance that your insurance company doesn’t check.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Is the $200 more than a rate increase?

That's really the question I guess I'm asking. May have to break down and call my agent, but figured I'd go to the source for all knowledge first.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
That's more than 15 over, and my insurance would not overlook that. Might want to check worth your agent (if thou have a good relationship) to see about the rate increase.
I argued a ticket a few years back, they got me for 18 over just after a 10mph drop in the speed zone. I was polite, and the officer dropped it to the 8 over I thought I was going.
Saved me a bit on the ticket, and quite a bit in the insurance.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ignore what 220-9er said, because your insurance will find out. Instead, ask yourself if the extra $200 is worth spending to avoid the time required to take traffic school.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 over in NY in 2008 raised my rates by $200 the first year alone and they stayed higher for at least 3-4 years after that. Pay the extortion now to the state or pay it later to your insurer.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Have you actually received an offer to amend it to a non-moving violation?
Until you do, this is all just speculation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is I have rarely gotten a rate increase with a single speeding ticket and when I did get one for 2 tickets in 2 years, it was like $30 more over 6 months.

Then again I'm sure it depends on your insurance co.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
And for an additional $50, you can call it a charitable contribution and deduct it from your fed taxes (maybe only in CA Wink )

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Find a local lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets. Pay him to go in and handle it for you. You will likely pay him around $100 for this, at least that's what it cost around here.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
[Buzz Lightyear] It's not speeding, it's parking with velocity![/Buzz Lightyear]

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You are at the edge of a high cliff.

Behind you is the insurance agent and the system.

You hear a voice; "Jump off or be pushed off."

The the upside is, you are being offered a choice.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
You are at the edge of a high cliff.

Behind you is the insurance agent and the system.

You hear a voice; "Jump off or be pushed off."

The the upside is, you are being offered a choice.

Perzactly how it feels.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Perzactly ...

What the freak is that? Roll Eyes

Anyway, I'd pay the $200 and be done with it. It is extortion, but such is life.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Precisely + Exactly = Perzactly

Travesty + Sham + Mockery = Traveshamockery

It's like that.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
I saw the cop there in Wabbaseka when we came through weekend before coming home from El Dorado. Must be a newish thing because in the past I've never seen one there.

Here is the scoop. All these Arkansas towns are doing this shit. We went through this with Bald Knob this past summer. If they make it a city ordnance violation it doesn't go on record, they charge double or so what the speeding ticket would be, and the city gets the whole fine.
If they write it as a speeding ticket, goes on record, ticket is less but city has to share revenue with state.
The Bald Knob ticket was a little over $300, didn't show up on her record.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Precisely + Exactly = Perzactly

Travesty + Sham + Mockery = Traveshamockery

It's like that.

Yeah, I know what it is, hence the rolleyes. But don't mind me. Those silly marriages of words are one of many pet peeves of mine.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's out of state they may not find out. At least that was my experience when I lived in Kentucky and got nailed for 3mph over in Ohio. Paid the fine and was done, never saw a rate increase. That was 10ish years ago however, times may have changed and state law will vary I'm sure.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Never heard of a place offering to change the type of violation. Most places will lower the speed or points against the license when you show up in court, but changing the type of violation from speeding to parking??? I'd have to learn/hear more about the legitimacy of that before taking that offer...

If you pay for a speeding ticket in your own state though - your insurance is going to know about it. Unless you get your insurance from some outfit running out of a barn without electricity.

quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
If it's out of state they may not find out. At least that was my experience when I lived in Kentucky and got nailed for 3mph over in Ohio. Paid the fine and was done, never saw a rate increase. That was 10ish years ago however, times may have changed and state law will vary I'm sure.

This depends on the state. Tenn. for example would not pass on the ticket to SC (unless it's recently changed), where NC or GA definitely will.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post