SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic movies now targeted as "racially insensitive" Gone with the wind axed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic movies now targeted as "racially insensitive" Gone with the wind axed Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...pulls-Gone-Wind.html

They DO give a damn: Memphis theater pulls Gone with the Wind after complaints that the Civil War classic is 'racially insensitive'

The Orpheum Theatre in Memphis has pulled showings of Gone with the Wind
Patrons complained the film was racially insensitive after a screening this month
The Civil War era classic depicts slaves and has drawn criticism in the past
The motion picture has become part of a ever growing list of historical references that are up on public chopping block

'Gone With The Wind' has been pulled from a Memphis theater after patrons complained the 1939 Civil War classic is racially insensitive.

Posts: 12729 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Memphis. That figures. Maybe we could have a Spike Lee marathon film festival. Or maybe replace it with Birth of a Nation {1915 edition}. I am sure that the people complaining about Gone with the Wind have never seen the film.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Does that mean an encore of "Blazing Saddles" is out of the question?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In New Jersey around 1973 the entire 6th grade went via school bus to a movie theater and we watched "Gone with the wind".

Since you mentioned "Blazing Saddles"- Could you make that movie today? Funny because the only sane people in the movie are the negroes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13407 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
is this racist?

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
The Dambusters.

Just because Guy Gibson's dog was named Nigger.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Better get Stormy Weather, Green Pastures, Cabin in the Sky, and King of the Zombies while you can.

I have been watching the Blaxploitation genre on YT. A lot of those need to be yanked for being terrible. The Black Gestapo was okay. I will have a go BN too.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So, once the leftists have successfully deleted all traces of slavery, that'll mean it never happened, right?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
What's going to be the next thing they will be on to ? Where the line be final drawn ?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This hits home.
1. I have been a season ticket holder for the Broadway series there for the past 13 years.
2. It is literally two blocks from my office.
3. I informed them (along with MANY others) they have seen the last dime and will not grace the door again. The community that supports the theater here isn't large and from what I have seen the majority of season ticket holders who are the backbone of the theater patrons it are PISSED.

It wasn't patrons from what I can gather as much as it was the commies targeting board members.

It's a shame. I had orchestra level, center aisle seats. Tickets aren't cheap. Lets see how many of the rabble rousing sons of bitches pony up $80 a seat per show - they won't. The theater was a gem to Memphis.

What is so ironic is the first black person to win an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel for her role as Mammy in ... Gone with the Wind.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They won't be happy until the last white conservative is dead. Brutal, but true.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
I would say "unbelievable" but sadly, today it is not.

Gone with the Wind is an important classic in a special class.

What will happen with Amos and Andy, Heckle and Jeckle, Al Jolson and more?

I guess Al Jolson singing "Waiting on the Robert E Lee" is out... It was a different time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZADY7kzv4

Then there's Camptown Races. If the wrong people see Judy Garland doing "Waiting on the Robert E Lee" in 1941 their head will explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEemOfsxhs

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubya:
Then there's Camptown Races. If the wrong people see Judy Garland doing "Waiting on the Robert E Lee" in 1941 their head will explode.
An outcome devoutly to be wished....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So what will happen if the politically correct have their way? Years from now, after all the classics have all but disappeared from the public view, they'll come back in style among the cognoscenti for their "unabashed historical authenticity about race relations". From there they'll become the subjects of college courses. Eventually watching them will become the mark of being an educated, cultured and woke person and at some point, why, everyone will have to see them at least once just because they're.....wait for it......classics!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
They won't be happy until the last white conservative is dead. Brutal, but true.
Then something tells me they're going to be very, very, unhappy.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:

What is so ironic is the first black person to win an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel for her role as Mammy in ... Gone with the Wind.

That's a stunner. It makes you want to do a double take.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19695 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Nevermind that Hattie McDaniel was the first black person to win an Oscar.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
The Dambusters.

Just because Guy Gibson's dog was named Nigger.

A remake of that iconic movie, with Peter Jackson as the director, has been held up for around ten years because Guy Gibson's dog was called 'Nigger'.

There was talk of re-naming it 'Digger' or 'Trigger' but both names have already been taken by an Australian and a horse.

Right now, all I can think of is 'Snigger' - that just about sums the whole thing up.

When I was on my Dutch exchange squadron as the Ops Officer, one of our pilots, from Dutch Surinam,was actually called Sambo de Vries - not a nickname, but his real actual birthname. He was also as black as the ace of spades, and revelled in the awkward feeling that some folks assumed when they heard us talking to him or even about him.

His name was proudly displayed on the side of his F16, too.

tac

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26460 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get 'em a zebra?

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post