SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Advice on How To Deal With A Work Situation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice on How To Deal With A Work Situation Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
1st world problems

My company was auctioning off old samples and items to employees. They had a Panasonic GH3 mislabled as a GF3 as well as a GF3. I saw it in person and took a picture last Thursday with the auction ending on Sat.

Come Monday, I won both auctions and came to collect. The $60 GF3 was present but the $500 GH3 magically went missing. I wont the GF3 for $16 and the GH3 for $25. It's been two days and they can't find it anywhere. It was in possession of HR the entire time.

Now they are telling me tough luck and I'm pissed. The only options are: someone took it for a sample (work related) despite the LARGE sign saying do NOT take items for the auction, someone stole it during the item viewing, or one of the girls in HR kept it for themselves and pretended that it magically went missing.

I am going to address this with the head of HR as I won the auction fair and square and there is no reason for them to lose company property. Other than demanding to look at the security footage for the culprit, is there anything else I can do?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'easy come - easy go' comes to mind.

Its not like you worked hard for it.

I wouldn't sweat it but I would take note of the parties involved for future reference. True colors and all that...

(will you at least get your money back ??)

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
An olde adage which I just made up: On rare occasions, the one who has the problem, is the problem.

If it's been stolen and was done so by someone up the chain of command from you, you are only inviting trouble. I would not want to become the problem.

But then I'm too old to take on such a fight. You may be in better shape to handle such a battle than I.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many waves do you want to make,where you earn your living?

Is it worth it for a $500.00 item?

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My dad told me once, don't shit where you eat. Do you really want to drop a turd in the HR department over an item that you bid on knowing it was mislabeled and potentially selling for way under its real value. I would let it go, as in never mention it again to anyone at your work.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Let it go.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can understand your annoyance. If I thought I was getting something for nothing, then it turned out I wasn't, I'd be disappointed, too. But I suspect this is a battle you can't win.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way - you just saved $25.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Always pick your battles carefully. This is one I'd walk away from.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
what txjim said, 100%.

forget about it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My former employer stopped auctions for similar reasons.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I know sometimes it's not a good idea to make waves where you work, especially over $25.00.
But...if you feel real strong about this, and you won the auction, then seeing that the one you won "disappeared" tell them they owe you a new one for $25.00.
But if it were me, I'd say...screw it and move on.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'd burn down the building.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let it go, you'll make ememies.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'd burn down the building.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I would still meet with the HR manager, but with a different take. My position would be along the lines of...

I just want to make sure you're aware of this because if it's this easy to steal a camera from behind locked HR doors, what else might they have stolen that we don't know about? My concern is for company and once a thief gets one item, they are going to try for more over time.

I agree with the others that the job is more important. This is a way to show management that you are thinking about the company as a whole.

Turn the situation around, yes this sucks that a thief works here ~ so how do we protect our product, how do we reduce employee theft?

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thievery is afoot. Keep an eye on your red Swingline.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
GF3 gnomes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
1st world problems

My company was auctioning off old samples and items to employees. They had a Panasonic GH3 mislabled as a GF3 as well as a GF3...

When I read this, I thought you were about to ask how to handle letting them know it was mislabeled. Or about to ask us to tell you what you already knew- the right thing to do was to let them know it was mislabeled.

So, since you took the other approach, I think you pretty much need to let it go. They will certainly scratch their heads and wonder why you are so upset over $25 that you don't have to pay. Unless you tell them that it was a $500 camera that you were getting on the cheap because it was mislabeled. Neither is a good option. Let it go.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
No good can come from pursuing this.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post