SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I use Neosporin on a dog?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use Neosporin on a dog? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Our Shih Tzu came home from the groomer yesterday with a nicked eyelid. After a few hours it started to bleed a little, but has since stopped. Is it OK to put a little dab of Neosporin on the cut to prevent an infection?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you should be fine. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yep, it won't hurt them at all, even if they digest a little of it.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I only use ophthalmic antibiotic cremes near the eye. The typical types that are found in the drug/ grocery stores can damage the eye if they get on it. Dogs will rub their eyes with their paws and legs. The label on the generic antibiotic creme I have indicates NOT to get it in the eyes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
On a dog, OK.
On his eyelid, no.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Neosporin burns if you get it in the eyes. But other than that, it is fine for dogs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I'm currently using a Neosporin/Polymyxin B/Dexamethsone eye drop on one of the dogs.

So yes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
When our cat had a facial wound, the vet said use triple anti-biotic.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
yes you can just rub it in good because they will lick it

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit of a different view, but why bother at all? You said its only a nick, and dogs by nature heal pretty quick/well, so why not just watch it and let it heal on its own.

And as others have already noted, Neosporin in general is fine on dogs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
We use it when the dogs get puncture wounds or cuts. It works. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post